Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed a new ham radio in the FJ these last couple weeks. I wanted it to be easily readable and yet be able to get it out of sight when not being used. The rig is the Yaesu FT-7900R/E dual band transceiver it has a detachable face for remote mounting. I mounted the face in the storage compartment in the top of the dash in front of the driver. The radio unit is mounted under the rear seat by the suicide door on the drivers side. It's pretty well hidden yet very accessible for any work or info downloading I need to do. I only have a few pics of the already installed system but for some reason I cant download the pics. WTF!

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Nice. Does the control head block your view any?

I like that you can access the main unit easily to connect for programming via computer. It's so much easier that way.

How did you mount the antenna and route the coax?

KE5WRH

·
Premium Member
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The unit doesn't block the view at all, I am 6'1" tall, but its still well out of my viewing area. The cover isn't fully open so that helps. I built an antenna mount and its opposite the Bandi mount on the rear door. I removed my rear wiper because I keep the rear window cracked all the time so I saw no need for it. The reason I say that is because that's where the mount bolts to on the rear door, the other side is attached at the spare tire mount.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Man after seeing jimmy buffetts HAM setup in person a few weeks back I've really got the itch. Great setup man and I'm digging that antenna mount.
Thanks, I didn't want a hole in my roof and I needed to keep it somewhat low since wheeling in the east has a lot of vegetation and trees. That's a Comet 55" dual band that I'm going to use on the road and I also got one that's 38" for the trails.

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,262 Posts
Neat mounting of the base unit. Just watch for dirt and dust collecting there. I checked with Yaesu that it was OK and now leave the programming cable plugged in as mine is 'buried' in the rear jack compartment.

·
Premium Member
4,704 Posts
Man after seeing jimmy buffetts HAM setup in person a few weeks back I've really got the itch. Great setup man and I'm digging that antenna mount.
Interesting antenna mount, I've never seen that before (looks custom?).

My antenna is on the roof rack, quarter-wave so it's short. The radio is a Yaesu FTM 400 on a panavise mount along the right side of the center stack, main radio unit is mounted under the driver seat:

·
Registered
230 Posts
I went a slightly different route to keep the antenna low. I replaced the factory AM/FM antenna with a custom bracket and then ran a Diamond NR770HB antenna off it.

I had the bracket 3d printed after several cardboard mock-ups:
IMG_0123.JPG
IMG_0124.JPG

Here you can see the fitment:
IMG_0122.JPG
IMG_0140.JPG

Lastly I had the bracket fabricated out of stainless [strike](I have 2 extras if anyone is interested)[/strike]:
IMG_0516.JPG

And this is where my radio got mounted:
IMG_0139.JPG

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
I first mounted my antenna on the rear door ladder. Others on 2 meter said that there was a lot of weird sound, like an echo or reverb. I think it was reflecting off of the door. I moved it to the roof rack with a motorized mount to fold it down when I needed the clearance.

I'm interested to hear if you have any of these issues.

·
Premium Member
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I first mounted my antenna on the rear door ladder. Others on 2 meter said that there was a lot of weird sound, like an echo or reverb. I think it was reflecting off of the door. I moved it to the roof rack with a motorized mount to fold it down when I needed the clearance.

I'm interested to hear if you have any of these issues.
I haven't transmitted with it yet but I will get others to give me some info of how it sounds. I appreciate the heads up, I hope you're wrong though. Also could you give some info on the motorized mount you have.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
It may have been a problem unique to my setup. I haven't heard of any problems with Bandi mounts and cb antennas. But moving the antenna should provide a better ground plane.

Here's the antenna mount that I have. Diamond® Antenna ~ K9000TM Motorized Mount

I ran the wires through the roof where all of the light wires run. There is a push button switch to run the antenna up and down. I really like it.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
If you are going to have a questionable ground plane like a Bandi/Boztec mount or on a bumper or roof rack, it is a good idea to get a half wave antenna as they are not sensitive to ground plane.

·
Premium Member
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It may have been a problem unique to my setup. I haven't heard of any problems with Bandi mounts and cb antennas. But moving the antenna should provide a better ground plane.

Here's the antenna mount that I have. Diamond® Antenna ~ K9000TM Motorized Mount

I ran the wires through the roof where all of the light wires run. There is a push button switch to run the antenna up and down. I really like it.[/QUOTE

I like that mount. It's a good option if I have any problems. Thanks for the link RH.:rocker:

·
Premium Member
7,439 Posts
Nice! I've been researching HAM a little more in the past few weeks. I was in a situation in Moab where I (of course) didn't have cell reception and having a long-range means of communication could have been very helpful!

I happen to have one of these brackets I've been saving for the antenna mount when I decide to pull the trigger. Hopefully I won't have any grounding problems.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,439 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Looks like it should work. My mount is grounded through the spare tire mount so you should be fine. You might have to enlarge the hole for the antennae wire connection.
That mount looks nice but they're not talking about grounding per se, they're talking Ground Plane which is a grounded flat surface that acts as a reflector (like the earth). Some antennas rely on this for proper signal propagation, it is technically part of the antenna.

A "perfect" way to mount an antenna on a vehicle for the best ground plane is through mounted in the center of the roof, though this is uncommon for obvious reasons.

As Serenity Now said above a half-wave antenna is a good way to go in cases that don't have a good ground plane e.g bumper, roof rack, bracket mounts.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I went a slightly different route to keep the antenna low. I replaced the factory AM/FM antenna with a custom bracket and then ran a Diamond NR770HB antenna off it.

I had the bracket 3d printed after several cardboard mock-ups:
View attachment 918626
View attachment 918634

Here you can see the fitment:
View attachment 918642
View attachment 918674

Lastly I had the bracket fabricated out of stainless [strike](I have 2 extras if anyone is interested)[/strike]:
View attachment 918650

And this is where my radio got mounted:
View attachment 918658
Do you still have one you the antenna brackets?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts