Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I just wanted to introduce myself. I picked up a 2011 FJ 3 or 4 weeks ago. This is my first 4x4 and so far I have little to no experience with off-roading (although I have driven cars up some gnarley stuff and never had a casualty). I backpack, hike, fish and camp every chance I get and it was high time to get some wheels that helped me get to new places and to get away from the masses of Subaru owners at the trail heads. Now I find myself already wanting to drive up 4x4 trails just to do it and wondering how much i can put into the FJ to extend that capability! :rofl:

This forum really helped me out when I was trying to figure out what to get and I couldn't be happier with the FJ! Now I find myself staring at it and thinking of all of the things I want to upgrade on it. Too bad I don't have a lot of extra scratch to throw into it right now. I'm planning on getting some sliders, armor, recovery gear etc.... and then trying to lift it and put some bigger tires on it but one thing at a time. I suffer from the MOD bug in everything i do so it's no surprise I'm here. :lol:

Anyway, thanks for all of the great info on this forum so far and I look forward to learning and contributing to all things FJ! :rocker:

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
Hey welcome Get Lost. I'm a Colorado native living in Idaho Springs (general area) let me know if you need any help with anything we have a great group out here in Colorado. Very active too!
Check out the 5th annual national summit that we're having in Ouray in July:

2011 FJ Cruiser Summit - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey welcome Get Lost. I'm a Colorado native living in Idaho Springs (general area) let me know if you need any help with anything we have a great group out here in Colorado. Very active too!
Check out the 5th annual national summit that we're having in Ouray in July:

2011 FJ Cruiser Summit - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Thanks Athena! Your offer is much appreciated. I'm checking out the details now on the Summit. Looks like there is a lot on info to go through. I'm really impressed with this forum so far. You guys are all awesome! :cheers:

·
Premium Member
2,160 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congratulation on your new truck. Let me know if you need any help with your mud.

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
welcome man. like athena said, there are a lot of people in the area that are willing to help out when and if you ever need it. look forward to seeing you out on the rocks.
Thanks Army! I don't really have any friends that wheel so I'm hoping to change that. I just put the Summit on the calendar. Waiting to see what my wife says. In the meantime I am patiently waiting for the snow to melt away. I tried to hit Rollins Pass on Saturday and got about 1000 yards up before hitting snow. I had to pick this year to buy an FJ... :jester:

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome to the forum and congratulation on your new truck. Let me know if you need any help with your mud.
Thanks boss. MY wife says I might already need a 12 step program. I told her I didn't think i could park the FJ that close to the front door. :lol:

·
Registered
936 Posts
:wave: Welcome to the forum from the other side of the hill, the summit is a great place to get to know your FJ and meet other people with similar interests. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
:wave: Welcome to the forum from the other side of the hill, the summit is a great place to get to know your FJ and meet other people with similar interests. :cheers:
Thanks DAGORED!

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Welcome! Be sure to check out the Colorado Subforum as well for trail runs and get togethers.
MM
I had not found that subforum yet. Thanks for the heads up! :cheers:

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Thanks boss. MY wife says I might already need a 12 step program. I told her I didn't think i could park the FJ that close to the front door. :lol:

The 12 step program is useless when trying to deny the Mod Bug. So far as I know there is no cure only a few steps that delay the inevitable. The Summit near as I can figure will exacerbate the problem and may require interventions as needed.

Only cancelling all internet, smart phone, credit cards, moving off the grid and having no further contact with anyone or any trial may work. Though clinical trials attempting this have not been completed.

I've been trying to slow down on the mod front with no luck. Got the FJ in Dec. Looked simply at a lift, ordered that in Jan and had the Colorado Garage Day in March. With help we did the install ourselves. There's a bunch more added on since. I can think of 3 big add ons as I type this, with that little voice in my head saying "just say no". Well, the kids will get scholarships, no pressure on them, I can use those funds....

Colorado Garage Club Schedule

Icon Stage II install guide Best install guide out there. ICON or not still works, unless you have compress the coil overs first.

Good luck and welcome to the Colorado group. There should be a group going out all summer just pick one. Great people who have done all the mods you're thinking about, so either search here or just ask, or better yet come on out and see it on the rig live.
:cheers:

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The 12 step program is useless when trying to deny the Mod Bug. So far as I know there is no cure only a few steps that delay the inevitable. The Summit near as I can figure will exacerbate the problem and may require interventions as needed.

Only cancelling all internet, smart phone, credit cards, moving off the grid and having no further contact with anyone or any trial may work. Though clinical trials attempting this have not been completed.

I've been trying to slow down on the mod front with no luck. Got the FJ in Dec. Looked simply at a lift, ordered that in Jan and had the Colorado Garage Day in March. With help we did the install ourselves. There's a bunch more added on since. I can think of 3 big add ons as I type this, with that little voice in my head saying "just say no". Well, the kids will get scholarships, no pressure on them, I can use those funds....

Colorado Garage Club Schedule

Icon Stage II install guide Best install guide out there. ICON or not still works, unless you have compress the coil overs first.

Good luck and welcome to the Colorado group. There should be a group going out all summer just pick one. Great people who have done all the mods you're thinking about, so either search here or just ask, or better yet come on out and see it on the rig live.
Sounds like I might as well just give in to the MOD bug. :lol:

Thanks for the links! I am looking forward to being able to do all of these upgrades myself. I enjoy the research as much as the purchase, learning how to install it and then getting use out of whatever I get into.

I'm a wood worker by hobby. Sounds like I am going to need to start buying some automotive tools. In the meantime I have quite the assortment of wood tools to share as well. I'm already looking forward to building a box in the back.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
I'm a wood worker by hobby. Sounds like I am going to need to start buying some automotive tools. In the meantime I have quite the assortment of wood tools to share as well. I'm already looking forward to building a box in the back.
It doesn't make sense to buy a lot of tools just to do the lift. There are a few of us that have plenty, Air tools, compressors, jacks, floor stands, torque wrenches, etc...

What would be helpful and I picked up one of these 6 months ago was a, crescent tools pack that's at costco ($100+/-) This should be a good start and you'll pick up things as you need them.

I'd love to have storage in the back and there are plenty of threads on building sliding storage units. That would be fun to build and install. (those voices again)

good luck

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Aloha from Cali!

Only cancelling all internet, smart phone, credit cards, moving off the grid and having no further contact with anyone or any trial may work.

This would work, the only problem is that you would more than likely want to mod the spit out of it to be able to properly live off the grid.:bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hahaha. Thanks again guys.

I definitely want to get some tools for basic repairs that I can take with me. I like tools so I'm sure I will eventually get some that are less than necessary but I'll have my hands full with buying lifts, tires, bumpers and armor I'm sure. I think I need a second income. :mecry:

·
fka Silverheels
128 Posts
Welcome from NoCo. Yes the Mod bug is the worst (best?) part of owning an FJ.... Well that and living in Colorado where the Rockies are constantly calling you to come explore. The conflict comes in needing the job to pay fopr the Mods, but wanting to blow off work to go to the mountains, I beleive it may be leading to a new psycosis. Hope to see you on the Trails soon.

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Welcome from NoCo. Yes the Mod bug is the worst (best?) part of owning an FJ.... Well that and living in Colorado where the Rockies are constantly calling you to come explore. The conflict comes in needing the job to pay fopr the Mods, but wanting to blow off work to go to the mountains, I beleive it may be leading to a new psycosis. Hope to see you on the Trails soon.
The worst part is that I sit behind a desk all day and have a view of the Flatirons from HWY36. It certainly does not help!

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Congrats on the your new ride and Welcome to the forums!
You have a ton of people in your area to help you out with mods and take you out on some trails.
Have fun.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts