Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, just got me a '08 Voodoo 4x4. LOVE IT!
I have $800 bucks to mess with for now.
I will be doing what you may consider "lite" off roading.
Mostly just off the beaten path through Florida scrub.
I have narrowed down my first two items as:

1) U-haul trailer hitch. ($250 installed) Why are these not standard? lol

2) Brush guard. (under $650)

I think a brush guard as it is more likely right now for me to beat the front lenses to bits than hit a huge rock and tear the undercarriage off.

What are your opinions on u-haul hitches?

What is a good option for the brush guard. I would like to entertain the idea of a winch in the future.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
I'd get the factory hitch. They provide the best clearance.I would also stay away from the brush guards, and put that money towards a winch bumper. My .02 Welcome!:cheers:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd get the factory hitch. They provide the best clearance.I would also stay away from the brush guards, and put that money towards a winch bumper. My .02 Welcome!:cheers:
Interesting. shouldn't I protect those plastic lights on the ends? Why should I stay away from a brush guard?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I'd second Cnckart on the factory hitch, its probably cheaper than $250 as well.

The brush guard will look good but won't provide much function IMO. It is your FJ though so do what you want.

If you do not have slider's I'd recommend them, there are serveral vendors here selling them including:
AllPro
Budbuilt
Metal Tech
Demello
Expedition One
and i'm sure there are more that i'm forgetting.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The OEM sliders are good too.
The OEM hitch is $250 plus $150 install. I will go with that.

OK, so I bought it used. It has what appear like sliders. They look kinda wimpy. I am guessing they are just steps.

I will be doing more trail driving than real off roading like I see here. That why I thought the brush guard would be good. So what should I do to protect those lights from the Florida scrub?

What is a low cost bumper? I don't want to be upgrading my suspension to support it.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts

OK, so I bought it used. It has what appear like sliders. They look kinda wimpy. I am guessing they are just steps.

I will be doing more trail driving than real off roading like I see here. That why I thought the brush guard would be good. So what should I do to protect those lights from the Florida scrub?

What is a low cost bumper? I don't want to be upgrading my suspension to support it.
1. A brush guard is a bad idea because they tend to become damage multipliers. If you hit something with it, it pushes inself into other items such as your lights, etc.

2. Low weight is what you are looking for when it comes to upgrading the suspension. The problem with that is you tend to get more expensive when you weigh less....There are several bumpers that work though without any suspension upgrades, Aluminess, Metal Tech, Demello to name a few.

·
Registered
549 Posts
You might be interested in the winch bumper found HERE Some people dont like the look & fact that its aluminum but for the usage I needed it is great & can be used with or without a winch until you get the money. Plus it gives you a brush guard for some added protection. If you check that website regularly they often do 10 to 15% off. I got mine during a 15% off deal for under $800 shipped to the door. Just a thought.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You might be interested in the winch bumper found HERE Some people dont like the look & fact that its aluminum but for the usage I needed it is great & can be used with or without a winch until you get the money. Plus it gives you a brush guard for some added protection. If you check that website regularly they often do 10 to 15% off. I got mine during a 15% off deal for under $800 shipped to the door. Just a thought.
I like it. What do you others think of it? I mean, I like the looks of it. I know nothing of the functionality.

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
$150 for install??? Man it's like 4 bolts. It's a DIY, for sure.

I'd go with the OEM Hitch and some Rock Sliders (again, these have just a few bolts, you just need a good ratchet set and some jack stands OR a buddy and some beer).

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

I'd go with the OEM Hitch and some Rock Sliders (again, these have just a few bolts, you just need a good ratchet set and some jack stands OR a buddy and some beer).
I think you are right about the hitch. I may do it myself.

As for rock sliders, I will post pics of what I have. I am guessing they will end up on sale here. lol

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

So you think I should get the sliders instead of the bumper?

·
Registered
549 Posts
I like it. What do you others think of it? I mean, I like the looks of it. I know nothing of the functionality.
What most people dont like about it I liked the most. Its aluminum therefore its only about 70 lbs, in comparison to other bumpers of this size (ie ARB, etc.) it is in some cases half the weight. Which means you dont have to worry as much about suspension sag. That being said, it cant accomodate some of the heavier duty winches because its not made from steel and is not quite as strong. I dont plan on adding more than an 8500 lb winch anyways so it worked for me. If you ask me the construction of this bumper is very tough. It also is close to the shape/size of the stock bumper which I liked because it doesn't expose all the suspension components in the front as much but with that you trade off approach angle over some others bumpers (ie road armor, Demello, etc.) Its really all in what your purpose is, for me my FJ sees street duty 95% of the time, if not more right now. One thing to consider is I wouldn't run this bumper without adding lights in the pockets.

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
Hello & Welcome!

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
So where at in FL are you?

Trailgear is the cheapest slider out there (except for used)
Trail Gear

I agree about the brush guard. We bought one, and ultimately never opened the box. I need to get around to selling it. There are a number of bumper options out there, price is going to be a good bit more for a bumper than a brush guard. You should also figure out what type of bumper you like, plate or tube. Stan over at TheToyOutfitters makes a very stout tube bumper at a very reasonable price.
TheToyOutfitters

Also, Wink 82, correct me if I'm wrong but the bumper you have doesn't look the same as the one in the picture right? I could be wrong but I thought the body armor bumper looked slightly different than the one pictured on their page, because the one on their page is in fact the Jeep design. Is this true? Can we see a picture of your front end? Thanks.

Personally, if I had $800, I'd get me a new suspension by OME (Old Man Emu)
OME

1 - 20 of 38 Posts