Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, just bought my first '07 FJ today!
It has had a handful of tasteful aftermarket parts installed already. (winch that can be swapped front to rear, Aussie overhead storage and CB rack, kevlar inserts, built to ferry up to four people on the exterior racks, snorkeled, and a very nice touchscreen head unit with upgraded speakers amongst a few other things I'm sure I forgetting. Nothing done to the performance, I was told it had a programmable CPU (Don't know much about that). Anyways, looking for advice on any other mods. Looking at anything to improve the rugged aesthetic or capabilities of it. Also interested in anything that could be done to take performance to the next level. Not afraid to do most any work to it. (Offroad and marine mechanic). Any ideas, advice, or tips are appreciated!

Attachments

·
Registered
563 Posts
Welcome and congrats. There are some bolt ons for the FJ like TRD Cold Airs and Catbacks. But they don't give you much. I would suggest lift and tires to start with. But do your research on here and plan your build.

FJ Lift Thread - 3 inches is the max you should go with the FJ.

Rust protection is also something that should be done before spending big money on a build. This will ensure years of fun and adventure.

Two of the dumbest but best things I wish I had done first was a set on Huskyliner floormats and the sun visors over the front doors. Simplest mods for enhancing your driving experience. Note the 07 didn't have the visors but you can order 2008s and pop them in.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Go out, get it dirty and you'll see what it needs.

Reactions: FJraja

·
Premium Member
17,119 Posts
Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Welcome from Vancouver, Canada!

·
Premium Member
4,709 Posts
Welcome from Oregon :)

I agree on the lift, 2-3" to help with ground clearance. For off the road I'd get tires with better sidewall protection. Sticks and stones will break your sidewalls.

I did the cat back and cai and Raptor tune. Not much difference for the way I drive trails. The change in auto trans shifting is good. Do I regret the changes, no. I should mention that I have the all fuels tune, regular gas, the guys running the high octane tune do see better performance. I want a snorkel at some point.

For night driving (off road) more lights.

Good luck,

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome and congrats. There are some bolt ons for the FJ like TRD Cold Airs and Catbacks. But they don't give you much. I would suggest lift and tires to start with. But do your research on here and plan your build.

FJ Lift Thread - 3 inches is the max you should go with the FJ.

Rust protection is also something that should be done before spending big money on a build. This will ensure years of fun and adventure.

Two of the dumbest but best things I wish I had done first was a set on Huskyliner floormats and the sun visors over the front doors. Simplest mods for enhancing your driving experience. Note the 07 didn't have the visors but you can order 2008s and pop them in.
Thanks for the suggestions, I will be looking into catbacks. I would love to get it lifted for sure. And funnily enough the previous owner did add the door visors to it! They are a great add on. I have some on my '84 F150, need to get some on my F250...
Definitely going to rustproof, I live in the deep south so that is a must regardless if it ever even sees much offroading lol
Welcome from Oregon :)

I agree on the lift, 2-3" to help with ground clearance. For off the road I'd get tires with better sidewall protection. Sticks and stones will break your sidewalls.

I did the cat back and cai and Raptor tune. Not much difference for the way I drive trails. The change in auto trans shifting is good. Do I regret the changes, no. I should mention that I have the all fuels tune, regular gas, the guys running the high octane tune do see better performance. I want a snorkel at some point.

For night driving (off road) more lights.

Good luck,
Thank you for the response, I offroad less than I'd care to admit to (surprisingly there are not many legal places to do it here) regardless I do want to get a lift on it as well as lights. I would be interested in hearing more about the all fuels tune you have set up, I didn't know that could be done on these. And I'm very glad to have the snorkel on it, I've been wanting a snorkeled vehicle for a while, deal with alot of flooding from bring on a river so it's nice to not feel as vulnerable now.

·
Premium Member
4,709 Posts
This is the long version of the thread. @bazross made edits in the first post, read the entire first post. I thought there was a condensed version but I cannot find it.

Better low/mid range torque. Works well with an after market or TRD cold air intake. Not so much with a catback exhaust. Doesn't hurt but doesn't do much. The trans shifting is changed a little, which is nice.

The tune comes with a Powergate personal ODB tuner. Will only work on your vehicle. Allows you to install the new tune and to change back to the OEM tune if you need to. There has not been any updates to the tune that I know of.

All fuels tune - 86-91 octane
Performance tune - 91+ octane

·
Registered
2010TT AT
1,471 Posts
Hi Holtzman08, welcome from Ohio!

·
Registered
10 Posts
[USER=450722]Holtzman08[/USER] said:
Definitely going to rustproof, I live in the deep south so that is a must regardless if it ever even sees much offroading lol
Hi Holtzman08
I bought my FJ from Newfoundland, Canada where snow is like your rain season :) The former owner used Fluid Film to protect the FJ from salt rusting. It's proven very effective. I found just little undercarriage rust but nothing major. He told me that he reapply the coat every year for the first few years, then depend on how much he drives, he re-coat every second year. I did re-coat the Fluid Film on mine. It's really thick fluid, like soft cheese, that will cling on the metal even with hot temperature, was at 100+F during last Summer.
If you decide the do the paint coat like POR-15, make sure you prep the surface free of rust or else the old rust will continue unnoticed that will make it worst.

Have fun with new FJ
Frances

1 - 11 of 11 Posts