Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
Bumper has been installed for the final time. Now to shift gears to working on the swing-out.

I'll post up some more later

·
Registered
511 Posts
Very nice! I just noticed the two wiring outlets added to the rear door. I might have missed it earlier in this thread, but what are those for? Rear lights? Also, I see the 7-pin to the left of the receiver, but what is the round plug to the right?

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
You named the thread "New High Clearance Rear Bumper option coming soon", so far it is only a custom bumper you had built with no reference to any manufacturer or distribution, so how is this an option?

·
Premium Member
7,671 Posts
seems from what I read, his buddy will be putting these into production.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Very nice! I just noticed the two wiring outlets added to the rear door. I might have missed it earlier in this thread, but what are those for? Rear lights? Also, I see the 7-pin to the left of the receiver, but what is the round plug to the right?

Those might be the 2 backup cameras I have temporarily mounted to the back door or my Ham radio antenna wires. Backup lights and cameras will be mounted on the swing-out in the final revision.

You named the thread "New High Clearance Rear Bumper option coming soon", so far it is only a custom bumper you had built with no reference to any manufacturer or distribution, so how is this an option?
This is the prototype and once the swing-out is finished and costs and labor can be calculated it will be going into limited production. Most of the parts have been designed to be robotically cut and bent. ...

·
Registered
2,925 Posts

Those might be the 2 backup cameras I have temporarily mounted to the back door or my Ham radio antenna wires. Backup lights and cameras will be mounted on the swing-out in the final revision.

This is the prototype and once the swing-out is finished and costs and labor can be calculated it will be going into limited production. Most of the parts have been designed to be robotically cut and bent...
Thanks for the info, that bump is awesome

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Here is another update from Mat,

Pretty picture Drew
so the inflation valves and 120V connection were a special request from Drew and would be optional for future units.
The standard will always be the construction:
1/4" frame mounts
1/2" tow points directly connected to the frame mounts and sleeved for better shackle mounting
1/4" outer shell for the main bumper skin
3/16" for the wings (which are being raised to cover the plastic trim)
gussets to reinforce the side wings
reinforcements for the trailer hitch to make it comparable to a class 5.
backup sensor cut ins
mounting done by using the 2 bottom factory bolts and 3 new (that have to be drilled into the frame) bolts with heavy duty nuts mounted to a channel that is welded to the bumper
2000lbs spindle
the safety chain bumper mounts will be attached a little differently and be stronger because of it
quick latch and release lock for the swing out
swing out options will depend on customer demands.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Very nice!! :clap: Is it possible to post a pic with the finished product installed from the side of the vehicle, to give us a better view of the departure angle?

·
Registered
511 Posts
Excellent job so far! I too would like to see some additional photos from the side and up close on some of the non-standard options like air connections and the 120v outlet. Can't wait to see the end result with swing-out options as well. Keep up the good work!

Cheers,

Jeff

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
If you need another FJ to use for prototyping, PM me and we'll talk.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Is that C4 on the trunk door ?!?:lol: Looks awsome though
After years of talking about rear bumper options with others and with my fellow wheeler and fabricator buddy Mat, he finally took on the change of designing and fabricating something that would incorporate

- Improved Ground Clearance
- Improved Approach angles
- Incorporated Tailor Hitch
- Integrated swing out with the rear door
- Relocate spare tire to swing out
- Mount 2 (5gal) fuel cans
and much more

Here are a few photos the Prototype bumper after our final fitting before sending it out to get powder coated. Next is to finalize the mounting of the spare tire and fuel cans on the swing out.

CLICK here for full details

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I'll try to get some photos in the next few days and if possible get some next to another FJ to show the differences...

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Why didn't he design the sides to go high enough to cover the void where the bumper end caps were, looks like a 1" gap?

·
Registered
562 Posts
You ID the 120 volt as "HOOK UP”. What is inside that would require 120 volt? Is it tied in to the 120v outlet already installed in the truck? If that is the purpose, is that receptacle on the bumper hot when the inverter is on? If that is the case wouldn’t the prongs on that male plug be energized? If you are plugged into a 120 volt source and plugged into your ride what gets hot. Or do you have some way to isolate that plug on the bumper so as not to back feed into the inverter?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Why didn't he design the sides to go high enough to cover the void where the bumper end caps were, looks like a 1" gap?
There where a handful of reasons but now that it has been mounted and all of the other concerns have been dealt with he has re-designed it to come up the extra bit... Guess it's the price I have to pay for being the guinea pig

You ID the 120 volt as "HOOK UP”. What is inside that would require 120 volt? Is it tied in to the 120v outlet already installed in the truck? If that is the purpose, is that receptacle on the bumper hot when the inverter is on? If that is the case wouldn’t the prongs on that male plug be energized? If you are plugged into a 120 volt source and plugged into your ride what gets hot. Or do you have some way to isolate that plug on the bumper so as not to back feed into the inverter?
It is a 120v input... to run my battery maintainer and keep my batteries charged, not linked to my inverter or any other system... was getting tired of popping the hood and running a cord along side the truck when I was not going to be using the truck...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Was at the dealership yesterday and was finally able to park next to another FJ Cruiser...

21 - 40 of 62 Posts