Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, liked FJ's for a long time and finally might buy one. Looking at a 2007 4x4 FJ with 180,000 miles. Guy wants $14,500. Don't know much about these cars as far as maintenance needed at this mileage. Was hoping you all can give me some tips on what to expect.

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
Unless u go wheeling maintenance is pretty minimal. 14500 for 180000 miles is quite too much for a 2007. I would not pay more than 12500. Check two major issues with this year car 1. does it shudder at low speed and 2. is there a crack at the engine mount.

·
4-Corners Moderator
5,240 Posts
Yeah early 2007 FJs sometimes can have weak rear differential gears that can break teeth off if you offroad hard. Then as mentioned above are the fender buldges/fender cracks that happen on the inside of the engine bay, though they aren't a huge problem usually, they can get bad to the point of causing issues. But yeah 14,500 is a bit much for that many miles.

·
Registered
2007 FJC 4x4.
9,939 Posts
Yep too high. At that point it would have had all fluids, belt, plugs (every 30K), coolant (100K), brake fluid (every 2 yrs), probably suspension parts, likely alternator and idler pullies are whining, or close to, brakes.

Now, if there is a huge bible of service records, its probably great. Still high. I would buy a 180K mile FJ with records before a 120K mile one with none.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
My '07 has no issues at 74k mi... I have seen 4.0's 'any year' leaking oil. Check front of the engine, if the leak is bad you'll see oil setting on skid or cross members, etc. Seeping a little oil would be expected at that mileage but oil coating or sitting would be an issue for me.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Would do both a CarFax and AutoChek, as one often catches things other one misses. Would run Vin through Toyota data base to see service, warrantyl and recall history, Would be a little dubious if more than 2 or 3 owners. Agree price is high for mileage, local or have to travel to see/buy it? Would take it to a Toyota dealer or have owner do it after talking with service mgr that you are interested in buying, having them do most thorough inspection (140 points, I think?) and send report to you, not owner. If out of town, give service mgr your credit card, so they are working for YOU, not owner. Negotiate with current owner before inspection and agreed upon price that if any
major issues found, he will either reduce price or fix items and provide paid receipts. I've purchased several vehicles out of town this way and had good results each time!'

Good Luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts