Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i took delivery from burien toyota....

so ive been lurking for a good month or two and like how impulsive i am and ll the ****ty weather in the PNW i jumped on a 2011 Iceberg FJ

it has conv offroad/ towing and preffered package... i didnt want the rack but got it in the deal

closed the deal at $29,395. my first new car and paid "invoice"... and im loving how bad it looks stock...

obligatory at the dealer pics...

i forgot to add this is my other ride/love

·
FJ Expeditions R Us
4,084 Posts
Congrats and welcome!

Let the mods begin!

cheers,

dale

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys i now i need a metal tech bumper some 285/70/17s and a ome lift and i should be a little but more trail ready... any local meets?

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
Congrats! Hello & Welcome ~

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
thanks guys i now i need a metal tech bumper some 285/70/17s and a ome lift and i should be a little but more trail ready... any local meets?
Welcome!
Meets are posted pretty randomly, usually only the "big, organized" ones get planned with any real lead time (more than a couple weeks at least).

Check out the NWFJCC forum, here are the details about registering.

On the books right now are the Decidion Beach Run in Florence, Oregon at the end of March and Naches, Washington in the summer. Both are extremely fun for all ages and skill levels. There should also be lots of people for those to shoot the breeze with about what mods you have done/want to do. They're some really knowledgeable folks around here.

...and isn't Metal Tech doing a group buy on the front bumper right now? You won't be able to beat that price if that's what you wanna do. Great company to deal with by the way.

Look forward to meeting you on the trails! :cheers:

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yup that wa my goal I'm already planning mods good thing my bday is coming up. I'm thinking of some allpro sliders, any suggestions?? Thanks guys I can already tell this a great group and signed up as NWFJCC!!

·
Registered
692 Posts
Ahoy! Yeppers; the NWFJCC is a good group.

The FJC is immensely capable stock. I don't know what your previous experience is wheeling, or if wheeling is really what you're after, but if you want to take it out prior to modding up, we can throw something small together.

IMO (not that you asked), it's a very good thing to develop good mechanical sympathy with your vehicle prior to making mods that make a material difference to the off-pavement behavior of the truck.

Anyway, welcome! :rocker:

-- Paul

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
Welcome to the Forum...you have come to the right place to find info for modding.

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
Yup that wa my goal I'm already planning mods good thing my bday is coming up. I'm thinking of some allpro sliders, any suggestions?? Thanks guys I can already tell this a great group and signed up as NWFJCC!!
The MT sliders would go well with the MT bumper. I would suggest sliders and maybe the breather mod as your first investment. For most of the runs we do around here you would be fine with a stock rig and those mods.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i was thinking the dunlops would get me stuck more so... will they be adequate? im thinking of getting some hankook mt's in 285 on the oem steelies... but its all in due time before summer...

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
i was thinking the dunlops would get me stuck more so... will they be adequate? im thinking of getting some hankook mt's in 285 on the oem steelies... but its all in due time before summer...
The first things I would add to any vehicle I wanted to take offroad would be rock rails/sliders and new, more aggressive tires.

Rock rail to protect the rocket panels from very expensive damage.
More aggressive tires so that you go through obstacles at slower speed with more control.
If you have a lot of rocks in the trails you will see, I'd go steel skids or a front bumper next.

Oh and Welcome to the forum quacktoduck!!!

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Congrats and welcome!

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks guys... i went offroading in my silverado in highschool growing up in hawaii but even so it really wasnt hardcore offroading jsut some trail runs, i would like to get into it more as the terrain is vast and the trails seems in abundance in washington state... its an ongoing process to get it trail ready but ill take it one step at a time...

thanks guys for the advice. ill be looking here for more advice for sure... you guys rock! no pun intended

·
Registered
692 Posts
From a slightly different perspective, you might consider getting unstuck among your early mod planning. In Aftermarket Accessories, Part II: Always Be Prepared to Get Unstuck, The Winch, Bill Burke writes:

A lot of people ask me about aftermarket accessories and what should be the first few items to make their rig unstoppable. I mention the things I wrote about in Part I [frame-mounted tow points, a recovery strap and a Hi-Lift jack] and a winch. I get the normally asked questions about "lockers," big tires, suspensions, big engines, etc. I would rather see a winch go on first than lockers et al. THE WINCH WILL ALWAYS GET YOU OUT, the other things will always get you stuck! If you don't have a way to get unstuck, then what good are all those fancy traction devices and all the power in the world? Stuck is stuck is stuck!
The other parts of Burke's series are:

Just a thought. ;)

-- Paul

1 - 20 of 30 Posts