Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hi Everyone

I purchased a 2007 FJ cruiser and my FJ does not have these pieces. If i get a skid plate, will it replace these two pieces or go over them? What would ya'll suggest? Replacing with OEM or just going aftermarket? Thank you. I'm not a huge off roader but at least want SOME protection down there.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Skids won't do much to protect engine bay. I would get these:

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Aftermarket ones will replace them. You might just want the new OEM TRD aluminum one if you are not planning on really getting into them. This doesnt help with the engine plate though....mainly just the front "bash plate" part.

Another more inexpensive lightweight option are the ARB ones, Thinner steel.

And there are others. RCI, Ricochet, Bud Built, and so on. - Can do some or all the pieces...your call. There is a skid plate comparison thread somewhere in here.

(sonof40, I think OP said splash guards but meant skids based on the image)

·
Banned
890 Posts
My ricochet skids needs the original plates in place; but they are relatively old so the design may have changed.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Yeah I too have the O.G. Ricochets that require the OEM skids. They dont make them any longer (been a long time) so not much worry about accidentally purchasing them.

·
Registered
194 Posts
For those of you running the older style Riccochet plates - after the stock splash guard rusts away to nothing, you can use aluminum spacers between the crossmember and plate in place of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
For those of you running the older style Riccochet plates - after the stock splash guard rusts away to nothing, you can use aluminum spacers between the crossmember and plate in place of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can, but they wont be protecting well at that point....the double shear you would put on the bolts would just break them. I actually put my front bash plate on without the stock skid during the winter just to be there to defer road spray. It wouldnt hold up to any hits though.

Stock skids wont rust away if you use Fluid Film! ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts

Hi Everyone

I purchased a 2007 FJ cruiser and my FJ does not have these pieces. If i get a skid plate, will it replace these two pieces or go over them? What would ya'll suggest? Replacing with OEM or just going aftermarket? Thank you. I'm not a huge off roader but at least want SOME protection down there.
You could just go ahead and look at aftermarket armor

·
Registered
597 Posts
Or... with so many guys buying aftermarket skids, I bet there’s someone out there with the O skids collecting dust in the garage.

Someoneon those site bought my OEM front skid plate after I upgraded. I might have let it go for fifty bucks 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

·
Registered
11 Posts

Hi Everyone

These plates rust like you can not believe. There was a post on this site that lists all the options for replacing these and I thought I had a link which I sent to a friend, but I could not find it. On my 2008 with about 68,000 miles I have removed these twice - sanded them down, applied rust converter and repainted - the first time with a KBS treatment and paint which did not hold up and again this summer and coated with Gempler rust converter, two coats of Tractor Supply flat black truck and tractor paint and then two coats of an aluminum rust preventing paint from Do It Best hardware and they are better but have already started to rust again. My Auto body shop did get some for their friend from the dealer and they were about $500. When mine go I will be replacing with somthing different.

·
A-Team Moderator
9,430 Posts
Or... with so many guys buying aftermarket skids, I bet there’s someone out there with the O skids collecting dust in the garage.

Someone on those site bought my OEM front skid plate after I upgraded. I might have let it go for fifty bucks 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️
Marketplace $50 (y) I check Marketplace and Craigslist daily for take off parts.

·
Registered
597 Posts
These plates rust like you can not believe. There was a post on this site that lists all the options for replacing these and I thought I had a link which I sent to a friend, but I could not find it. On my 2008 with about 68,000 miles I have removed these twice - sanded them down, applied rust converter and repainted - the first time with a KBS treatment and paint which did not hold up and again this summer and coated with Gempler rust converter, two coats of Tractor Supply flat black truck and tractor paint and then two coats of an aluminum rust preventing paint from Do It Best hardware and they are better but have already started to rust again. My Auto body shop did get some for their friend from the dealer and they were about $500. When mine go I will be replacing with somthing different.
Hmm, interesting. 🤔🤔🤔

I would bet the rusting problem you’re experiencing has more to do with what you’re exposing them to than with the skids themselves.

I mean, steel is steel, right? Granted there are variations and higher and lower quality alloys, but if you cleaned and re-painted them multiple times and they’re still rusting, you’ve got a serious problem and the material is probably not it

Dan

·
Registered
597 Posts
...There was a post on this site that lists all the options for replacing these...
I think it’s here:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts