Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After spending 3 months searching the forum, I finally bought a new 2010 and dropped $3000 on:

18x9 liquid metal gatlin wheels

295/65/18 Duratracs

Toytec 3" lift (the one with OME springs front and rear, not the ultimate)

Light Racing Upper Control Arms

Installed all parts and went to the shop to have an alignment done which tooks multiple tries and hours on the phone with SPC products to get the caster correct. Let the problems begin:

1# - Handlling has gone from great to crap. FJ wanders and tracks the grooves in the road while darting all over the place.

#2 - The UCA's added about an inch of additional lift which I didnt want, so now the truck slopes down to the rear and looks silly

#3 The drivers side rear sits a full inch lower than the passenger side

I am seriously ready to scrap all of it and go back to stock unless someone can offer me some advice.
:flame::flame::flame: I am open to any suggestions. This is my daily driver for about 25K miles a year and it needs to be right. Should I scrap the toytec and go to a smaller, spacer lift like the daystar? Any suggestions are appreciated.

·
Registered
8,951 Posts
Start by getting some pictures up on here of the overall, front and rear suspension at all corners, the more the better.. something is wrong with the install I guarentee, pictures here will most likely give you a quik answer !....

Also, where is your location...

and post an image of the alignment report... usally gives caster, camber, toe numbers for the left and right front....

·
Registered
132 Posts
See if you can take some pictures of the install both sides. That way people can comment on the install and see if it looks correct. maybe it is something simple.

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts
What OME lift are you running?

It sounds like something might be installed incorrectly as well. Getting the caster correct shouldn't be that hard either.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Agreed with the above posts, I would suspect something amiss with the install. Just clocking the rear springs wrong and not having them sit correctly in the seat can cause the issues you have with the rear.

Hard to really tell without actually looking at it.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Sorry to hear about your troubles, take a deep breath and count to ten before you start ripping things back out.
There are two shim kits available to correct the "FJ lean" one is specific to the OME springs. Both shim kits are only about 20 bucks.

I don't think that your UCAs added any lift themselves, their job is just to keep everything tracking together.

What are the part numbers of the front and the rear OME springs you had installed? Shocks?

It sounds like the Alignment shop gave up from what you are describing. It may be worth letting another shop have a go. Where are you located?

Oh, and Pics, Pics, Pics.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all for the advice. The 4x4 shop has been great in my past projects and they were on the phone with SPC and Toytec for hours before they came up with the determination that the caster needed to be at around 4 degrees positive on both sides which made the truck handle WAY better than when they had both sides at around 2.5 degrees positive caster.

I am pretty close to 100% positive that the front springs and UCAs are installed correctly since I even took pictures and emailed them to SPC and Toytec, and the shop confirmed them as so. I am going to put the rear up on jack stands today and remove the rear springs to see what I can determine. I will post pics and serial numbers soon. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
386 Posts
Thanks all for the advice. The 4x4 shop has been great in my past projects and they were on the phone with SPC and Toytec for hours before they came up with the determination that the caster needed to be at around 4 degrees positive on both sides which made the truck handle WAY better than when they had both sides at around 2.5 degrees positive caster.

I am pretty close to 100% positive that the front springs and UCAs are installed correctly since I even took pictures and emailed them to SPC and Toytec, and the shop confirmed them as so. I am going to put the rear up on jack stands today and remove the rear springs to see what I can determine. I will post pics and serial numbers soon. Thanks for the help!
Sounds good, a rear spring with the bottom end of coil not butted up to the stop on the lower perch will do all kinds of weird stuff.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
OK all I removed the rear springs and here is what I found:

First off, both springs are 100% the same height which was one of my main concerns. As the FJ sits now, sitting on rear jack stands, the truck is perfectly level from left to right side. I had a friend put a piece of wood on top of one of the springs and sit on it to see how much compression there was, and I would get about 1/2 inch tops (simulatiing the fuel tank weight). Does it matter how I have the springs installed as far as how they are rotated? Do they need to be identical or should I try and put the highest part of the spring rotated on the drivers side and the lower part on the passenger side?

The truck looks badass but I think I am going to order the daystar 2.5/1.5 leveling kit and just sell the toytec lift. Honestly this fj is going to be a street queen and I have my old CJ7 for offroading and I want to get the old ride quality of the stock UCA's and springs back. The lift has 200 miles on it if anyone wants to purchase it from me.

·
Premium Member
7,671 Posts
that's one thing I've found about modding... you get one thing, and you have to fix another thing to make the one thing work right ... uggh it's a viscous circle.

·
Registered
386 Posts
OK all I removed the rear springs and here is what I found:

First off, both springs are 100% the same height which was one of my main concerns. As the FJ sits now, sitting on rear jack stands, the truck is perfectly level from left to right side. I had a friend put a piece of wood on top of one of the springs and sit on it to see how much compression there was, and I would get about 1/2 inch tops (simulatiing the fuel tank weight). Does it matter how I have the springs installed as far as how they are rotated? Do they need to be identical or should I try and put the highest part of the spring rotated on the drivers side and the lower part on the passenger side?

The truck looks badass but I think I am going to order the daystar 2.5/1.5 leveling kit and just sell the toytec lift. Honestly this fj is going to be a street queen and I have my old CJ7 for offroading and I want to get the old ride quality of the stock UCA's and springs back. The lift has 200 miles on it if anyone wants to purchase it from me.
There is only one position for the rear springs, you have to butt the end of the coil against the notch on the bottom spring perch. If you did not do this the first time it may be part of the problem. I thought you said you had OME springs, those are Toytech.

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts
The rear suspension is pretty hard to mess up when installing.

I think your problem lies with the front suspension.

Adding aftermarket UCAs CAN give you more lift if you have way too strong of coils up front and are at full suspension droop up front while the vehicle is on the ground. The slight extra range of motion could give slightly more height, though not much.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
After spending 3 months searching the forum, I finally bought a new 2010 and dropped $3000 on:

18x9 liquid metal gatlin wheels

295/65/18 Duratracs

Toytec 3" lift (the one with OME springs front and rear, not the ultimate)

Light Racing Upper Control Arms

Installed all parts and went to the shop to have an alignment done which tooks multiple tries and hours on the phone with SPC products to get the caster correct. Let the problems begin:

1# - Handlling has gone from great to crap. FJ wanders and tracks the grooves in the road while darting all over the place.

#2 - The UCA's added about an inch of additional lift which I didnt want, so now the truck slopes down to the rear and looks silly

#3 The drivers side rear sits a full inch lower than the passenger side

I am seriously ready to scrap all of it and go back to stock unless someone can offer me some advice.
:flame::flame::flame: I am open to any suggestions. This is my daily driver for about 25K miles a year and it needs to be right. Should I scrap the toytec and go to a smaller, spacer lift like the daystar? Any suggestions are appreciated.
I will address your numbered items before I make any more comments.

#1 Your tire choice is likely responsible for following groves in the road. Some tires do it badly. I hear that the more square the corner of the tire is, the worse they follow the groves. If I remember correctly, the Duratrac is pretty square on the corners.

#2 Unless you put the UCA on the wrong sides and have the front suspension in a terrible bind, it is very unlikely that this happened.

#3 It did when it was stock too. That's where your gas tank is. It won't do it that badly when the tank is empty. They all do it.

Now to my other comments... I've heard a lot of people that are not happy with Toytec lift components. You might look into either getting a premium lift, like Icon or SAW, or going to a tried and true lift like OME.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Well? don't leave us hanging, what's the verdict?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Suggestion. You might try the straight OME 884/895E lift my guess is you already have the correct shocks, It gave me slightly over 2" lift in front and 2.5"-3" in rear. NO wandering issues, NO need to replace UCA.

Major improvement in ride quality and appearance but still very realistic for daily driver, springs are not too stiff.

If you take this route I also suggest buying the 5mm OME shim for drivers front it offsets the lean nicely.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Suggestion. You might try the straight OME 884/895E lift my guess is you already have the correct shocks, It gave me slightly over 2" lift in front and 2.5"-3" in rear. NO wandering issues, NO need to replace UCA.

Major improvement in ride quality and appearance but still very realistic for daily driver, springs are not too stiff.

If you take this route I also suggest buying the 5mm OME shim for drivers front it offsets the lean nicely.
I agree, this combo would work nicely. From the original post i thought that was close to the set up the O.P. had until I saw the pic of the rear springs.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts