Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
I can't see spending that kind of money to keep the stock front differential.
Do you know anyone that's busted a front 8"? Just asking for a friend

Btw. I think this piece of kit is expensive. There are things to consider like a strengthened diff like helical gears or pneumatic diff, etc. Or replacement custom housing.. But you're on point, this is bolt on fun.

·
Premium Member
7,826 Posts
I can't see spending that kind of money to keep the stock front differential. Maybe a good option for people who have no fabrication skills.
Of course there are gonna be people who criticize what they think the price is gonna be and the type of people that might buy it. Do you know the price he is going to charge? Have you ever seen a late model IFS clamshell break?

·
Premium Member
7,826 Posts
Latest update from Marlin on the RCLT posted after KOH says March they will have pricing and specs, and May you might be able to get your hands on it. I'm not that hopeful but we'll see. Changes I see are now the options are +2.75 and 3.5" which I think is a good move. Especially to try and get the "prerunner" type sales. I think I may be going with the 3.5" to match my rear end but TBD. They were also able to increase the clearance some more and increase strength at the tie rod connection on the spindle.

For more info start reading from here:

Good video:

·
Premium Member
7,826 Posts
A big update was posted on T.W. I'm copying and pasting it below. Really hoping I get it ASAP since we are running Moab and Rubicon back to back in July, submitting an article for a magazine and wheeling with some SFA FJ's along the way. I have LT coilovers, cam braces, taco tabs, air bumps etc.... all ready to go in. The application I sent Marlin deserves some sort of medal!

Wheel travel numbers for the "smaller" +2.75" kit sounds like will end up at around 15".

Hello TW!

Thank you for the continued discussion and interest in RCLT HD. Sorry we have not responded to those who submitted our webform to get on the list for the first round of production. I am going to type up a response tonight and get it out to everyone tomorrow.
:thumbsup:

The response from the webform was very overwhelming; This product seriously needs to get to market as soon as humanly possible. The purpose of the Pre-Production webform was to find about two dozen highly motivated buyers to start with and what we got were more than 100 that Friday night, and doubled by Monday morning. This was incredibly important because since we put the product page up, we had gotten wayy, wayyyy too many people clicking the "Notify when in stock" button -- a number in the multiple thousands -- many of whom we assume are such people as (1) don't even own a Toyota and are just curious, (2) don't own a compatible year vehicle, (3) already have a SAS rig, (4) are just curious what the retail price will be, etc. The Pre-Production webform cut the website Notification number down to around 1/10th its size which is a far more accurate representation to work from.

Iconic_ said:
The skinny from an employee at Marlin is, they now plan to email those interested once the kit is released. No applicants have been "selected" and may never be. Sounds like not so much of a pre-production run thing anymore but we'll see.
Nevertheless we have more people directly interested then we'd be able to produce by the end of this year so the next step is to announce the price and then begin collecting deposits, both of which will reduce the count further. My plan after exhibiting at the Fourwheeler Adventure Expo two weekends ago was to send a second email out to those couple hundred webform people with this info but then we got inundated with event planning disasters as events and hotels were canceling/shutting down (first Rubicon Trail Foundation's BT&B, then Cruise Moab, then Lone Star Round-Up, then Toyota Jamboree), and since last Wednesday I've been busy rallying with other business owners (in and out of state) strategizing and helping each other through this uncertain COVID-19 incident.

Everyone's panic has really created a freak'n huge mess in our industry. Never mind our normal day-to-day products, but for RCLT HD we've been forced to switch suppliers ("unessential" businesses closed) and having to write new quotes and approve new samples for purchase orders and it's really created one freak'n huge unexpected headache. What the hell everyone, STOP PANIC BUYING TOILET PAPER and relax! Man alive.

So our current plan is to ride this COVID-19 epidemic out at least another week to see where the hell the economy is going before we invest literally over $100,000 in this first RCLT HD production run. In the meantime we are continuing forward with infrastructure ramping of new shelving, warehouse rearranging, new welding stations, and air ducting and vent fans for fume ventilation. The amount of money and time already invested in RCLT has very negatively affected other areas of our business (of course worth it overall as this enormous risk will pay off), but right now the health and livelihood of my employees and making sure they will have a job at the end of all this overreacting and under prepared coronavirus outbreak is my number one priority.

fr0stbytten said:
Is there anything official on travel #s?
Dalandser said:
...Therefore their projected travel numbers for the 2.75" kit which is also stated in the first post:

"horizontal ball joints will enable travel very close to the best 4WD +3.5 LT kits without the negatives of being too wide for technical trails!"

which is not really 16" unless you're talking DD, but for TC race kits, is right around 14.5-15". More math would put the 3.5 Marlin kit at a little over 15.5-16....
Dalandser is spot on. In CAD, the travel at axle center of the wheel mount face is 14.505" using my 7.87" travel Radflo shocks. In real life I max out the available shock stroke and still have some downtravel to gain. For this reason I've been comfortably telling people "around 15-inches". I'm working on two new additional products that will get this number over the 15 in mark. I'm working on yet another new product that integrates air bumps, which is why I haven't installed mine yet, which I hope to get finished in April. At that time I'll pull off my coils/depressurize shocks, and then I'll get an exact measurement.

ovrlndkull said:
Big Mike said in the video that the +2.75 kit achieves more travel than a traditional +3.5 kit. Take that for what it's worth. But I guess no one will really know until these hit the streets and get some real world information out there.
ovrlndkull is absoultely correct. More kits installed will provide better estimations. The reason for comparing our +2.75" kit against traditional +3.50" kits, is that I'm comparing against kits re-using the factory knuckle (ie. "traditional"), which is limited in travel due to it's vertical ball joint design. Using horizontal ball joints on a replacement knuckle like RCLT HD means that limitation is gone, and based on TC's advertised +3.50" travel specification of 13", our +2.75" RCLT HD is already surpassing that.

3Six said:
Looking at 35x12.5/17r Wildpeaks (Currently on 285/75/16r

1) Cab Mount Relocation
Hello 3Six
:wave:
You won't need to relocate your cab mounts for 35s. You won't even need to clearance them. You won't even need to clean those mud droplets you have on your mounts right now.

WormSquirts said:
Not to mention Marlin's marketing saying they are the "world's first!" Every other sentence is annoying and a huge turn off for me.
Thank you for the feedback. I have toned it down a lot since last fall.

BigMike said:
We will be making some changes to the way we sell the kit. Hoping to have pricing and all details updated to our site in March.
Still hopeful to get pricing info up by month's end. It will be less than the numbers I've seen floating around.
:cool:

Regards,
BigMike

·
Premium Member
7,826 Posts
The amount of people more than likely willing to purchase this thing went almost to zero I would think considering everything in the news and what's possibly happening in the near future with the world trashing its economy. They're gonna have a hard time selling kits compared to if they had released it even 3 months ago. Luckily I'm still ready!!! Even if I knew Marlin would close its doors a day after I received the kit I would still purchase it. Anything can be rebuilt.

I'll keep updating here if/when anything happens.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts