Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received images of a new slider from MetalTech which by design should be small child freindly. As Mark Hawley brought to my attention, there
is a good possibilty of little feet getting caught between the rails on conventional sliders thus prompting him to create this design. I am in the market for sliders and would be looking forward to forum members responses.

Attachments

·
NWFJCC Moderator
2,801 Posts
I looked at Marks sliders in Ouray. They are very well built and would be great protection for your rig and child. My sliders scare me every time my son climbs into the rig. He has fallen through them before. Thats why my plan is to diamond plat the top of mine. I wish the Metal Tech sliders were out when I bought mine.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I like the idea. Some closer photos would be beneficial. I'm looking for a replacement to my factory ones and these might fit the bill. Nice job.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I would like to see some close up photos and would like to know if they stick out far enough to step on for accessing the roof and protecting my doors from dings.

Any info on $$ and availability?

·
Registered
338 Posts
hopefully i'll be makeing myself a pair soon and i'll post how well they come out if so

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am in the market for some new sliders as well. Is there really an issue with people falling through sliders that stick out too far? Because I want to assist my mom getting into my rig, not get her injured.

Those sliders look nice though...

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I am in the market for some new sliders as well. Is there really an issue with people falling through sliders that stick out too far? Because I want to assist my mom getting into my rig, not get her injured.

Those sliders look nice though...
I wish I could buy them now.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
I talked with Mark about his sliders in Ouray and I believe they are still in pre-production (their website indicates as much). The top plate sticks out about 4 inches to provide a step. It is boxed on the ends and on the bottom edge, but not the inside facing the frame rails. He wanted to be able to powdercoat the inside linings of the steel box, so that is why it is not completely boxed in. Also, he said they are considering the placement of rocklights inside them and the open side would be much easier to wire up. He had no clear number for the price, but guess-timated they would be around $500-600, since there is a lot of cutting and welding to be done on this style of slider.

I really liked what I saw on his rig at the Summit and wish I had better pics, but alas all I have is Mark's mug from afar.

·
Registered
804 Posts
**** the sliders bring on the front bumper..!!

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I talked with Mark about his sliders in Ouray and I believe they are still in pre-production (their website indicates as much). The top plate sticks out about 4 inches to provide a step. It is boxed on the ends and on the bottom edge, but not the inside facing the frame rails. He wanted to be able to powdercoat the inside linings of the steel box, so that is why it is not completely boxed in. Also, he said they are considering the placement of rocklights inside them and the open side would be much easier to wire up. He had no clear number for the price, but guess-timated they would be around $500-600, since there is a lot of cutting and welding to be done on this style of slider.

I really liked what I saw on his rig at the Summit and wish I had better pics, but alas all I have is Mark's mug from afar.
The sliders are still in pre-production at the moment. They are designed as a step slider. Originally we were going to make the same slider that we make for the 80 series but quickly realized that we could not put a rub rail onto the main channel because of door clearances. So we made it into a simple step slider instead.

The main channel is the same as our 80 series slider. Which is a cnc bent and formed main channel bent in 5 different places. On the inside of the channel we have plates welded onto the back side where the tubing is welded onto. This design is extremely stout as our 80 series Land Cruiser has taken a serious beating with them along with testing from our customers. We have one photo where a customer has dented the tubing he landed so hard on a rock and still nothing has given way.

As for rock lights we will be providing tabs to mount rock lights. Probably look for 2 - 3 lights per side. With the added benefit of an open channel design you can tuck your wiring inside the channel w/o having a billion zip ties or a chance of having the wires crushed by rock, trees, whatever.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Nice lookin rails...but is that a Metal Tech bumper that thing looks pretty stout, custom job prob?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the timeline on the sliders, i will definately place an order. Are there plans for a textured coating on the top of your sliders to prevent slipping as it rains a lot here in the Pacific Northwest.

Cheers mate

·
Registered
636 Posts
Looks really nice... Will the whole slider be powder coated including the top peice?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Here is a closer look for Ouray. I want them to replace my ARB sliders.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Contact Mark at Metal-tech, he'll for sure be able to help you out. They are in the sponsor section of the forum.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts