Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SAW lift, toyoutfitters LCA, total chaos UCA. i was going to get the icon lift but then metal tech got there SAW shipment in, so SAW's i got

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
now the question is to run sway bar's or not

·
Wanderlust
4,158 Posts
SAW lift, toyoutfitters LCA, total chaos UCA. i was going to get the icon lift but then metal tech got there SAW shipment in, so SAW's i got

Very nice. I hope that's your kid's hand reaching for the LCA. :lol:

That's why I'm switching actually. You definitely won't need your front Swaybar with those 700lb coils in the SAW's.
If I'm not mistaken, the Icon coilovers come with 650 lb/inch springs so you're not gaining much by switching to the SAWs. I would remove the front sway bar and see if you if you like the handling before getting new coilovers. You can add a little spring rate to the coilovers by increasing the nitrogen pressure too. Of course, it's always more fun to get new stuff. :cheers:

·
Registered
604 Posts
I just installed the SAW kit , and removed the sway bar . I have not noticed any difference in the way the FJ handles .
There is a big difference from a 650# spring to a 700# spring .
My adjustment for 3" lift on the passenger was 3/8" , driver was close to 1/4" with stock bumper .

I've seen icons cranked way more than that to get 3" lift . I'm not saying icon are bad coilovers , but there is a difference .

·
Wanderlust
4,158 Posts
I'd agree that there's a noticeable difference between the OEM spring rate of 530 and the 700 lb/inch springs (almost a 1/3 stiffer). With the stock bumper and no winch, the 700 lb/inch rate is probably too stiff IMHO to allow appreciable up wheel travel which could be why you haven't noticed any difference with the front sway bar removed. Icon coilovers use custom wound springs with 13" free length versus 14" for other aftermarket designs. That's why the spring upper seats sit lower on the Icon shock bodies.
Sorry for the hijack.

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, the Icon coilovers come with 650 lb/inch springs so you're not gaining much by switching to the SAWs. I would remove the front sway bar and see if you if you like the handling before getting new coilovers. You can add a little spring rate to the coilovers by increasing the nitrogen pressure too. Of course, it's always more fun to get new stuff. :cheers:
Haha I'm right there with you. I'll probably try dropping the sway bar first, but I have a lot of weight up front (Demello Triple Hoop and winch). I do a lot of city driving so I still need to be able to make fairly quick turns and enter the freeway at 70.

I, also, am sorry for the hijack :cheers:

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
installed

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I like that you removed the fender flares, very sharp. How difficult were they to remove and clean up to make it look that nice? Any chance of getting a bigger picture? I think w/out the flares it looks like the rear is lifted more than 2"

·
Premium Member
17,639 Posts
^^ you do realize he's missing a solid chunk of plastic right?

To make it look clean you'll have to cut that piece off from your original flare and put it back on. Not difficult, but just want to make sure you realize what all comes off when you remove the flare.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ya i am missing the plastic trim pice, but thats because beer was involved during removal.:cheers: i did save the other side but ended up taking it off and then i sprayed that area with bed liner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts