1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Vehicle Automotive side marker light

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Car Plant

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking around since Thanksgiving when I picked up my Titanium 2010 AT 4x4. I put the 100,000th mile on it while test driving it. I've been driving a 2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ for the last 10 years, but it was finally time for a new engine at 240K, so I sold it to a guy intent on dropping a V8 in it... Point being, the XJ community is a thing to behold, the resources I found while working on that truck always amazed me. So imagine my relief when I found this site!

Thank you all for amassing this source of knowledge.

I drove many Tacomas and Jeep Wranglers on my way to buying an FJ, and just couldn't get over the long wheel base and horrible departure angles of the Tacos, or the **** reliability and gutless engines of the Wranglers in my price range. I would have been settling if I'd gone with either of those. I feel like the FJ was the obvious answer to my vehicular needs and I can't wait to build this into the rig I actually want.

Things I've done already with your help:
Cleaned throttle body
Replaced Alternator
Cleaned Mass Air Flow Sensor
Replaced PCV Valve
Greased Fittings (Zirks)
Replaced Front Door Speakers
Yota Liners Splash Guards

Next up (likely in order):
Tire rotation and balancing
Replace both front wheel bearing/hub assemblies (Mid State seems like the way to go)
Transmission Fluid
Differential Fluid
Lift, debating OME vs ICON at the moment. Any input appreciated, I like the rebuildable idea. I off road mostly to get to remote rock climbing (like, with ropes) and camping locations, crawling is not really my thing, probably wont go any larger than 30" tires.
HC Front Bumper
HC Rear Bumper
Sound Deadening

Onward!

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
44,647 Posts
Welcome!

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Welcome from Vancouver, Canada!

·
Registered
777 Posts
Another welcome from Vancouver, BC. I have an '08 with OME lift (885 front springs, 895 rear, and their Nitrocharger Sport struts/shocks), SPC upper control arms and BFG ATTA 285/70-17's (32.8" tall- just over 1" taller than the stock 265/70-17's) which I daily drive/work out of as well as spending a couple days a month out exploring. The lift and tires have been in for about a year and a half (about 30,000 kms now) and I'm still more than happy with it, both off and on road.
Some of my 2 son's and my (and a couple of the eldest on his own with friends) adventures- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMIspHkYseZjgFvz96HkoJg

·
Registered
2010TT AT
1,684 Posts
Hi DustPan, welcome from Ohio!

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
Welcome from Iowa.

·
Premium Member
17,201 Posts
Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
for lifts/suspension...take a look at the sticky on that forum outlining the many choices. OME= reliable; Icon = expensive and now a poor reputation. For the usage you have described, i would look at what Toytec offers. but the sky is the limit on suspension. Rebuildable equals big bucks and also means downtime on the vehicle come time to rebuild them (just something to factor into your decision)

On the future maint list, any reason why you are wanting to replace the wheel bearing and hubs? Are they making noise? I see you already replaced alternator -- was it going bad? Did you replace with a new Denso or remanufactured Denso alternator? How about the battery....original one or has it been replaced?

Tranmission fluid, transfer case fluid, and front and rear diff fluid should be top of the list. Maybe including power steering fluid. Would also look at replacing coolant. Also, look at adding a transmission cooler.

For the offroading you have described, i would look at skid plates/protection. Doesn't have to be steel and could be alum skids. Would also suggest looking at protection where the lower rear control arms connect to the frame as well as beefier rear lower control arms.

·
Premium Member
4,902 Posts
Welcome from Oregon :)

·
Premium Member
1,265 Posts
Welcome to the forums! I bought my FJ in Arizona & had the best memories wheeling there! I'm also into rock climbing, so a bit jelly since you are out there! It's indoor gyms now. Anyways, congrats on the pickup, & I second what @SilvFx said...get those fluids changed pronto!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts