Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

81 - 95 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
It was a awesome run and my wife is starting to dig into the history of the area so we can provide a little info for next year. Mine names and stories of the mines etc.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
It was a awesome run and my wife is starting to dig into the history of the area so we can provide a little info for next year. Mine names and stories of the mines etc.

Please post that history here. I enjoyed seeing that old wood burning cook stove at Treasure Mountain. I could just about hear and see the cook flipping flapjacks by the hundreds and the hungry miners chattering about the day ahead.
ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1405950926.332330.jpg

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
I must say that 3rd vehicle in line, that cement, looks BEAUTIFUL!:grin

Thanks for all the compliments. I really enjoy showing off the San Juans. You guys also need to thank Jonathan Harris. I was not even planning on coming to FJS8 but they added the gulches and recruited me to set it up. Glad y'all enjoyed yesterday and our group was a pleasure to show around. After registration I'm going to go back up and rerun/mark the Red Mountain area if anyone wants to tag along.

Jess, I'd be willing to lead trails at A4F but I thought you had to be a member of Mile-High.

Ace
View attachment 257354

·
Registered
448 Posts
Lost Camera on Gulches Run....

Bev and I really enjoyed the Gulches led by Danny on Friday morning.

Unfortunately, I must have left my camera at the riverside waterfall just before you come to Silverton. It has all my "Moab before the Summit" and "Summit 8" photos == I've posted with the Silverton Visitor Center and the Sheriff's department. It's a Canon PowerShot SX260 HS (see picture); if anyone on the Gulches Run later Friday or Saturday came across it, please let me know. I drove back twice to make sure I did not miss it.

Thanks -- also starting a new post on the Summit thread.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Ace: First I want to say you are nothing but GREAT! Your trail leader skills, people skills, and just plain approachability makes you a TRUE treasure at the Summit! The gulches was a pure pleasure for my wife and I on Tuesday's prerun and also when I led it on Friday I felt confident because of your help even with the Treasure mountain change, the run was just fantastic and gorgeous and my whole group just raved about it! If it is not offered next year then James and I will have a serious talk! Thank you for EVERYTHING and I hope I can run with you many more times.

I believe adding The Gulches was a great option. Everybody that ran it was very enthusiastic. One person did not like all the stops but it was advertised that way. Most were thrilled to explore the Sound Democrat mill and the buildings at Treasure Mountain Mining Co and other stops.
View attachment 260306 View attachment 260314 View attachment 260322 View attachment 260330 View attachment 260338 View attachment 260346

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Many folks that ran the Gulches skipped the Red Mountain Mine Area wanting to be back early. Here is a taste of what you missed.
ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1406087094.830194.jpg ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1406087141.878524.jpg ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1406087238.505928.jpg ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1406087291.975023.jpg ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1406087432.480927.jpg

Reactions: FJ Moose

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Ace:

If anyone goes with me they would not miss them as I make sure we go as i think it is a nice high light to the trip and the best way to end it right out on the road to Ouray. You are right that this is a smal taste. The views are phenomenal, especially if the sun is out. It is a MUST SEE part of the trip I think.

Many folks that ran the Gulches skipped the Red Mountain Mine Area wanting to be back early. Here is a taste of what you missed.
View attachment 263057 View attachment 263065 View attachment 263097 View attachment 263113 View attachment 263137

·
Premium Member
1,183 Posts
Hey Ace, I decided to run the Red Mountain Rd. today down to Silverton and while exploring I found the Corkscrew Turntable. I think you had asked me about that before or maybe it was someone else. It is really close to Yankee Girl Mine but you have to hike in .8 mile to get to it. From the turn table you can see Cork Screw but I think it would be pretty hard to see the turn table from Corkscrew because of the tress. There is also a very steep gulch between Corkscrew and the turn table so there is no way to access it from there.

If you want to check it out next week turn on to Guston Rd from CR31 and follow it to the dead end. There is a trail head there for the turn table and Yankee Girl Mine.

P.S. I also went up to the summit of Kendall Mt. this afternoon. Really nice view of Silverton below. That is not a well known trail but very nice.

P.P.S. Saw them setting up for All For Fun and an endless stream of jeeps coming across Red Mountain Pass.

·
Registered
608 Posts
We ran the Gulches during the Summit and really enjoyed it. Lots to see and we had time to enjoy the scenery. Many thanks to our trail boss Jonathan who made sure that everyone enjoyed themselves.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
^^ Dan, it was me asking about the TT. I looked a few year back but no luck. I'll check it out on the way home Saturday. Your mention of Corkscrew doesn't fit. The TT is on the north side of the pass while CS is on the south side. Also Yankee Girl you can drive right to.

Kendall Mtn is a trail here at A4F. Did a night run up there a few years ago.

·
Premium Member
1,183 Posts
^^ Dan, it was me asking about the TT. I looked a few year back but no luck. I'll check it out on the way home Saturday. Your mention of Corkscrew doesn't fit. The TT is on the north side of the pass while CS is on the south side. Also Yankee Girl you can drive right to.

Kendall Mtn is a trail here at A4F. Did a night run up there a few years ago.
The sign at the trail head says Corkscrew Gulch Table so I was just going by that. There is a plaque at the table with more detail. I have been too busy to upload most of my photos but here is a selfie I took by the trail head sign.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
1,183 Posts
Here is a link to some pictures of the Turntable.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/rdplemons/sets/72157646117822871/

And perhaps some better directions for those that might be interested in visiting.

If heading south on 550 you would take a left turn on to CR 31. This is off of a switch back just south of Ironton Park and is easy to miss. I think it is really close to the overlook on the right side.

Follow CR 31 as best you can until you see a street sign for Guston Rd. It will be a left turn only. Follow it to the end and you are at the trail head in the first picture. If you get to the narrow two story building for Yankee Girl Mine you have gone too far. it is very close to there.

The two pictures at the end are of Corkscrew Gulch from the turntable site. In one you can see a red jeep going up.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Re: Lost Camera on Gulches Run....

Bev and I really enjoyed the Gulches led by Danny on Friday morning.

Unfortunately, I must have left my camera at the riverside waterfall just before you come to Silverton. It has all my "Moab before the Summit" and "Summit 8" photos == I've posted with the Silverton Visitor Center and the Sheriff's department. It's a Canon PowerShot SX260 HS (see picture); if anyone on the Gulches Run later Friday or Saturday came across it, please let me know. I drove back twice to make sure I did not miss it.

Thanks -- also starting a new post on the Summit thread.

Unbelievable! A fellow Texan on a family vacation found my camera, located my address via license plate pictures, and sent my camera home with a kind note. Wow! Truly blessed to have my Moab and Summit pictures on my PC!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

81 - 95 of 95 Posts