Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

New Head Unit

11K views 33 replies 17 participants last post by  Camclark 
#1 ·
Hello everyone. I want a new headunit. I want one that is made that fits perfectly in the oem hole. I don’t want to have to use those cheap looking adapters/spacers on the sides of a head unit. Can anyone point me in the right direction for the cleanest looking one

#3 ·
Look up either of these two. Very thorough with lots of pics. I am looking to do the same. Probably a late Fall or Winter project.
Sorry. New and on my phone. Not sure how to link directly to the thread with phone.

Android Stereo Upgrade
962 posts
Jun 05, 2019

Newbie stereo carplay/camera/mic questions
9 posts
about 21 hours ago

Good luck.

#12 · (Edited)
I agree, you don't even notice the adapter trim on mine, your eyes are drawn to the crisp beautiful interface. Not knocking any alternatives, but I personally don't think the trim pieces will be that big of a deal once you have it all installed..

edit: that ATOTO A6 Pro does look really cool though!

#6 ·

Attachments

#7 ·
I just installed the ATOTO A6 unit and it looks and works great. It fits perfectly in the dash. The Toyota specific models come with a pre-made wire harness that plugs into the truck and the head unit without having to solder any wires together. The built-in mic on the front of the unit works good, though it does come with an external mic if you want to install it. I highly recommend this unit.

#8 ·
So I just installed this yesterday as well in a 2007 replacing the FJammer. I can't get my steering wheel controls to work. Instructions aren't great, so I'm not sure exactly how to hook them up. Eventually just got frustrated trying to find out how and just finished putting things back together.

I'm going to open it back up in the next few days to fix that and install the WiFi and GPS as well. Any advice on where/how you placed those?

For $233 I'm not mad about it. Looks great fits great and seems to work just fine. Super quick start up as well.

#11 ·
I installed my GPS antenna under the dash in between the compass cluster and the window. Just stick it on the underside of the dash.

I did the same thing with the WiFi antenna, stuck it on the underside of the dash in the space between the compass cluster and the face of the dash.

Both seem to have good reception.

Reactions: Boabrother4
#16 ·
There’s no chance Kenwood will offer that AUS unit here in the states , IDK why people are so hung up on the trim pieces unless they have severe OCD lol , all the USA units you need a dash kit , your only other choice is a POS China unit like Joying that will not hold up , Alpine is always the best choice

#19 ·
There is no doubt the Joying headunits are not as well built as the Alpine product. There is also no comparison to the amount of software and services the Chinese units can provide at half the price.

In 6 years the Alpine will be intensely dated (think iPhone 5s right now-old), but will still sound awesome... and I will be on my second Chinese headunit with 8x the storage, processing and screen resolution and no more regrets than updating my iPhone.

Pick your poison.

#23 ·
@ZoSoIV - I don't know if that is directed to me but as I said I got a Pioneer HU and will either adjust to the crappy looking adapter like most everyone else or look into customizing the bezel like I saw another forum member did. We need the wireless Apple and Android connection for texts etc and I have been installing Pioneer in my cars for several years now so the fam is familiar with them.

But I do have 3 teenagers and some of the younger generation care less about HU bells and whistles, they don't want to pay for nav or HD radio and just want solid Bluetooth so perhaps a good amp and speakers with a $100 joyo unit would work for their needs. If you need to replace it every 3 years you will still be ahead compared to buying a brand name flagship unit that one would want to replace every 5 or so years anyway.

Anyway I appreciate you posts here, I pieced together my system from some of your rec's over the years.

#25 · (Edited)
I installed a ddx919ws from eBay and it fit perfectly, the look is oem . The screen tilts to where you want and is strong at the position.
The only thing is the dvd region but who uses dvd when you can plug a memory stick into it; and play anything off of it?

No other issues that are because it is from asian area. Only dvd
It's not available anymore.
The Australian guy who sells from Carbon Systems is a pain because he said that he would not sell to the USA.

I just ordered one of these for my wifes Forrester. Forrester and FJ have the same radio fitment. It is less $ than the 919 because no dvd and a lower res screen. But the lower res won't be noticeable on a 7 inch screen IMHO. Also it has USB phone mirror ing instead of wireless. No screen tilting because no dvd to access behind it.
Otherwise it is the same. At 550$ USD , pretty nice. In summary..it's got usb android auto and usb android mirroring and USB memory stick read. Anyway, readd the spec s your self.
.... typing from my cell phone is a pain and Im rambling a bit..

I deemed the seller as ligit and bought one.

Just add some shims (or stack of washers) if a little tilt is wanted for an fj install. Easy peasy

#28 ·
Hey Y’all! Good thread/information... I am in the process of swapping out the OEM head unit with an Alpine INE-W987HD. I’m not skimping because I rarely have regrets with quality... I am a little OCD and would prefer to have as clean an install as possible. The 7” screen leaves room on each side of the dash opening. I know I can make my own filler plate, but was wondering if there was a “dash kit” that you’ve seen that is clean. If so, can you point me where?

I’m super excited to update the head unit and get the new cameras hooked in... looking forward to being able to check approach & departure from inside the vehicle. Yes, a spotter is good to have, but that’s not always an option.

#32 ·
Hey all…

I’m struggling with the fit at the top with the ATOTO A6 Pro.

I used the brackets from FJammer. It all looks right, but when putting the front panel back on. It’s seems slightly too high and I can’t get the top bracket to clip back in.

Anyone that has use the A6 have any recommendation

1) did you have an issue with this?

2) did you reuse the FJammer brackets?

appreciate any insight you have.

Automotive lighting Vehicle Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive mirror

Motor vehicle Computer Automotive design Automotive tire Vehicle door

Gadget Camera accessory Cameras & optics Auto part Personal luxury car

#33 · (Edited)
This post mentions drilling new holes in each bracket.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.