Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

101 - 120 of 175 Posts

·
fka JimmyHoops
2,839 Posts
Re: New FJ....and custom sliders

Even with shipping, you have to admit that they are a better deal (not to mention more functional) than the Toyota supplied part. Once again, it's great to see American enginuity and entreprenurial spirit at its finest!

In the winter, I plan on using my Thule Evolution box to store skis and other gear. This fusion between the practical nature of rock rails combined with the useful step of running boards will serve this dual purpose well.

Can't wait to see the final production versions of their front and rear bumpers. Thanks Andy, for getting the ball rolling on all three efforts.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts

I'll continue waiting for my Toyota Rock Rails. I like the amount of 'stick out' on these, but the rest of it just doesn't do it for me. Sorry. They don't look finished yet.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts

i wanna see them finished and powdercandied before i plunck down my dollares. with that said im leaning towards bentup because they are a local shop and the design looks more solid and useful. word is that Aandy might be making an appearance at the hollister mud n yer crack event this saturday - if that's so, take pictures dammit!!! wish i could be there.

other reason im waiting is to see where the bentup front bumper goes - how it will finish up. maybe get a package deal and just drive to the shop and have em slap it on my rig for me - saving 'you spend all your time on that fj' headaches from the family :D

oh yea, and i want a little bentup sticker if i get the bumper AND the sliders. deal breaker if i cant get that.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts

billthomson said:
Have any of you who were purchasing these received them yet?
My powder coated set shipped out yesterday. Will be here tomorrow...

--Bill

·
Registered
206 Posts

bigbill25 said:
My powder coated set shipped out yesterday. Will be here tomorrow...

--Bill
Hoping you'll take some pictures as soon as you get them mounted. I do like the design of these a lot, that's why I cancelled the Toyota rails.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts

billthomson said:
Hoping you'll take some pictures as soon as you get them mounted. I do like the design of these a lot, that's why I cancelled the Toyota rails.
I would love too, but I leave for a trip Saturday morning so don't think I'll have time... I might be able to give you a picture of them in the box!

--Bill

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #107

caliFJ said:
i wanna see them finished and powdercandied before i plunck down my dollares. with that said im leaning towards bentup because they are a local shop and the design looks more solid and useful. word is that Aandy might be making an appearance at the hollister mud n yer crack event this saturday - if that's so, take pictures dammit!!! wish i could be there.

other reason im waiting is to see where the bentup front bumper goes - how it will finish up. maybe get a package deal and just drive to the shop and have em slap it on my rig for me - saving 'you spend all your time on that fj' headaches from the family :D

oh yea, and i want a little bentup sticker if i get the bumper AND the sliders. deal breaker if i cant get that.
I don't think I will head down there.....mostly cause I can't get in and wheel with everyone. 2nd reason is I don't consider the front bumper "finshed"....for ME, cause the solenoid box is not mounted yet (going to try and mount it behind the bumper, and then re-wire the control plug, and relocate that to the top of the bumper itself.....and I also want to plasma cut a 'window' on top of the bumper. Then I wil paint it nice and pretty like and consider it 'done'....BUT; Now I am toying with the idea of Frank Raines on Sunday.....hmmm........

If your local to bentup, like I said before; AJ will be glad to install whatever you order for ya....and he has a new shipment of stickers in many different colors too!

He has another FJ to do this weekend, someone wants a front bumper, sliders, and a rear bumper....all powdercoated....His will be the prototype rear bumper....although talking with him today, sounds like he will just do the front and the sliders. I don't think this person is on this forum though, he got Bentup's name from 4 wheel parts in Sac.

Sliders are a finshed design, I personally saw the template sitting in his shop....Its basically one side, all welded to gether with a jig attached for the bolt pattern template....I should have taken a pic of it. Next time I will..

·
Registered
2,057 Posts

Angry Andy said:
I don't think I will head down there.....mostly cause I can't get in and wheel with everyone. 2nd reason is I don't consider the front bumper "finshed"....for ME, cause the solenoid box is not mounted yet (going to try and mount it behind the bumper, and then re-wire the control plug, and relocate that to the top of the bumper itself.....and I also want to plasma cut a 'window' on top of the bumper. Then I wil paint it nice and pretty like and consider it 'done'....BUT; Now I am toying with the idea of Frank Raines on Sunday.....hmmm........

If your local to bentup, like I said before; AJ will be glad to install whatever you order for ya....and he has a new shipment of stickers in many different colors too!

He has another FJ to do this weekend, someone wants a front bumper, sliders, and a rear bumper....all powdercoated....His will be the prototype rear bumper....although talking with him today, sounds like he will just do the front and the sliders. I don't think this person is on this forum though, he got Bentup's name from 4 wheel parts in Sac.

Sliders are a finshed design, I personally saw the template sitting in his shop....Its basically one side, all welded to gether with a jig attached for the bolt pattern template....I should have taken a pic of it. Next time I will..
does bentup offer any kind of spousal conseling program explaining why the bumper and sliders are so important?? grrrrr.............:D this might result in many months of ass kissing (on top of the years i currently owe)

·
Registered
206 Posts

Andy -

Are all the connections on the bentup sliders solid welds? It looked to me like in your pictures the connections to the mounting brackets were spot welds. In our climate if there are any openings we'll get salt water inside & they'll rust from the inside out..

·
Registered
2,281 Posts

billthomson said:
Andy -

Are all the connections on the bentup sliders solid welds? It looked to me like in your pictures the connections to the mounting brackets were spot welds. In our climate if there are any openings we'll get salt water inside & they'll rust from the inside out..
I should have them in my grubby little paws in a couple hours... I'll let you know.

--Bill

·
Registered
982 Posts

bigbill25 said:
I should have them in my grubby little paws in a couple hours... I'll let you know.

--Bill
Try and post those pics. I know you're getting ready to split somewhere, but I suspect many of us would like to see how the powdercoating came out!

Thanks,
-JG-

·
Registered
2,281 Posts

JohnGalt said:
Try and post those pics. I know you're getting ready to split somewhere, but I suspect many of us would like to see how the powdercoating came out!

Thanks,
-JG-
That I can do. Just don't know if I can get them on the rig.

--Bill

·
Registered
206 Posts

bigbill25 said:

--Bill
Lucky dog! And your shipping'll be a fraction of mine too!

If you could let me know if there are any mounting "issues" too that'd be great (ie how easy it is to route the E-brake cable around the slider supports). I may have them shipped to a relatives place in VT, I'll be there in a couple of months but only passing by, so I'd need to make sure I could get them mounted up quickly since there won't be space inside for them...

-BT

·
Registered
2,281 Posts

Delivered!

They come shipped in about 500 layers of Saran-Wrap (that's an 8.5"x11" piece of paper for size reference):

The only issue I saw with shipping was a couple of the corners rubbed through on the brackets and scratched the powder coat:

These things are beefy. Very beefy. UPS ship weight is 35 lbs. each. The powder coat looks very nice:

The welds are complete. No need to worry about water getting in. While the welds don't look the artistry you will see on a Klein or Cannondale bike, they are more than up for the task at hand:

The only issue with the powder coat was this one chip:

What should I do with that???

No mounting hardware was shipped with them. I e-mailed Emily and she quickly replied that she realized that and shipped the mounting bits yesterday, so I will have them tomorrow...

For even larger versions of these pictures, see my gallery...

--Bill

·
Registered
2,694 Posts

Bill, Be sure to taking installation pictures (during and after) and critic the fit-up for us. The finished rails look really good.

·
Registered
883 Posts

bigbill25 said:
The only issue with the powder coat was this one chip:

What should I do with that???

I wouldn't worry about that if you actually intend to use them for what they are designed for. They'll have alot more scratches and scrapes all over them in the near future! :D

·
Registered
2,281 Posts

Kansas Law Dog said:
Bill, Be sure to taking installation pictures (during and after) and critic the fit-up for us. The finished rails look really good.
I'll try... On installs, I tend to get into things and forget the camera!

--Bill

·
Registered
2,281 Posts

sikocycles said:
What was the total price of the shipped
$505, made up, powdercoated and shipped to my door...

--Bill

·
Registered
2,694 Posts

bigbill25 said:
$505, made up, powdercoated and shipped to my door...
Versus port or dealer installed for $575 MSRP. I hope Bentup holds the price for six month, this looks like the way to go.

101 - 120 of 175 Posts