Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been lurking here the past week or so, reading posts in most of the areas. Tommorow I should be picking up my 2011 FJ in Quicksand. It already has the OEM roof rack, sliders and tow hitch. Right after I pick it up I will have BFG All Terrain T/A's mounted; 285/70/17. I have ordered the Bilstein 5100s for the front, will order them for the rear when I can find them in stock somewhere. I've read here that the OME springs will improve the ride and handling on/off road and I'd like to order some for the front and rear.

I want to add at least 2" of ride height in front and have the rear at the same level. Can anyone comment on the best OME springs to allow the most lift with the 5100s, and which rear spring provides an improved but not harsh ride? I'm guessing if I go with the 884 spring in front I will need a spacer in the rear along with the springs to keep it level. I will occasionally have 200-300lbs of camping / stargazing gear loaded in the back with the rear seats folded.

You never know, but I don't plan to do any really aggressive off-roading, mainly rough desert roads, rocky hill climbing but probably no rock crawling. This will be my 5th Toyota, 3rd Toy 4x4, and I've never had a problem with any of them. I haven't done any off-roading for years and look forward to getting back in the desert.

Any comments/suggestions appreciated.

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You could look at Toytec's springs. I have them & they provide about 2" in the rear and still ride very similar to stock.
Thanks for the reply. Would 'similar to stock' include an improvement in ride or handling, or really not much difference in feel?

Is there a Toytec front spring you'd recommend to match or would the 5100s be fine on their own? From what I've read adding front/rear springs can improve the handling and reduce sway.

Are the Toytec springs much different than OME's?

·
Registered
428 Posts
If you are going to be doing rough desert roads, I would look into the Total Chaos 2" long travel kit, or at least go with good shocks (Icon, Fox, or King).

I had the OME lift on my rig. I ran the Rubicon Trail twice and the rig did great. I went down to Death Valley and was doing some desert running. Nothing extreme. National Park dirt roads with some small washboards. I was doing about 55-60 mph. My rig developed the inner fender cracks that day. If you go with the OME, just watch the speeds around the washboards.

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you are going to be doing rough desert roads, I would look into the Total Chaos 2" long travel kit, or at least go with good shocks (Icon, Fox, or King).

I had the OME lift on my rig. I ran the Rubicon Trail twice and the rig did great. I went down to Death Valley and was doing some desert running. Nothing extreme. National Park dirt roads with some small washboards. I was doing about 55-60 mph. My rig developed the inner fender cracks that day. If you go with the OME, just watch the speeds around the washboards.
mikerd400,

Thanks for the recommendations. I guess I should clarify, the rough roads I referred to would be negotiated at slower speeds. For now, I'm hoping to keep any suspension modifications under $1,000. Too many other home projects to pay for.

I'm hoping the Bilsteins and some springs will keep me satisfied for now, and if my adventures require something better I'll fork out the money later. I noticed on the FJ test drives the handling felt fairly sloppy and that's one of the reasons for adding some better springs.

By the way, once I install the BFG tires tomorrow I'll have a set of 99.9% like new stock tires for sale if someone in the Phoenix area needs them.

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
shane4x4,

With the Toytec lift/springs front and rear does your FJ sit level? How about with a load in the back? How's the handling compared to stock? After looking around some more for the past few hours it looks like I may go the route you took. Since I've already ordered the 5100's I could buy the Toytec Front Coil Over Kit (3" adjustment) along with the Toytec Superflex rear coils (2" lift) you recommended. My total cost for those parts and 4 Bilsteins would be under $1,000.

Adjustable Front Coil Over Kit for Bilstein Shocks - Toytec Lifts: Toyota Lift Kits: FJ Cruiser Lift Kits, Tacoma Lift Kits, Tundra Lift Kits, 4 Runner Lift Kits, Sequoia Lift Kits, Toyota Truck Lift Kits Toytec Front Coil Over

Would you have any side view pics of your FJ you can post?

mikerd400,

Since the rear Bilstein 5100's may be backordered for awhile, is this one of the shocks you'd recommend:

Poly Performance JEEP/TRUCK & BUGGY :: Suspension Kits & Parts :: Toyota Suspension Systems :: Toyota FJ Cruiser :: ICON Vehicle Dynamics :: ICON 07-Up FJ Cruiser ICON Mono-Tube Shock - 4X4 Off-Road, JK Synergy Suspension Systems, Fox Racing Shox, Be ICON Mono-Tube Shock

Thanks guys. More suggestions/ideas are still welcomed.

·
Registered
428 Posts
mikerd400,

Thanks for the recommendations. I guess I should clarify, the rough roads I referred to would be negotiated at slower speeds. For now, I'm hoping to keep any suspension modifications under $1,000. Too many other home projects to pay for.
Slower speed is the way to go on washboard roads, unless your suspension is meant for it. For going slower, the Bilsteins will be fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts