Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, a loaded FJC is rumored to be around $26k. You can get a certified pre-owned '01 Lexus LX470 starting at about $29k with 45-50k miles on it.

What do y'all think about this comparison? I know it seems like apples and oranges, but not really....

·
Registered
132 Posts
The LX is nothing more than a Land Cruiser with a little 'L' on the hood. try and find a Toyota Land cruiser to compare, there is no real reason to pay so much more for a badge that honestly doesn't have the same recognition and BMW, Mercedes, and Even Jaguar yet.

I also find that CPO vehicles is just a huge scam. It is just an extended waranty in disguise, with the exception that they only offer the waranty on the best of the best, meaning the ones least likely to break and actually need any waranty work. ;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mpd8488 said:
The LX is nothing more than a Land Cruiser with a little 'L' on the hood. try and find a Toyota Land cruiser to compare, there is no real reason to pay so much more for a badge that honestly doesn't have the same recognition and BMW, Mercedes, and Even Jaguar yet.

I also find that CPO vehicles is just a huge scam. It is just an extended waranty in disguise, with the exception that they only offer the waranty on the best of the best, meaning the ones least likely to break and actually need any waranty work. ;)
The CPO Land Cruisers are really not any cheaper than the CPO LX470's...so you might as well get the Lexus. The same could really be said for them brand new, too, IMO.

·
Registered
132 Posts
There is a price difference of over ten thousand dollars new between the LX and Land cruiser, shouldn't the CPO and used vehicles alike reflect that?

They are both overpriced IMO. they are great trucks, but Toyota has let them sit stagnent for far too long to comand that sort of price, but people are buying them, so Toyota really does not care.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mpd8488 said:
There is a price difference of over ten thousand dollars new between the LX and Land cruiser, shouldn't the CPO and used vehicles alike reflect that?

They are both overpriced IMO. they are great trucks, but Toyota has let them sit stagnent for far too long to comand that sort of price, but people are buying them, so Toyota really does not care.
Cheapest CPO LC I can find is $23k. Cheapest CPO LX470 I can find is $29k. Loaded FJC rumored at $26k.

Discuss....

It's still an interesting decision...

·
Registered
132 Posts
Well, at this point it boils down to what you need in the vehicle.

The FJ is more modern, will get much better gas mileage, will be more maneuverable off road, has stand out styling, more utilitarian interior (this might be a minus for some people however)

The Land Cruiser/LX are much larger and will be able to tow and haul more, some people like a longer wheelbase for stability off road, they will make a better family vehicle, it has a Solid Front axle, and have a surprisingly smooth ride on road.

FJ cons: IFS, and I can't name any more that are of significance

LX/Land Cruiser Cons: among the worse gas mileage of any vehicles sold, they are a pretty old design, overpriced

·
Registered
378 Posts
zeppelin said:
So, a loaded FJC is rumored to be around $26k. You can get a certified pre-owned '01 Lexus LX470 starting at about $29k with 45-50k miles on it.

What do y'all think about this comparison? I know it seems like apples and oranges, but not really....

Just curious to why you picked this comparison . Are you debating between the two and nothing else. It's hard for me to compare a vehicle that I haven't even seen in real life, let alone driven yet. Have you tested the Lexus or are you going strickly off pre-specs????????

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
I think they could have changed the name of Lexus to Lux-mobile but it wouldn't have sold as well. I mean, take any Toyota, put a little gold L on it and coat the interior in leather and you have a Lexus.

I want an FJ, not a lux-mobile. So even if I can have a used lux-ed out leather-coated pimp-mobile for $29K, I will still be waiting for the FJ which will meet more of my needs.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Better option, LX450 with OEM lockers. Better offroad stock(than the 470), and leftover money for mods.

·
Official Field Agent
1,146 Posts
Ben said:
Better option, LX450 with OEM lockers. Better offroad stock(than the 470), and leftover money for mods.
Ding! We have a Winner!

Cheaper, too.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
bubbahotep said:
Just curious to why you picked this comparison . Are you debating between the two and nothing else. It's hard for me to compare a vehicle that I haven't even seen in real life, let alone driven yet. Have you tested the Lexus or are you going strickly off pre-specs????????
I'm just debating between the new vs. CPO as far as Toyota and Lexus SUVs go....

I still really want to see the interior of an FJC b/c I want a daily driver and I wonder if the interior may be a little too utilitarian for my liking....I currently drive an LT Tahoe, and I kinda like the leather and some of the nice gizmos....

My buddy just got a used LX450, and it kinda got me looking at some of the CPO LX and LC's....it's kinda tempting to be able to get a lightly-used $65k SUV for half the price and a warranty to boot....

I know it's an odd comparison in some ways, but it also makes sense if you're looking to spend around $30k on a capable, reliable Toyota product...both fall in that range...

I guess the biggest thing for me is going to be how comfortable this FJC is or if it's gonna be something that is better suited to be a weekend warrior....

·
Registered
378 Posts
zeppelin said:
My buddy just got a used LX450, and it kinda got me looking at some of the CPO LX and LC's....it's kinda tempting to be able to get a lightly-used $65k SUV for half the price and a warranty to boot....

I guess the biggest thing for me is going to be how comfortable this FJC is or if it's gonna be something that is better suited to be a weekend warrior....

If you can get your hands on a slightly used LX450 for half the price, GO FOR IT !! And let me know where you bought it !!

And I like the way you are waiting to test drive the Fj for comfort before you buy. Thats the only way to go ! I had an ex --grilfreind that I wish I would have test drove first.
"never judge a book by its cover...."

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Get the LX450, you wont be happy with the FJ will be too primitive for your liking. It like comparing a Mini to a Z4 Roadster both fun cars but two diffierent experences.

·
Official Field Agent
1,146 Posts
heck, get the FZJ80 and save a few bucks. mechanically identical to the LC, can be had with leather and such, but has a "T" instead of an "L" so it costs less. ive seen early '90 FJ/FZJ80s in the 8-10K range. compared with 25ish thats a LOT of money that could be spend on mods...

·
Registered
52 Posts
The later 80's or LX450's are pretty cheap nowadays too. I've seen some good ones with lockers for 12-15k. The early 80's weren't available with lockers and had a weak engine. I've been looking for one for the past year and the only reason I haven't got one yet is I've been holding off for more FJ Cruiser info incase I want that instead. I'm still leaning towards the 80.

·
Registered
181 Posts
This may or may not matter to you guys but the mpg for the 80's is terrible. I remember not getting more than 11mpg with my '91.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ToyBox said:
This may or may not matter to you guys but the mpg for the 80's is terrible. I remember not getting more than 11mpg with my '91.
definitely a valid point....i'm tempted to get something next with better mpg than my tahoe....i spent $300 on gas last month

·
Registered
83 Posts
zeppelin said:
definitely a valid point....i'm tempted to get something next with better mpg than my tahoe....i spent $300 on gas last month
Yeah, me too! My FJ80 gets 12-14 and our Subaru gets exactly double that. I'd be happy if the FJC averaged around 20mpg; I think that's reasonable these days.

Jason

·
Official Field Agent
1,146 Posts
ToyBox said:
i get somewhere in the region of 13 MPG with my '88 V6 4runner, so the 80 wouldnt be that bad, by comparison. 'course i only drive about 5 miles to work so i can almost afford to drive it... another reason i want a diesel.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i would be very surprised if the FJ doesn't get about 19-21mpg...

that would be comparable to the 4-runner or Xterra, i believe

1 - 20 of 20 Posts