Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 07 FJ and love it, with one small exception. When I hit about 40mph I start to get a whistle sound from the drivers side window. If I crack it it goes away. It only happens when the window is all the way up. Anyone else having this issue? Is it something with the design and all Fj's have it. It doesn't bother me as much as it does my wife. You would think someone is raking their nails down a chalkboard with the way she acts. Thanks for any comments!

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Check the rubber trim and channels for tears and such. I'd even check the door seals.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Have not seen it on the FJ but I did have a vehicle that did the exact same thing. It turned out to be a couple of bumps (fish eyes) in the paint, positioned where the top rubber seal along the window sat. It lifted the seal just enough to let air under causing the high pitch whistle caused by the rubber gasket vibrating at a high frequency. I wet sanded those bumps flat and it went away. Check the seal itself for cracks or tears and then the paint that the door seal seals against.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I looked and didn't see anything. I have to take it back to the dealership Thursday to have it detailed, gased up, and pickup the 2nd set of key so I am going to have them look at it. It's still under warranty so they should take care of it...hopefully :\

Thanks for the replies!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, so I finally got the car back to the dealership and they said I was missing a cover for the top that goes in the roof rack mounting holes. They told me when I was driving the wind blew over the holes much like blowing over the top of a bottle. When I roll the windows down the air has a place to go. That's why the whistle stops. They sent me the cap and I installed and the whistle got worse. I looked on top and realized that the strop that runs along the gap on the roof, from the first mounting hole to the windshield is loose. I think it is pushing the cap up and causing the whistle. Any suggestions on how to get the strip to stay down? I would take it back to the dealership but it a 2 hour drive. If there was a simpler solution I would prefer to spend a little money and do it myself.

Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts