Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
7,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just opened my new 4 wheel drive and sport utility magazine and saw a cool product called EZ Rack that looks like it holds gas cans on each side of the spare tire by the way of a strap and some brackets. Pretty cool design looks like is built for jeeps but I don't see why it wouldn't work for the FJ.

:cheers:

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Interesting.

·
Premium Member
9,345 Posts
The gas cans are Rotopax, which just happen to be available here:
http://www.trdparts4u.com/Scripts/prodList.asp?brand=ROTOPAX

Is that a current magazine? Their website does not list that product. I want to see what kind of price we could get them for.

Hmmm...don't like how they cover up the tail/brake lights. Maybe only mount one Rotopax on each side it would be okay. Oh and the fact that the FJ is wider might help too.

·
Premium Member
3,360 Posts
THAT is a big ass wheel! Circumference is almost 3/4 the heep!

·
Formerly FJ_Marine
6,237 Posts
The gas cans are Rotopax, which just happen to be available here:
http://www.trdparts4u.com/Scripts/prodList.asp?brand=ROTOPAX

Is that a current magazine? Their website does not list that product. I want to see what kind of price we could get them for.

Hmmm...don't like how they cover up the tail/brake lights. Maybe only mount one Rotopax on each side it would be okay. Oh and the fact that the FJ is wider might help too.
Poly Performance JEEP/TRUCK & BUGGY :: Fuel Accessories :: RotopaX :: RotopaX Pack Tire Mounts - 4X4 Off-Road Parts, JK Synergy Suspension Systems, Fox Racing Shox, Beard, CNC Brakes, Johnny Joints®, Currie Enterprises, Edelbrock, Pit Bull Tires, Ram

·
Premium Member
9,345 Posts

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
That would be a lot of weight on the stock spare bracket, hanging on the sheet metal of the rear door of the FJC!
X2 on that. I recently put the stock spare tire holder back on the FJ. I forgot how much weight the spare alone adds to the rear door. I would certainly not be adding any other additional weight to that door.

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
I don`t think it would be a problem for the occasional trip. I have a spare tire bike rack I hang on a 285/70/17 tire and hang 2 mountain bikes on it and have never had a problem. You can`t worry about every little thing on your truck or your never going to have any fun with it. If you like the idea of these cans just do it.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
So it is just held around the tire by the ratchet strap? Seems like that would be a pain to get on and off the tire just right, also easy to steal..

It says it can hold a shovel, don't see how..

·
Premium Member
16,932 Posts
Great idea, but I would worry about the extra weight on the back door.

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
So it is just held around the tire by the ratchet strap? Seems like that would be a pain to get on and off the tire just right, also easy to steal..

It says it can hold a shovel, don't see how..
Actually the straps are real easy to center and your only going to be useing them when your on a trail so chances of getting them stolen is next to zero IMO.

·
Premium Member
2,753 Posts
Thanx Dave! I had just found that using the properties from the picture link. I guess Rock Slide Engineering sold the line to Poly.
Rock Slide Engineering is about 10 min from my house. I would be leery of buying anything from them.

They had some cool products they were working on, I just heard about some funny business and promptly ended my dealings with them.

Rotopax is as far as I know a separate company but they are located here in the valley as well???

·
Premium Member
2,100 Posts
Just for those interested, All Pro is midway in making a new swing out system, that will remove the Tire from the door and have the same gas cans mounted on the right side, still trying to decide if it will be split with swing outs to each side, I saw it the other day, it should be available in August. It is more of an expedition type swing out/bumper with lights and all. Pretty cool looking. The door and the swing out will work as one. Also a new front bumper in the process for expedition type runs, driving light holes, compartments for gloves, winch contoller. Some exciting stuff coming.

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
I like the simplicity, seems like a cheap easy way to bring along extra fuel. Weight on the rear door and hinges would be minimal if your only doing this a few times a year.

I have thought of fabbing up some brackets for my Thule bike rack to carry two 5gl. jerry cans...this would keep the weight on the bumper. Plus the Thule has a lock pin setup that allows you to fold it down or lower it down to the ground and out of the way to open the rear door. Anybody ever think of this? I bet if someone refined this idea It might sell like hot cakes.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts