Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. My wife was involved in a head-on collision with someone who ran a red light. She was pretty beat up but fortunately she will be ok. What might have saved her life was the steel WARN 73040 Bumper she had on her 2007 FJ Cruiser which are now discontinued. Can anyone give me some guidance on where I can find a replacement bumper? Everywhere online says they have '1 in stock' when that is not the case. We just wasted 3 weeks with a company on this before they cancelled the order. During that time we are paying storage fees to the auto repair shop and a rental car. We need help finding someone who physically has that bumper. I called WARN direct but they gave us zero guidance. Thank you in advance.

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
6,309 Posts
Wow....well first I’m glad she’s ok and that the FJ/steel bumper were there for her! Second, welcome to the forum :smileAs for that exact bumper, not sure how much luck you’ll have finding one here but certainly worth an ask. I know ARB bumpers are tank-like, heavy and beefy, perhaps an alternative? I’m sure others will chime in on best bumpers for collisions, and completely understand the need to restore a sense of safety (having been forced off the road and into cliff at high speed) so I have personal experience with this. Mine was a hit and run...never caught the guys....hope whoever did this to her was brought to justice. Good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
WARN would be our first option for sure but would definitely like to get your suggestions on alternative bumpers. The 73040 bumper weighs 175 lbs so it was very solid. I will look into ARB and any other suggestions that come across. Thank you so much for the quick response.

·
Premium Member
2,092 Posts

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,668 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Welcome! Glad the bumper and FJ did their jobs correctly. If you can't find a WARN bumper, check out Demello steel bumpers as an alternative. Mine is secondhand, the previous owner killed a deer at speed with it and every part of the bumper but the point of impact stayed perfectly in spec, and the relatively small impact crater was easily pushed out with a bottle jack. Plus, it's a little lighter than some other options, with the weight being used where it is most important for protection. Plus, the guys and gals of Demello Offroad are great folks who stand by their products. There's a number of styles available (as well as aluminum options) depending on your preferences.
In the attached photo you can see where the bumper caught the deer center-mass. There's internal bracing throughout the bumper that spreads out the load so that the bumper can take larger impacts without major deformation and smaller impacts (I have been known to bump into things while off-road on occasion) without anything but paint loss.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
As much as I love the thought of having an aluminum front bumper for weight savings...you just gotta appreciate a thread like this to convince for a steel front bumper for life savings. ?

Mike

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Welcome to the show. :cheers:

Glad your wife and the FJ are ok!

If you can't find your Warn, you will find something around here that will do the job as well or better. Many options, I love my Trailworx, Dave can build a bumper.

·
Premium Member
16,738 Posts
Welcome aboard! Glad your wife is OK and good luck with your front bumper search.

·
Registered
10,440 Posts
Welcome.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts