Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of us who have been to the Summit at Ouray - there must be some ideas for the "next" modification on the FJ Cruiser.

Maybe this is a good place to post it and I'll start out:

CELL PHONE REPEATER - I saw AIR2AIR's cell phone repeater, mounted on the roof of his rig and thought to myself, what a GREAT idea. We're out and about, often out of range but less out of range with a repeater.

REAR LED LIGHTS - I loved JIMD's rear LED lights. They're low profile, they're bright - no more bulky Manic armor to protect the rear lights.

GOBI ROOF RACK - SHADOW-WARRIOR's Gobi rack sold me on the Gobi as my eventual replacement for the OEM roof rack that I'm running now.

·
Registered
274 Posts
REAR LED LIGHTS - I loved JIMD's rear LED lights. They're low profile, they're bright - no more bulky Manic armor to protect the rear lights.
Any pics?

toby

·
Premium Member
8,988 Posts
GOLIGHT SEARCHLIGHTS as seen on the Expeditioneers.com FJ.

Marine grade, powerful, and remote control on/off and directional control.

Golight® :: Remote Controlled Searchlights & Spotlights

EXTENDED REAR BRAKE LINES to help ensure that the trip is safe and the brakes keep working articulation after articulation

GPS NAVIGATION I borrowed one for the trip and they are handy for finding quick routes as well as hotels and points of interest. No more time wasted printing Mapquest routes

LED INTERIOR(CEILING) LIGHT Much, much more interior light

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
GOBI ROOF RACK - SHADOW-WARRIOR's Gobi rack sold me on the Gobi as my eventual replacement for the OEM roof rack that I'm running now.
Ditto, on the Gobi rack. I now know why they're so expensive; the quality is top-notch! I had to see one with my own eyes to get hooked. A Stealth rack is one my short list, for sure...

GOLIGHT SEARCHLIGHTS as seen on the Expeditioneers.com FJ.

Marine grade, powerful, and remote control on/off and directional control.

Golight® :: Remote Controlled Searchlights & Spotlights

EXTENDED REAR BRAKE LINES to help ensure that the trip is safe and the brakes keep working articulation after articulation

LED INTERIOR(CEILING) LIGHT Much, much more interior light
Very cool roof mounted lights, indeed.

I'm also going with extended rear brake lines, as well, especially looking at the rigs in front of mine at Engineers.

And, gotta love those LED interior lights! I had no idea they were so bright (I had doubts, based upon some flashlights I've seen). But, the interior lights are incredible. Definitely on my list, now.

However, my next mods will be (in no real order):

EXTENDED REAR BRAKE LINES Ditto. I was gunning on two trails, and was watching all the articulation of the folks all down the line, with lifts and without. Those with lifts were really flexing, and the lines on mine are already taught without flexing. I can imagine the rubber lines are a little weaker after every flex...

ROCK SLIDERS Well, this one was just taken care of with winning the Metal Tech step sliders at the summit!

FRONT BUMPER There were so many configurations that I saw at the summit, but I'm still fretting between the All Pro, Expedition One, and Demello. I've still got time to decide, because it's gonna take a few more months' saving up...

GOBI STEALTH ROOF RACK Very nice, and love the low profile.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
That is what I have told people about the Gobi racks. Once you see one, you will realize how and why they cost what they cost. I bought mine 2 years ago, and it has certainly been a good investment. You WON'T be disappointed.

:)

·
Premium Member
2,793 Posts
SKIDS!

I can't believe I don't have them yet (having a kid will do that), but man there is hardly anything left of the underside of my truck.

·
Registered
201 Posts
SKIDS!!! My underside feels like this::fight:

·
Premium Member
7,063 Posts
Roof-mounted seats. So my rear passengers had a place where they could actually SEE the trail while riding with me. :)

M

·
FJ Expeditions R Us
4,084 Posts
Snorkle and the Scuba Driver mod. Seem's Do Work may have gotten water in his tranny from the small streams we crossed!

cheers,

dale

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Traders custom snorkel made of vacuum hoses:D seriously the best one of all! no cutting of metal on a 30 grand vehicle:cheers:

I liked the new automated lights system on Toddunderscores rig...and the metal tech tube doors...I'm on the list to buy those bad boys as soon as they are made!

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
- Demello rear bumper with a copy of Sol's tire carrier! (I have a growing jealousy of that dude)
- Skinny 35" tires (why are these so hard to find?)
- Hook up my damn Air Compressor so my Front Locker works!
- Heavier spring for my front DR/Icon coil-overs
- Get said coil-overs rebuilt by Icon
- Custom rear springs (3.5 inches of lift and a 350 spring rate)
- Longer travel rear shocks
- Extended brake lines

Then the "obstacle" on Poughkeepsie will be mine dang it......It needs to be beaten by an IFS rig.

·
Premium Member
2,793 Posts
- Demello rear bumper with a copy of Sol's tire carrier! (I have a growing jealousy of that dude)
- Skinny 35" tires (why are these so hard to find?)
- Hook up my damn Air Compressor so my Front Locker works!
- Heavier spring for my front DR/Icon coil-overs
- Get said coil-overs rebuilt by Icon
- Custom rear springs (3.5 inches of lift and a 350 spring rate)
- Longer travel rear shocks
- Extended brake lines

Then the "obstacle" on Poughkeepsie will be mine dang it......It needs to be beaten by an IFS rig.
What tires did that Taco have at the top of Poughkeepsie? He had some THIN 35's on his rig. I think they were some form of Interco SS's, but I'm not sure. He had them fully inflated and he seemed to hold his own out there. Of course he also did it without caring a lick for his truck, which always makes getting up something easier.

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
What tires did that Taco have at the top of Poughkeepsie? He had some THIN 35's on his rig. I think they were some form of Interco SS's, but I'm not sure. He had them fully inflated and he seemed to hold his own out there. Of course he also did it without caring a lick for his truck, which always makes getting up something easier.
He was running LTBs. I might add that I would like something highway worthy, like a Maxxis Bighorn or Cooper STT, just can't find the size I need.

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
We are more than happy with our Ranger Gobi Rack.. and great customer service also... if you need someone to talk to Gobi directly, speak to Tim.

I'd say for a new mod I'd like to get different front and rear bumpers.. my fab fours are just way to heavy. Larry I think we've had the discussion about the back bumper before..

·
Registered
8,957 Posts
Traders custom snorkel made of vacuum hoses:D seriously the best one of all! no cutting of metal on a 30 grand vehicle:cheers: ...
:clap: That is a great home built MOD !.. :rocker:

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
- with a copy of Sol's tire carrier!
Was that the tire off to the side and the three gas cans??? GAWD that truck was friggin sweet.

New mods: Demello bumpers - ....didn't win them....will buy them eventually....

Ham radio.......Lance let Dan use one of his on Imogene....now we "must have one".... :D

1 - 20 of 34 Posts