Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
new stereo...updated...

So I bought a new pioneer head unit but haven't installed it yet. Later this week. I want to replace the door speakers eventually with 6.5" Infinity Kappa separates and put the tweeter in the dash spot. What should I do for rear speakers as I only have the crappy headliner ones. Should I just put some 4" speakers in the rear pillars or bite the bullet and put another set of 6.5" in the backseat area? Also, what kind and model amp can you guys recommend at a decent price to run those Kappa's properly. They say 90 watts rms.

Thanks,

Joe

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
if you want an amp just for the fronts, look into the zapco i-force i-2100. its 125x2 and thats rms. it is a good amp for working on a budget that wont let you down with a msrp of only 389.99. you should be able to get it from an authorized dealer cheaper than that. quite a bit cheaper probably.

if you want a four channel, the i-4100 is 100x4 and goes for about 500.00 msrp, again will probably be much cheaper from a dealer. the i-450 is 75x4 and has a msrp of roughly 400.00.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have a pionner head unit as well with infinity kappa 6.5 conponents and tweeters i custom installed in my doors.(pics in my gallery) they really are a great match. i'm powering them with a 200 watt rockford fosgate amp under the seat running @ 2 ohms giving 100 watts rms to each speaker as they are 2 ohms as well. the quality is just amazing, You'll love it.
For back speakers my vote goes to custom install 5 1/4 or 6.5's in the back seat. i use to have the far back speakers running but i was getting an annoying echo so i pulled them and i'm about to put 5 1/4 infinities in the back seat area.

Just my 2 sense. Good luck with your stereo

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
my motto has always been you get what ya pay for! there is lots of good stuff out there if you dont want to go full out swap everything than some back 6x5 should do the trick for you just fine. it all depends on what kind of sound quality you are looking for? I prefer to make the ground tremble myself

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
So I installed the Pioneer HU and to be honest it does make quite a bit of difference even with the stock speakers. They are by no means great but at least you are getting some power to them with the new HU. The install went very smooth and for a first time installer like myself, it was pretty painless. Even soldering all the wires for the harness. The HU is the 8000BT and may not be the best unit for some of you guys but it has alot of nice features that came with it like the bluetooth built in, ipod adapter and it is a double din that I was looking for. Overall I am happy with it so far.

I also just bought a pair of 6.5" Infinity Kappas separates for the fronts and a pair of 4" Kappas for the rear pillar. I am installing these this weekend. So I am excited about this upgrade. I am still in the market for an amp to power the front set. One question, would you recommend putting the tweeters in the stock dash location or would it be better to flush mount them on the doors?

Thinking of the Alpine PLT-5 for a subwoofer. I'm not looking for any kind of crazy bass but just enough to complete the system. Any thoughts on this too would be appreciated. I am trying to stick to some budget, so I saw this from Crutchfield for $299 and seemed like it has gotten good reviews for what it is.

Thanks again for all the input!

Joe

·
Registered
104 Posts
when i installed my kappa's i used some 2 way 3m tape to see if i like how it sounds in the doors. i tried the tweeters in the dash as well they sounded like they were out of faze. i loved the sound stage i got in the doors so i put them there. I have yet to regret it

[/IMG]

·
Registered
104 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts