Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have owned several fj40's, have a 1977 fj40 now and also just bought a 2011 fj cruiser. Its the real deal. looking forward to learning alot from you'll.
I live in Fairmont, West Virginia. I would like to replace the stock tires. Any thoughts from some of you experienced owners would be helpful. Want to go with a tire that will be ok on the highway as well as some mild off roading.
thanks

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
I'm running Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ's. They are a 33X12.50, so a little extreme. But even at that size they are pretty quiet and have served me well in moderate offroad situations.

You should post some pictures of your rigs! Or at least the 2011. I know people are enjoying getting a view of the new color selection.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Welcome. I want a set of Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs. Haven't bought them though as they don't come in the size I want. Like the Copper STT's as well.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Hello and welcome! Duratracs are great, but they might be a little more than what you described. I'd still recomend them.

·
Premium Member
2,753 Posts
Welcome to the Blue Room. I'm about ready to retire my BFG A/T's. I put over 100 miles a day on them and they've been good to me. I don't know what I'm going to try next.

·
Premium Member
16,938 Posts
Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey Fairmont - Wirt County WV here...you sound like an old hand at all this, Mountaineer. Thanks for opening the thread.

I just bought my very first FJ today; Army Green, Convenience Pkg., Upgrade Pkg., running boards, roof rack, the incredible JBL system, power everything....the list seems infinite...wow.

I kept noticing the FJ sitting in the lot at my local dealer, and finally let curiosity drive me. I took it for a spin just yesterday. I wasn't impressed, I was enthralled. Not being a gear-head by anyone's definition (I'm a woodworker, typically the 2 are odd bedfellows), I just blurted out to the salesman, "I love driving this, and I'm going to own it!" in mid-test drive.

Via Google, I found this forum last night after I got home, and went cruising through y'alls comments. Though I didn't need much persuading, it was the "Problems with FJ Cruiser" thread (or similarly named), where one of you wrote you were disgusted with the size of the volume knob on the radio, and were going to trade it in, that tipped me the last centimeter. I couldn't stop laughing, and now...well.....

It's in the garage right now, and I keep going back to the door and staring out at it. It's the most awesome vehicle I've ever driven in my life, and I've gotta lotta miles on me.

I actually traded in two vehicles to get this baby. I've never been in anything like it. It's unbelievable. I'm all outta cool superlatives. It's just.....WOW.

One thing I noticed on the ride home was the way it handled in high winds. It's boxy for sure. Not as bad as a pickup with an empty bed, but it moved me a bit. I have a lot to learn about how it handles, so feel free to help me graduate from FJ Learner's Permit to "He Lives In that Thing".

I could go on and on, but you've all heard it before. So, hey all. Thanks for this forum. I'm sure I'll be here a lot.

·
Registered
10,440 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Welcome! The BFG All-Terrains that come on the TT's get great reviews and are definitely long lasting.. check out the wheel/tire section for tons of info.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
It's in the garage right now, and I keep going back to the door and staring out at it. It's the most awesome vehicle I've ever driven in my life, and I've gotta lotta miles on me.

That's funny right there............then I realized I still give mine a peek as I head for bed at night. I'm on my 2nd FJ Cruiser, and just added a '68 FJ40 to the garage (it's officially my 'Garage Queen'). The other night I peeked out the door into the garage, and there was an empty space where the Cruiser gets parked - my heart sank - then I remembered I parked it in the driveway as I was working on the 40. Sometimes I really amaze myself!

Anyway get used to the feeling........it doesn't go away.

As for the orig post about tires...........My first FJC got fitted with black steelies and a new set of Bridgestone Revos 285's - great all purpose tire, smooth hi-way and aggressive enough and self-cleaning tread for light/medium off-roading. My current FJC came with BFG Rugged Trails on it - can't complain but haven't been off-road much like I was in my other one.

Jerry:cheers:

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
I'm running Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ's. They are a 33X12.50, so a little extreme. But even at that size they are pretty quiet and have served me well in moderate offroad situations.
I have the same tires on my Sandi, and they've been great....even in some pretty extreme (for an FJC) offroading situations, but I don't think they necessarily match up with what the OP is looking for.

...Want to go with a tire that will be ok on the highway as well as some mild off roading.
Don't get me wrong. I LOVE these tires, and they would definitely work for that description. It just all depends on what is the most important aspect to you.

In my case, even though the main thing we actually use the FJC for and the majority of the miles we put on it are road driving, we made the decision to get these tires for the purpose of off-roading this time (and so glad we did), and knew they just wouldn't be ideal for the on-road part ...and were OK with that going into it.

Anyway, welcome :clap:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts