Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
If you tighten a progressive rate coil spring, you are preloading it more, giving it more spring rate. Ever notice that when you squeeze a spring together with your fingers, the tighter it gets towards total compression? Spring rates are based on the distance between stops in which it is assembled. Close that gap and you have more tension.
Yes, but we aren’t discussing progressive rate springs are we? I believe you answered a question that wasn’t asked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
4,082 Posts
This only makes sense if your FJ is purely an off-road toy. You guys suggesting rebuildable suspension setups for anyone who puts 15k+ miles a yr on their truck makes no sense. You have to rebuild those units and unless you’re doing it yourself....$$$$

I’m going to buy a GT3 because someday I’ll get on the racetrack and the standard 911 just won’t cut it...I’d be shocked if 10% of this forum ever out drives their suspension setup

America, where we put LS motors in Miata’s.

You go ahead and stick those Monroe’s on and I’ll stick with what flavors are rebuildable.
In my experience, and I’ll qualify that I have 5 different vehicles with aftermarket shocks on them, the only quaility shock that isn’t rebuildable is OME.

The original Bilstein‘s that came on the TTs are thought to be better than normal/stock CO but I have personally witnessed two sets of these folks “out drive their suspensions”.
The shaft is weak at the bottom where it hooks on to the LCA and bends/breaks. Multiple threads on this forum showing this.
Check the lower shaft that hooks to the LCA on any after market rebuildable CO and that shaft is twice a thick.

911? Naw, GT40, Merica

·
Registered
206 Posts
America, where we put LS motors in Miata’s.

You go ahead and stick those Monroe’s on and I’ll stick with what flavors are rebuildable.
In my experience, and I’ll qualify that I have 5 different vehicles with aftermarket shocks on them, the only quaility shock that isn’t rebuildable is OME.

The original Bilstein‘s that came on the TTs are thought to be better than normal/stock CO but I have personally witnessed two sets of these folks “out drive their suspensions”.
The shaft is weak at the bottom where it hooks on to the LCA and bends/breaks. Multiple threads on this forum showing this.
Check the lower shaft that hooks to the LCA on any after market rebuildable CO and that shaft is twice a thick.

911? Naw, GT40, Merica

Monroe’s? I threw a set of Bilsteins on while I decide if I’ll keep the FJ or not.

All of my other vehicles have fully adjustable suspension setups, all rebuildable, but I’d never suggest that is what someone else needs who’s just starting out, because it’s not.

And if you’ve got the ability to handle an LS powered Miata around the track, congrats, that’s a wily beast. But you can keep your American muscle, I’ll pass

21 - 25 of 25 Posts