Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased an 07' FJ 6M TRD exhaust with around 40k miles on it. The good part was it had been taken care of very well and the previous owner stayed up on 'most' of the maintenance. However, it looked like the oil and drive shaft lube was the only maintenance ever done.

So far the vehicle has been great, I love the sound of the exhaust. Although I was coming from a 4 cyl frontier so it's hard to compare.

I decided to switch out all of the fluids and swap the spark plugs out. So far I have everything done except the front and rear differential. The rear differential fill plug is not wanting to come out (on the verge of stripping the head) and I didn't have the right allen key or whatever that is for the front differential. Hope to finish those last two items out in the next few weeks.

My only question for those with the Manual Transmission. It states there is 1.9 qts, however I was only able to fill to around 1.7 qts until it started to flow out of the fill plug. I checked the level of the vehicle and everything was level. Maybe I didn't drain it all, however it had stopped draining before I put the drain plug back in. I just wanted to know if others had been able to add the full 1.9 qts?

The previous owner had been using Amsoil Syn motor oil so I just switched everything out with Amsoil Syn for all of the fluids. I drove the FJ for about 1000 miles before starting all of this and so far the vehicle is feeling smoother. The transmission was twitchy before I thought. My gas mileage has also improved.

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
I think you're good on the trans but you may want to check the level again now that you've driven it a bit. That's probably a good idea even if you get 1.9 qts in it.

Make sure you're using a good tight-fitting, 6-point socket on the diff drain bolt and you should be able to get it out.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I was planning on checking it in a few weeks after I put some miles down.

I have been looking for a 24 mm 6 pt socket but so far have not had any luck. Everyone has 12 pt. I figured Sears would carry them, nope all 12 pts. Will keep looking.

·
Registered
947 Posts
check autozone for the socket. Comes right off... with a breaker :D. I havent done the MT fluid change, but my front diff was jet black at 15K, rear still honey. Supposedly good for 30K and with minimal off-roading so oil+lube is about all thats needed to keep the car in good shape.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That did it, for some reason I didn't even think auto stores. I was thinking hardware/tools. At 40k the rear diff fluid was dark but not black. Will see how the front diff goes once I find the right size.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Yeah, I had to buy a single for the front too. Pretty sure its a 10mm allen... A little tight to get enough torque to unscrew them, but I just wrapped the allen key inside the eye of a box wrench.

·
Registered
792 Posts
On a '07 rear diff I highly recommend you change it every 20 to 25k---And if the filler bung is chewed up, get a new one asap--shouldn't cost that much

I'd bet that fluid looks like Texas Tea--Crude oil that is!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts