Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Sooo, I'm picking up my new 2014 FJ Trail Teams Edition on Thursday May 18 in the DC area and will need to make a fairly quick trip back to Kansas. A couple questions:

1) I would like to hit an Off Road Park on the way back from DC to KS. Any suggestions that might be along the way?

2) How protected is the underside of the stock FJ?

3) Any other suggestions for a Newbie to the FJ world and really a newbie to going off-road?

Thank you so much!

John

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
2) How protected is the underside of the stock FJ? Not very, stock skids are paper thin.

3) Any other suggestions for a Newbie to the FJ world and really a newbie to going off-road? Bring a buddy with another truck and recovery equipment. You don't want to get stuck in the middle of the woods alone without a winch or another truck with straps.
I'm sure you're excited to get the new truck, I was too! But if I were you I'd get it home and give it a once over before hitting any trails, especially if you need to make a "fairly quick trip" home. Break something and it could turn into a "very long trip home" especially if you're not familiar with trail repairs yet.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Hello,

Sooo, I'm picking up my new 2014 FJ Trail Teams Edition on Thursday May 18 in the DC area and will need to make a fairly quick trip back to Kansas. A couple questions:

1) I would like to hit an Off Road Park on the way back from DC to KS. Any suggestions that might be along the way?

2) How protected is the underside of the stock FJ?

3) Any other suggestions for a Newbie to the FJ world and really a newbie to going off-road?

Thank you so much!

John
1. The only two I know of in KS are Kansas Rocks and Tuttle Creek. Tuttle is in Randolph, not sure where exactly KS Rocks is, but I think farther West. If Kansas is home base, hit up @Iconic_ , he's our resident Kansas expert. Ideally, never wheel alone. Getting stuck/breaking down becomes much worse when you're alone.

2. Does your new FJ have the TRD aluminum skid? If so, you're ahead of the game a little, but there's still a lot that can get rearranged by rocks. I've been to Summit twice and Tuttle twice with just stock skids. You have to be careful where you catch rocks and things, because if you wheel, you will have to hit a few rocks on the underside at some point.

3. Two suggestions: Make friends with some FJ people in your area and learn everything you can about your new FJ ASAP (read the manual and this forum).

EDIT: One more thing. You can't be afraid to scratch it!

·
Premium Member
8,334 Posts
@BeckmanGuy congrats on the FJ! There are two options in Kansas. Kansas Rocks Park down in SE Kansas by Fort Scott, and Tuttle Creek by Randolph. You will be fine at both places alone if you play it safe as there is still a lot a stock FJ can handle but it's always a good idea to go with another vehicle. Stock skids and no sliders will last you awhile but if you play very often you might consider upgrading or at least lifting it. Better yet if you already have offroading experience. If you are going to go to one or the other on a weekend I would be more than happy to show you around. Let me know, feel free to PM me if you want to talk about any of this!

This is where I usually post when I go: http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/mid-west-region/10453-kansas-city-area-fjs-51.html

There is also a Kansas City Tacoma Facebook Club page and a decent group of guys from there who occasionally form groups and make it to the parks.

Hope to see you around! :wave: If all else fails I pretty much have to travel through Wichita on the way to Kansas Rocks so I would be easy to meet up some other time.

·
Registered
409 Posts
There is something special about picking up your new ride and having a long drive home.

In 2010 I picked up a 2008 BMW M5 with 21k miles - in Washington DC (flew up). Drove it home to NC the same day (5-6 hr drive). One of the best drives of my life.

Don't be too quick about offroading her - unless you know these vehicles. I assume you have time and intend to keep it for a while. How many miles on the rig? Maybe it needs some TLC before a hard ride?

Good luck either way and enjoy!

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
Welcome! (I grew up near Wichita!) :)

Reactions: BeckmanGuy

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just made it to Wichita myself from Minnesota for a graduation. I only saw one other FJ on the trip down here, but seen 6 alone today. Have a good trip.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Green Ridge State Forest In Maryland has some nice trails to their wilderness campsites. Not a huge challenge, but it will whet your appetite for more.

Check Jeepism.com for descriptions of some trails in the Daniel Boone National Forest near Lexington Kentucky. We had hoped to drive these trails this week but the weather did not cooperate.

We just finished a 2800 mile round trip to Smoky Mountains National Park. I had a heck of a time getting the keys away from her. I may have to buy her one of her own.

BTW, we picked up our '12 TT in Tacoma last Fourth of July and drove it home to Minnesota. Google says its 1600 miles. Clocked in at 2500 after all our mountain passes and fire roads. It took us nine days and we had a blast. It was a great way to discover the FJ's capabilities, and ours.

Enjoy your new toy. Be safe. Remember the Boy Scout motto "Be Prepared".

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
6,622 Posts
You're gonna have such a great experience...how wonderful!! Congrats and welcome from VT :rocker:

·
Desert Moderator
7,748 Posts
Welcome from Dubai.
Get to know her before you have too much fun. You need to know how to push her buttons first (so to speak) - read the manual - especially the bits about how the 4WD system works and turning off TRC/VSC, and remembering that unless the rear diff is locked, ABS is active. Also learn how to lock the rear properly.

·
Premium Member
970 Posts
Congrats and welcome from Georgia!

Reactions: BeckmanGuy

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I can' tell you enough how much I appreciate all of your posts and replies. Thank you everyone for the great information. I will definitely take it easy for a while until I get comfortable with how she operates. It should be a fun trip and hopefully we'll be able to take a few back roads to get a feel. This forum is wonderful and I'm enjoying all of the threads, the advice, the pics! Talking about pics, I'll share a pic once I pick it up at the end of this week! Thanks again and greetings from Kansas! - John

1 - 15 of 15 Posts