Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Installing a new full Front Runnner rack tomorrow. Any suggestions on tie-down ring locations (have 6 rings). Bottom or top?, Middle of crossrails on top? Assume edges will provide adequate strap locations or distribute rings at underside perimeter?
Usage will be strapping down camping gear or building materials.

Interested in your experiences, Thanks.
Sorry if this is not the correct place to post this question.

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,335 Posts
I use standard eye nuts on 8mm x 12mm bolts. As to where you locate them it depends on what you want to strap down. That's the whole point of the channels you can put them where you like and move them to suit each load by just sliding them around. I will add a couple of bits of bar on the underside so I can slot my solar panel in there out of the way, not sure why you would want tie down rings underneath though.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not sure why you would want tie down rings underneath though.
Glad that you share my curiosity about this. The installation instructions recommend installing the tie-down rings to the underside before installing the rack onto the mounts. No obvious need for rings here came to mind, unless one needed to keep the exterior rail clear for accessories and tie-downs under the perimeter of the underside provided some advantage for using "Strachits" or rope restraints.

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,335 Posts
They'd be awkward to get at. If they need to be out of the way then run them to the edges. You do need to put the mounting bolts underneath prior to putting into place on the rails and they do a table storage rail that fits underneath.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts