Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
A quick update. I have the headers at the cerakote shop, they should be done next week. I did have one stud break, but the rest all came out eventually. The one stud that broke still has some material above the manifold flange, so when I get them off I can work that a little better. If it continues to prove to be stubborn I’ll weld up a drill guide from the bolt hole pattern on the removed manifold. Once the manifolds are off I don’t anticipate any major issues to get the last one out. I still haven’t found a good stainless steel solution for the CAT back part of the exhaust system. If I could find a 2 1/2” cat back SS system that isn’t too loud I’d be happy.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Does that kit have manifolds included? If not you won't need to go through the wonderful experience I am...!
this kit does not have manifolds or headers included , my understanding is headers don't help our trucks that much if any , anyone else have an opinion on that ?
Regarding headers, if you’re willing to omit the front cats, urd’s equal length headers give a good return on investment.

From the URD website: “Peak gain was 17 RWHP and 30 RWTQ

Max Gain was 22 RWHP at 3500 RPM and 34 RWTQ at 3430 RPM.”

They have a nice dyno chart to accompany this.

·
Registered
322 Posts
A quick update. I have the headers at the cerakote shop, they should be done next week. I did have one stud break, but the rest all came out eventually. The one stud that broke still has some material above the manifold flange, so when I get them off I can work that a little better. If it continues to prove to be stubborn I’ll weld up a drill guide from the bolt hole pattern on the removed manifold. Once the manifolds are off I don’t anticipate any major issues to get the last one out. I still haven’t found a good stainless steel solution for the CAT back part of the exhaust system. If I could find a 2 1/2” cat back SS system that isn’t too loud I’d be happy.
Hey, how much is the coating going to cost?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
Regarding headers, if you’re willing to omit the front cats, urd’s equal length headers give a good return on investment.

Those numbers seem high , I would assume peak conditions and premium gas

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I have to apologize for the delay. The powder coat shop screwed up the first try so I had them redo my headers. They turned out fairly nice but they had them for a month. I had another vehicle to prepare for a long trip and then I took that two week vacation so now I'm back. I still haven't found a CAT back system that I like, so I may check into having one custom bent out of stainless. i heard there might be a shop in MD so I'm looking into that. Anyways, it's been slow going on this one I know but hang in there, it will happen.

Attachments

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #29

I already purchased these headers so any other option is out, but, no, I am not willing to delete any of the CATS due to error codes (lots of threads on that). And again I am not looking for HP numbers, if the performance is better then great, but I am only looking to replace the rusted original manifolds. Also headers are cool....

·
Registered
799 Posts
I already purchased these headers so any other option is out, but, no, I am not willing to delete any of the CATS due to error codes (lots of threads on that). And again I am not looking for HP numbers, if the performance is better then great, but I am only looking to replace the rusted original manifolds. Also headers are cool....
Thanks for the update. My post was in reference to someone else's assertion that headers aren't worth it, 'cause they totally are when done right. However, I do think the majority of the benefits that are seen from long tube headers is the removal of the CATs. Living in a heavily regulated state, that doesn't make it very easy. The magnaflows you're working on look interesting, it will be interesting to see what you think of them.

Also, the error codes with long tubes are super easy to mitigate with O2 simulators from URD and a set of sensor extenders. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see you experience the same P0430/P0420 with the magnaflow cats. I don't know why, but seems like the FJ and some tacomas are really sensitive on the CEL response from a CAT that it says is operating below the threshold. I think the code is triggered too quickly.....anywho if you see that code after you break them in, grab yourself a set of sims from URD. I'm going to be selling mine, as the UCON I have manages the same function. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
"I still haven't found a CAT back system that I like, so I may check into having one custom bent out of stainless. "

Isn't the stock cat back system stainless? Might be cheaper than custom.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I have to apologize for the delay. The powder coat shop screwed up the first try so I had them redo my headers. They turned out fairly nice but they had them for a month. I had another vehicle to prepare for a long trip and then I took that two week vacation so now I'm back. I still haven't found a CAT back system that I like, so I may check into having one custom bent out of stainless. i heard there might be a shop in MD so I'm looking into that. Anyways, it's been slow going on this one I know but hang in there, it will happen.
Let me know more about the shop in MD when you investigate. Looking forward to hearing about the results.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Years of working on air cooled VW's taught me to always spray exhaust hardware down with Kroil at least the day before and again before working. If they dont budge, spray again and revisit later or the next day.

Most importantly......

ALWAYS replace the exhaust nuts with copper nuts!! Never had trouble removing them after replacing them.

Here's a site with an example:

https://www.belmetric.com/hex-with-flange-c-3_51_53/?zenid=ns38nnfqknlretf95p6i4vp0g4

21 - 36 of 36 Posts