Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4WD Auto
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy howdy, I've been reading through here for a while now and thought I'd bite the bullet and finally join!

I have a 2010 4WD rebuild with about 160k miles on it. I got it last April, but due to the plague haven't had a lot of opportunities to take it off road.

Looking to do some mods to it as far as making it trail ready. I do most of my own work and as of last weekend, have begun doing a little body/pain repair. The previous owner was a little rough on it. Cosmetically, I slapped some matte black vinyl on the hood, fixed some scratches in the paint, and have blacked out the emblems.

It's the first SUV I've ever owned, as well as the first actually decent vehicle. I just want to learn as much as I can so I can baby it as much as possible.

·
Premium Member
4,405 Posts
Welcome from Oregon :)

Reactions: BalloonyToons

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
39,345 Posts
Welcome!

·
Registered
292 Posts
Welcome from Vancouver, British Columbia. What color? Totally stock? Where are you and what kind of offroad tripping do you want to do? A common (and smart) piece of advice given here is to get out and do some exploring/driving, as it will help you decide what (or even if any) modifications are necessary. Enjoy your FJ! Al

·
Premium Member
16,996 Posts
Welcome aboard!

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Welcome from SoCal!

BTW, nothing wrong with keeping it stock until you get out a few times with it and see what kind of wheeling you like. Then you can plan the mods that give you the most value!

·
Registered
2010 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4WD Auto
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the welcome everyone!

What color? Totally stock? Where are you and what kind of offroad tripping do you want to do? A common (and smart) piece of advice given here is to get out and do some exploring/driving, as it will help you decide what (or even if any) modifications are necessary.
Thanks for the advice! It's white and I'm pretty sure it's totally stock. The previous owner had attempted to black out the handles and the grill, but all of it was starting to peel from wear-and-tear, so I'm redoing it all. Honestly, I'd like to try all the off-roading I can, but I really like the idea of long-run camping.

Let's see some pics of that thing!
Here you go!

0D01570B-8BE7-4814-BB4B-2AF1BCBA0DB4.JPEG 4A692CB1-92B7-436E-8EAE-C919B88C5D54.JPEG 79F93D01-6DE4-4676-9CD6-45FD8A8C7F61.JPEG

·
Registered
292 Posts
Great looking truck!
If you like exploring and find you are hampered by lack of ground clearance, a simple 2-3" lift and slightly taller tires make a world of difference in where you can go and what you can get your FJ over. It doesn't have to be really expensive (some suspension kits are 3, 4, and even $5,000!). I did Old Man Emu springs and struts/shocks (US$1,000?), SPC upper control arms with their adjustable high perf ball joints (a little over $600?) to get alignment specs back in the realm of 'past minimum' for easy, safe highway driving and 285/70-17 BFG All Terrain TA's. The OME kit (and there are others like it) is the budget route, but totally capable- I'm more than satisfied with what we did. One of my son's friends calls the FJ the "cheater mobile"- he's amazed at how much it totally outperforms his older, close to stock Cherokee (and well it should!:LOL:). There are other kits in the same price range that are equally capable- I'll let other people chime in with their experiences.

Some of our adventures- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMIspHkYseZjgFvz96HkoJg If you like what you see, please subscribe- my son Scott (the budding filmmaker) will be thrilled! Hope this helps. Al

·
Registered
50 Posts
Great looking truck!
If you like exploring and find you are hampered by lack of ground clearance, a simple 2-3" lift and slightly taller tires make a world of difference in where you can go and what you can get your FJ over. It doesn't have to be really expensive (some suspension kits are 3, 4, and even $5,000!). I did Old Man Emu springs and struts/shocks (US$1,000?), SPC upper control arms with their adjustable high perf ball joints (a little over $600?) to get alignment specs back in the realm of 'past minimum' for easy, safe highway driving and 285/70-17 BFG All Terrain TA's. The OME kit (and there are others like it) is the budget route, but totally capable- I'm more than satisfied with what we did. One of my son's friends calls the FJ the "cheater mobile"- he's amazed at how much it totally outperforms his older, close to stock Cherokee (and well it should!:LOL:). There are other kits in the same price range that are equally capable- I'll let other people chime in with their experiences.

Some of our adventures- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMIspHkYseZjgFvz96HkoJg If you like what you see, please subscribe- my son Scott (the budding filmmaker) will be thrilled! Hope this helps. Al
Subscribed to your channel. 😁

·
Registered
292 Posts
I've been watching a lot of fj stuff on YouTube since I bought mine. I don't think mine has been of road in its life.
Go find a dirt road, follow it and find out where it goes. It doesn't have to really go anywhere special- to the top of a hill with a view where you and someone else can look out and go "wow" will do. My brother comes out with me occasionally; we bring beer, or the fixings for a couple of drinks, lawn chairs and will pick somewhere to just sit and chat for an hour, and then it's time to move on. A great way to spend a few hours!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts