Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I want a new headunit. I want one that is made that fits perfectly in the oem hole. I don’t want to have to use those cheap looking adapters/spacers on the sides of a head unit. Can anyone point me in the right direction for the cleanest looking one

·
Registered
102 Posts
Look up either of these two. Very thorough with lots of pics. I am looking to do the same. Probably a late Fall or Winter project.
Sorry. New and on my phone. Not sure how to link directly to the thread with phone.

Android Stereo Upgrade
962 posts
Jun 05, 2019

Newbie stereo carplay/camera/mic questions
9 posts
about 21 hours ago

Good luck.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
Hello everyone. I want a new headunit. I want one that is made that fits perfectly in the oem hole. I don’t want to have to use those cheap looking adapters/spacers on the sides of a head unit. Can anyone point me in the right direction for the cleanest looking one
Only problem with that is you have to buy a cheap Chinese headunit , so your choice is a cheaply make headunit without a dash kit or a high quality headunit like Alpine , Sony orPioneer with a dash kit , I know what I’d choice

·
Registered
258 Posts
My suggestion is to focus on purchasing a quality head unit. I understand your concern relating to a "Cheep Looking" adapter but there are many adapter kits on the market that will look OEM.

·
Registered
97 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just installed the ATOTO A6 unit and it looks and works great. It fits perfectly in the dash. The Toyota specific models come with a pre-made wire harness that plugs into the truck and the head unit without having to solder any wires together. The built-in mic on the front of the unit works good, though it does come with an external mic if you want to install it. I highly recommend this unit.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I just installed the ATOTO A6 unit and it looks and works great. It fits perfectly in the dash. The Toyota specific models come with a pre-made wire harness that plugs into the truck and the head unit without having to solder any wires together. The built-in mic on the front of the unit works good, though it does come with an external mic if you want to install it. I highly recommend this unit.
So I just installed this yesterday as well in a 2007 replacing the FJammer. I can't get my steering wheel controls to work. Instructions aren't great, so I'm not sure exactly how to hook them up. Eventually just got frustrated trying to find out how and just finished putting things back together.

I'm going to open it back up in the next few days to fix that and install the WiFi and GPS as well. Any advice on where/how you placed those?

For $233 I'm not mad about it. Looks great fits great and seems to work just fine. Super quick start up as well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
So I just installed this yesterday as well in a 2007 replacing the FJammer. I can't get my steering wheel controls to work. Instructions aren't great, so I'm not sure exactly how to hook them up. Eventually just got frustrated trying to find out how and just finished putting things back together.

I'm going to open it back up in the next few days to fix that and install the WiFi and GPS as well. Any advice on where/how you placed those?

For $233 I'm not mad about it. Looks great fits great and seems to work just fine. Super quick start up as well.
I have not gotten my steering wheel connected correctly yet. I will be working on it tonight. I found a guy that figured it out, link below.

https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/stereo-electronics-electrical/426154-android-stereo-upgrade-94.html#post9192880

This ATOTO unit starts up faster than the FJammer!

·
Registered
11 Posts
There is a thread here about Android head unit install where a member shows how he fit the gps antenna inside the gauge pod.
I installed my GPS antenna under the dash in between the compass cluster and the window. Just stick it on the underside of the dash.

I did the same thing with the WiFi antenna, stuck it on the underside of the dash in the space between the compass cluster and the face of the dash.

Both seem to have good reception.

·
Registered
144 Posts
My suggestion is to focus on purchasing a quality head unit. I understand your concern relating to a "Cheep Looking" adapter but there are many adapter kits on the market that will look OEM.
I agree, you don't even notice the adapter trim on mine, your eyes are drawn to the crisp beautiful interface. Not knocking any alternatives, but I personally don't think the trim pieces will be that big of a deal once you have it all installed..

edit: that ATOTO A6 Pro does look really cool though!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Perfect, thats exactly where I had planned on putting them. Just wasn't sure about reception.

I read through the thread but still not entirely sure what I'm doing. Let me know if you get it working tonight. Take some pictures if you can!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I agree, you don't even notice the adapter trim on mine, your eyes are drawn to the crisp beautiful interface. Not knocking any alternatives, but I personally don't think the trim pieces will be that big of a deal once you have it all installed..

edit: that ATOTO A6 Pro does look really cool though!
Yeah well I am very turned off by the hockey puck adapter available for the FJ the PO installed, my eyes are drawn to those ill fitting hunks of plastic every time I look at the head unit. Maybe if you only drive at night you can ignore it. I was looking to get a Kenwood DDX919WS that fills the space as it should but it was pricey and DVDs wouldn't work as it's made for AUS market. I even emailed Kenwood to see if they plan on releasing for US.

I recently caved in and bought a new Pioneer HU for now, should look better as I upgraded the 7 year old unit but that adapter is still going to bug me.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
There’s no chance Kenwood will offer that AUS unit here in the states , IDK why people are so hung up on the trim pieces unless they have severe OCD lol , all the USA units you need a dash kit , your only other choice is a POS China unit like Joying that will not hold up , Alpine is always the best choice

·
Registered
144 Posts
Yeah well I am very turned off by the hockey puck adapter available for the FJ the PO installed, my eyes are drawn to those ill fitting hunks of plastic every time I look at the head unit. Maybe if you only drive at night you can ignore it. I was looking to get a Kenwood DDX919WS that fills the space as it should but it was pricey and DVDs wouldn't work as it's made for AUS market. I even emailed Kenwood to see if they plan on releasing for US.

I recently caved in and bought a new Pioneer HU for now, should look better as I upgraded the 7 year old unit but that adapter is still going to bug me.
I get it. It would be cool if there were more options for sure. That Kenwood Unit is gorgeous!

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
There is no doubt the Joying headunits are not as well built as the Alpine product. There is also no comparison to the amount of software and services the Chinese units can provide at half the price.

In 6 years the Alpine will be intensely dated (think iPhone 5s right now-old), but will still sound awesome... and I will be on my second Chinese headunit with 8x the storage, processing and screen resolution and no more regrets than updating my iPhone.

Pick your poison.

·
Registered
43 Posts
There’s no chance Kenwood will offer that AUS unit here in the states , IDK why people are so hung up on the trim pieces unless they have severe OCD lol , all the USA units you need a dash kit , your only other choice is a POS China unit like Joying that will not hold up , Alpine is always the best choice
I must have OCD then lol, I almost throw up a little every time I look at it - tilt would help though. https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/stereo-electronics-electrical/736614-searching-best-fit-aftermarket-flagship-receiver-need-tilt.html Guess I am spoiled with dash kits from other cars looking actually close to stock.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts