Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to spec some rear springs for my FJ. I plan on following up with the company I purchased this kit through and talking with King again, but I'm curious if anyone else has already plowed this ground. Here's my situation:

I installed the King Suspension kit, which increased the rear suspension articulation up to 13" or so based on measurements provided by TCao (thanks for the write up BTW.) Without limiting straps, the rear springs would come unseated when I lowered the diff to full extension of the shocks. I recognized that this would be an issue if I were really getting after it in the desert, or seeing some crazy articulation in the hills. I'd rather have the travel than to limit with straps. So I ordered rear lift springs made by Donahoe racing. They raised the rear of the FJ by two inches.I cranked up the front shocks as much as I cared to considering the ride, but still had
rake to the front of 1.75".

The other aftermarket springs for the rear are going to be too stiff and tall for my application, so I'm looking at getting a custom set made from CSS. My dilemma is specifying a spring rate and height. I figure CSS will help with that, but I'd like to have an idea before ordering. If worse comes to worse, I'll weigh the corners and calculate out what I want.

Goal: I'd like to have a 2"-2.5" longer spring (free standing height) that compresses to a 1" lift at ride height and maintains factory spring rate at that compressed height. Again, I can do the math If I need to, but I'm wondering if anyone has done something like this with the FJ.

Thanks,
Derek

·
Premium Member
6,865 Posts
TCao had CSS make his springs. I believe they are 1"-1.25" of lift and just a tad stiffer then stock. The driver side is even a bit firmer to level out the lean caused by the gas tank. I will see if I can find his specs on them if not PM him to find out for sure.

·
Premium Member
6,865 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Jeshua, I had been looking over TCao's posts, but I was thinking that I wanted a longer, somewhat lighter spring constant. In fact my purchasing the King kit was in no small way due to his write ups (THANKS!).

I think I'm going to have to break out the scales and calculate out the options.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did you find the springs you were looking for?
Yes and No.... I had the donhoes on the rear for a while, but though it was a little stiff when I wasn't carrying weight in the back. So I switched back to the factory rear springs and immediately missed everything about the donahoes. There was way more body roll and way less departure angle. So I swapped the donahoe coils BACK in and adjusted the fronts up to ~match. The ride is stiffer, but WAY more controlled. I think it's a good trade off. I could have gotten the factory rates on a longer spring, but still would have quite a bit of body roll on the street.

End on the day, I really prefer the Donahoe/Icon rear springs. Oh, and I REALLY like the Kings shocks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts