Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Re: New quicksand 2014 fj-does this have a lift?

Looks like a Daystar levelling spacer based upon the top of the front coil. Plastic 1.5" spacer.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

thank you, so not lifted but just leveled. are the daystar a good choice?

Now to decide what changes are next :)

·
Registered
355 Posts

It's actually bad if you decide to off-road. It will cause the front shocks to over compress and fold/fail if you're not careful. A real suspension lift would alleviate this.

·
Premium Member
597 Posts

I agree; leveling puck.

as for things to put on the list:
sidewalls.

you want sidewalls so you can air down and get as much grip as possible.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I agree; leveling puck.

as for things to put on the list:
sidewalls.

you want sidewalls so you can air down and get as much grip as possible.

THANKS !

What suspension lift should i consider?

Also what size tires would be best? I do not off road a lot, but do some.

·
Premium Member
597 Posts

I had my heart set on OME but as I'm doing more research I'm starting to lean towards a Toytec lift. But both of them in the 2.5' - 3" flavour.
As for tires, I would go back to the diameter it came with: 17" and put on some 285's. I'll be corrected if I'm wrong but I think this will get you the best of both worlds. The ability to do some moderate off roading while retaining the dreaded "on the road" manners. In my opinion, the suspension, stock sized wheels and +1 tires will get you a great aggressive look AND be functional.

·
Registered
97 Posts

I had my heart set on OME but as I'm doing more research I'm starting to lean towards a Toytec lift. But both of them in the 2.5' - 3" flavour.
As for tires, I would go back to the diameter it came with: 17" and put on some 285's. I'll be corrected if I'm wrong but I think this will get you the best of both worlds. The ability to do some moderate off roading while retaining the dreaded "on the road" manners. In my opinion, the suspension, stock sized wheels and +1 tires will get you a great aggressive look AND be functional.
What are your reservations on the OME and which one? Nitrocharger or BP-51?

I have Nitrocargers with heavy coils on my 2011 and really am happy with it. I also work for a shop that regularly installs OME stuff on all manner of Toyotas with no issues.

·
Premium Member
597 Posts

My reservation is this: I loooooove the ride now. It's so plush on the street and on the dirt it's so nice. I'm not the kind of person that thinks the FJ has to act like corner hugging car when it's a brick on wheels. So the "smush" is fine with me. The girlfriend hates it because it's not bouncy/hard like her Jeep. I know heavier unsprung weight is going to change the ride characteristics and I have it in my head that to help control that added weight the springs need to be stiffer and the shocks have to be valved differently. All of that adds up to a stiffer ride, I think.

I'm wanting something to keep the tires in contact and clear some 285's without much fuss. Plus, the normal dirt toys like bumpers, winch, spare, gear and so on.... Pretty much how you've got yours actually.

·
Premium Member
728 Posts

First off, Welcome to the Blue Room!

+1 on what @TexasFJ said.

This is the same direction I'm taking my ride. I have the Toytec BOSS lift (details in the signature block below or in my "garage"), I want different 17" wheels than what I have, but stock wheels are more than adequate. The 285's are the next big "get". With this or a similar setup plus a BMC (Body Mount Chop), your tires could even go a little bigger. Possibly as big as 35", but then you'll start to loose a little power. A lot of people re-gear at that point to make up for it.

So, if 33" tires are big enough for you, a decent 3" lift should do the trick.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, i think i will go with the 3" lift. Where should i look for a "kit" or where do you recommend putting together everything i need. i think i could do it myself, of course i dont have a press for the springs, but can you not buy the springs already installed? can anyone link me to a good buy?

And thanks for everyones help.

BTW i am not a huge off roader, of course this may change things with a new addiction, but i do lots of hunting and sometimes get my self in predicaments where a good 4wd is necessary. But i also just like the stance of the 3" lift, and love the way it will look.. i am also considering going a little bigger tires,. and for now keeping the 20" wheels, after the lift. will i be able to squeeze 35" or maybe a size down from that under it to get a little more sidewall?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Lots of research on this site led me to purchase the Boss Performance kit. This fit my needs and budget. There are many good kits to choose from.

https://www.purefjcruiser.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13_374_1000&products_id=6845&zenid=i2o9b17qds7cgfsgpkhlrsqf63

With a BMC I was able to easily fit 34's (285/75/17), I needed front wheel spacers for the factory rims you may or may not need spacers depending on choice of UCA.
35's will require more work to reduce rubbing when you go off road, lots of info here.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
338 Posts
If you plan to stick with the 20" wheels - do some research. These are way big for the FJ (largest OEM wheel iirc were 17). You will likely struggle to find tires that will perform well off-road with that size wheel.

Good luck with the rig - gotta luv the quicksand color.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Update on the FJ

Been lurking around and looking at all the MANY mods to do... geesh it gets $$$

Tires are new, so unless i stumble across a swap, i may change out wheels and tires later down the road. i am not a BIG off road guy, but will use it to go hunting and maintain a hunting lease and maybe soon a trail ride. Wish nobody mentioned the wheels in my first post as i was content until it was pointed out :) ha ha

But did go with some flares, amber LED mirror lights, and added some "raptor" style grill lights for now. (was going to add to hood grill but went with the main grill instead, and think it turned out nice.

Sure loving it so far. I am noticing a slight vibration/wheel shake at 55-60 so think i need to take in for balancing.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Wow! That is a quicksand rig done right! I'm still looking for one and saw a few pop up for sale in this color. They have the color listed anywhere from "Brown" to "Desert". I have never seen this referred to as Quicksand and I like it a lot.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I went with bilstein 5100 all around with the front adjustables set at 1.75 that left me a better ride and on the back i used OME/arb rear lift springs model 885 not to heavy but gives a little more ability for adding some weight in the back. Some like the 884 better

Then i have 18 inch rims with 275/65/18 tires on 9 inch wide rims.
It make for a great compromise great on street or light off roading.
I also pull a 17 foot travel trailer with mine.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I went with bilstein 5100 all around with the front adjustables set at 1.75 that left me a better ride and on the back i used OME/arb rear lift springs model 885 not to heavy but gives a little more ability for adding some weight in the back. Some like the 884 better

Then i have 18 inch rims with 275/65/18 tires on 9 inch wide rims.
It make for a great compromise great on street or light off roading.
I also pull a 17 foot travel trailer with mine.
Nice.....love the color. Have fun with it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts