Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Love my new FJ- was a real trooper in the deep snow last week.

However, once the snow was packed the truck back door would squeak and rattle over the rough snow packed surface. It's quiet on the pavement.

I though that was unusual given the low mileage. My Monty was never like that.

Do you off-road guys hear the back door making any groaning??

Also have a vibration in the dash somewhere (sounding out more on low rpms)... maybe anyone has that?

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
My 2010 AG has a squeek/groan that I haven't been able to pinpoint yet. It sounds like its coming from the passenger side suicide door, or maybe the subwoofer box area. One day when I have nothing else to do (like that ever happens) I plan to start taking stuff out until I eliminate the noise.

I don't know if the noise that I hear in my FJ is the same as yours Ken but if I isolate mine, I'll let you know what I found.

·
Registered
460 Posts
That's pretty general information... And squeaks are usually a PITA to locate... That said, I usually employ a fairly easy method of tracking down rattles on my FJ40. It is as follows. Get a friend to drive around bumpy roads while I sit in the back. Once I locate said rattle, rear jump seat stow strap, rear ambulance door striker... etc, I formulate a means of silencing.
I've got a 2010 FJ and so far no rattles. But if it's coming from the rear door I'd take a look at the struts.. The struts in my 79 Porsche like to voice their opinion of bumpy surfaces. I'd also make sure your rear glass is latched. With the rear door closed and latched, I'd tug on the handle (without opening) to feel for play. Striker plates can sometimes be an issue, even on newer vehicles. Depends how loud the sound is, but do you have a roof rack? Could it be loose? I'd just start grabbing and yanking on stuff until something shows play.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had a noise that I thought could have been the rear door, but was the rear seat clicking a little over bumps where it is received by the latch. Some have used electrical tape in there to silence it, i just slammed it in to place and seems to have gone away.

·
Registered
5,369 Posts
My rear door hinge bolts were fairly loose. I tighened them and all the noise went away.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have an 2008 and I though my Rear Door was the culprit too. But after a lot of time tracking down the squeak, check the rear passanger seatback lock. The rear seat lock as it latches against the latch really can squeak. I just squirted some white lithium grease in the latch area (on back of the rear passanger seat and the bolt that is attached to the truck......and......silence. That peaky squeak has never returned and if it does, a quick squirt will do it.

Hope it helps.

·
Banned
393 Posts
SOCAL GREENFJ and 08FJ are probably right. Many FJ's (including mine) have this issue - "noisy" back seat locks. This is especially noticeable on humid days. A little bit of silicone lubricant will take care of it. I don't recommend using electrical tape because you don't want to tamper with the latch functionality - it's an important safety device that helps to prevent heavy stuff in the back of the car from hitting your in case of an accident. I have a friend who had an accident while carrying a case of beer (in glass bottles) in the back of his SUV - it took several hours of surgery to extract all the broken glass pieces from his back.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow!

Thanks guys for the info- I will check into each suggestion.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Love my new FJ- was a real trooper in the deep snow last week.

However, once the snow was packed the truck back door would squeak and rattle over the rough snow packed surface. It's quiet on the pavement.

I though that was unusual given the low mileage. My Monty was never like that.

Do you off-road guys hear the back door making any groaning??

Also have a vibration in the dash somewhere (sounding out more on low rpms)... maybe anyone has that?
I have a horrible squeaking and creaking from my rear door now that the temps dropped into the teens. Never hear anything from back there when the temp was in the 20's or 30's. Must be the extreme cold.

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
I just want to share my situation...I spent months trying to track that annoying squeak down...I removed every damned inside panel and seats until I found it.

On your rear bumper...If you have stood up on it you most likely have compressed the styrafoam inside the bumper and the rubber shell (tupperware) You can take off the bumper skin and put a piece of rubber or as some have used material as a go between the bumper skin and styrafoam! There is another thread on this situation and it is disscussed in detail...hope it works out for u.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I hate to say it, but with any dealer when you take your vehicle in for rattles, there's about a 95% chance it will come back with the invoice marked "cannot reproduce."

The other 5%? They say they did something about it but you hear it start rattling again as you pull out of the parking lot. :(

(Sorry, but I've had the same experience with several different dealers on several different makes of vehicles; unless it's something obviously falling off the vehicle most techs spend 15 seconds looking for it and then just give up.)

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
I have a horrible squeaking and creaking from my rear door now that the temps dropped into the teens. Never hear anything from back there when the temp was in the 20's or 30's. Must be the extreme cold.
Once we got down below zero, I started hearing a whole bunch of squeaking, rattling, creaking that I'd never heard before. I'm not even going to think about worrying about it until we break into the positive teens again.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yo!
I've got a 2010 TT that just turned 4k miles...had it only 5 months.
Hasn't even been off-road yet! (I know...flame away!) :flamed:
Got a squeak/creak inside somewhere...
Very mild, but still unacceptable as far as I'm concerned. After spending the coin I did on this thing, I kinda expected that it'd be a while before I had any issues of this sort...
A little early in the game for this, I think.
Got a date with the 'yota dealer tomorrow am...
Expecting the same story; "Can't duplicate", or "Can't find it"...
Guess we'll see.

·
Registered
113 Posts
i've had that squeaky sound forever!!! it seems like when i go mud ridding it starts and when i go again it quits. mine sounds like something rattling and squeaking its weird, i hear it in the back left of the fj

·
Registered
47 Posts
I had a creaking in the rear passenger seat area of my 2011 FJ. I narrowed it down to the rear seat passenger side folding seatback. Like others here have said, it is apparently a not-too-uncommon problem with the FJs.

The technician at the dealership knew of other FJs with this problem and adjusted and lubed the rear seat latch. Problem solved.

I suggest you fold down the passenger side rear seatback and see if the noise goes away. That is what I did...

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yo!
Yota dealer supposedly found a wiring connector rubbing the body behind the back door panel. Covered it with "felt" and so far so good.
Only problem is that they scratched the hell out of my rear bumper top cover climbin' around in back...
Had to [email protected]*#h about that. I know these things will happen, but I didn't do it.
They're gonna replace it, so looks like that problem will be resolved as well.

Thanx for all for the pointers...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Resolved!!!!!: New FJ, 3k mls - rear door squeaky and groany...

Guys thanks!!

This issue is resolved, the culprit WAS the back right seat...

It was adjust or lubed by the dealer who was kind enough to ride in the back trunk to locate the squeak.

FYI for everyone who has a similar issue.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts