Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, all -

I apologize for a partial repeat of the setup inquiry I posted the other day... I didn't get any responses, and in retrospect I think I asked TOO many questions in one post!

So I'm going to pare it down a bit and try again, because I have found the knowledge here to be very valuable and I would greatly appreciate any insights you may be willing to share!

So I'm getting my FJ most likely in August. As I anxiously anticipate it, I am planning out the sound system I want to install. Nothing that's going to shake the ground, but music is a HUGE part of my happiness and I want a setup with enough clarity and power to be a good all-around system at medium to moderately loud levels.

(For background, my listening tastes range from sort of folk/rock (Lucinda Williams, Damien Rice, Mary-Chapin Carpenter) to 80s to rock (U2, Airborne Toxic Event, Good Charlotte, and my current favorite song to crank is "Grounds for Divorce" by Elbow.) So I'd like competence for that range of listening. I'll probably be combining this with an Alpine W505 HU and a high quality set of components in the front doors. (Plus the appropriate amp/amps)

The first thing I need to sort out is what type of sub would be best for what I'm trying to accomplish here. I'd like to keep it as unobtrusive and clean as possible, and those Wicked CAS boxes have caught my eye. Maybe the two 10"w1v1 box? OR would just one 10" be enough for what I want - not boomy, or thumping, just punchy and clean, rounding out the sound.

Thank you so much for any advice. I've read everything I could find on subs but still couldn't definitively understand the pros/cons between just one sub or two...

Cheers,
Christina

·
Registered
534 Posts
Pioneer P6800DVD, JL 450/4 Amp, JL 500/1, JL Prowedge, Fosgate 3Sixty.2, Morel Elate 9speakers

This is our stereo set up.

(I am not the geeky technophile....my other half is, so I don't know all the geek answers)......but I can tell you this set up is crazy ass sweet!

We also purchased the Wicked CAS after having the subwoofers in boxes that took up a large portion of the back of the FJ.

It is nice to have them out of the way and not worry about disconnecting them to haul stuff, etc.

Although, I can tell you if the hunny had it to do all over again, he says he would do one amp and one sub woofer on each side.

(He set ours up with two amps one side and two subs in the Wicked CAS on the other side.) But the other set up aslo means more dinero for TWO Wicked boxes!

There are two things that make the sound quality not as good right now, (since we installed the Wicked CAS.)

1. He hasn't installed the sound deadener <------(sp?) he purchased yet.
2. There seems to be an issue with the 3SIXTY.2 and the reset since the install.

There are lots people here with more technical knowledge than me and lots of info here that can be accessed via the search function.

But I do give a big thumbs up on the Wicked CAS!

·
Registered
534 Posts
oh.....and the whole set up is bluetooth enabled (although I HATE both cell phones and talking into a speaker).....it is convenient.

·
Registered
177 Posts
My advice for what its worth, is to go to a really good car stereo installation place. Have them go over what you want from your system, and what you want to spend. One 12" might be better than 2 10" woofers. Also don't skimp on the components you buy, with the music you like, they will make all the difference in the sound.

Saying that, if you want to go after-market on the stereo, don't get the sub-woofer package, when you buy your FJ.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
For your music go with a 12" speaker or a 10" of decent quality. There are many on here that know of specific companies that are great. A good 10" would be more then enough for your tastes since your music will mainly emphasize the kick drum and bass lines (rock songs). I would say go to a shop and get a box made for the shelf or floor.

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
I'd love to provide input however lacking the stock stereo is, it thumps enough to fit my needs.
I agree. As far as stock systems go, The FJammer setup is the best I've ever had. Personally, I can't imagine going any louder than stock - as I have yet to max the volume and wouldn't want to hear how bad the sub thump is -outside- the vehicle as it is. :lol:

Good luck on your quest for the perfect tuneblaster tho.

Howls,
FJ Wolf

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have the a single 10" sub box from FJ Cruiser Audio and love it. It's similar to the ones from Wicked CAS, but looks a little more streamlined and integrated in my opinion.

Here's the 10" single from FJ Cruiser Audio:

and here's a 12" single from Wicked CAS for comparison:

If you have the money for one of these, I highly recommend either the FJ Cruiser Audio box or the one from Wicked CAS. Both are a better fit for the FJ than a big rectangular box hogging up half of your cargo area. Some guys have made custom rectangular boxes for the FJ that I'm sure sound fantastic, but I couldn't give up that much cargo space in my truck.

If you decide to have a local shop install your system, you can buy a FJ box from one of the above-mentioned vendors and then have the local shop do the installation.

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
My advice for what its worth, is to go to a really good car stereo installation place. Have them go over what you want from your system, and what you want to spend. One 12" might be better than 2 10" woofers. Also don't skimp on the components you buy, with the music you like, they will make all the difference in the sound.

Saying that, if you want to go after-market on the stereo, don't get the sub-woofer package, when you buy your FJ.
for her music tastes, the cone area of the two 10"s versus the one 12" will blow the doors off the one 12" setup. that is in both volume and overall SQ. she will have more even response due to having more upper bass from more cone area.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I hooked up everything JL Audio. Pioneer AVIC-D3 head unit. 3 and a half for the dash. 6.5 Components in the doors. Hooked up to a 4 Channel amp in a custom amp rack. One JL Audio stealth box with a 12 inch sub. A 2 channel amp to power that. And one capacitors. The cap and the amp for the sub is hidden behing the rear panels in the back. Here is a pic of the 4 channel.

Attachments

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks so much everyone for your recommendations. I actually took advantage of Nazar's special yesterday and ordered the Wicked CAS box with 2 10" JBLs and TMA amp bundled in. (I don't know anything about that amp, but the price was good enough that I decided to give it a try as that was the enclosure/sub combo I'd had my eye on.)

So my next question is... what to do for front components? I don't mind going a little extravagant, because I'm only going to run front components, no other speakers. (Something exceptional that could be found, with a little scouting, for $500 or less would fit the budget) The Kappas are a little bright for me, I really like the DynAudios I've heard (I think they're a 7-inch, though... would that work in the stock front door location?), also interested in other recommendations. What about Focals? I've heard one set (I THINK they were the Polyglass line, but not sure) that I liked. What else should I check out?

I do plan to run a dedicated amp to these speakers, and will be interested in recommendations on those once I figure out which components to go with.

Again, thank you so much for all the great information!

Christina

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
Thanks so much everyone for your recommendations. I actually took advantage of Nazar's special yesterday and ordered the Wicked CAS box with 2 10" JBLs and TMA amp bundled in. (I don't know anything about that amp, but the price was good enough that I decided to give it a try as that was the enclosure/sub combo I'd had my eye on.)

So my next question is... what to do for front components? I don't mind going a little extravagant, because I'm only going to run front components, no other speakers. (Something exceptional that could be found, with a little scouting, for $500 or less would fit the budget) The Kappas are a little bright for me, I really like the DynAudios I've heard (I think they're a 7-inch, though... would that work in the stock front door location?), also interested in other recommendations. What about Focals? I've heard one set (I THINK they were the Polyglass line, but not sure) that I liked. What else should I check out?

I do plan to run a dedicated amp to these speakers, and will be interested in recommendations on those once I figure out which components to go with.

Again, thank you so much for all the great information!

Christina
dynaudio makes a great speaker. is that the 240 series you are looking at? i am really pleased with zapco's components. i am currently running the comps, which play a little lower and sound more natural. the only reason i went with them is because the reference mids wouldnt hang with the abuse i threw them, which is a little more punishment than the average person would put them through. anywho, the reference blue cones sound phenomenol. i think they can be had for roughly $500 a set. get some good power behind them. i would suggest a zapco reference 350.2 or a 750.2. if you go with the reference, i would strongly recommend using an EQ. the zapco SP4 is a great unit. i have one currently in the boat, the SP7 in the FJ. both are great. if you dont want to have to use an EQ, go with the reference DC line of amplifiers. dont let the msrp prices scare you on the site. talk to an authorized dealer in your area.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the info, Briman... yes, it's the Esotec 242 I'm looking at from Dynaudio. But they're 7" - would that present any problems mounting in the stock location in the front doors? (Everything else i've been looking at is 6.5") I will also check out the Zapco reference blues... I've read that they are great and very similar to the comps in characteristics, as you mention.

As for the amps, I really would like to keep this install as clean/simple as possible and thus prefer to avoid putting in an EQ, so the DC Reference is of interest to me. Only question is: would that fit under the seat? What would be the largest dimensions I could reasonably fit under the driver's seat? (I almost never have backseat passengers, but I wouldn't want the amp to be very visible or sticking out too much. I'm also not wanting to add any boxes or fabricate anything for the amps....)

·
Registered
177 Posts
Thanks for the info, Briman... yes, it's the Esotec 242 I'm looking at from Dynaudio. But they're 7" - would that present any problems mounting in the stock location in the front doors? (Everything else i've been looking at is 6.5")

I have Morel Elate 9" in my doors, so the speaker size shouldn't matter too much. You will have to ask Briman if any metal cutting, or grinding needs to be done to fit them.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Cool, I think I'm closing in on the stereo setup plan, here. Thanks to all of you for your help!

So assuming I go with the Zapco Reference blues, or similar... what's the best amp to drive those two components in the front doors, but that will fit under the seat? (And will not require an EQ, as I really want to keep this as clean and simple as possible.)

As always, I really appreciate all the insights... I wouldn't know where to start without the collective wisdom of this board!

Cheers,

Christina

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.