Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried searching the Forums and online for this, could not find anything, so here goes: Just installed new Nitto Terra Grappler tires LT265/70/17, the shop did all the alignment and balancing, been driving around two days now and my FJ is rattling/vibrating, almost sounds like there's something loose. Is this just "New Tire" syndrome or something? Anyone have similar issues with new tires or heaven forbid could this be a bad balancing job?

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Never heard of "New Tire Syndrome". My guess is balance or loose lug nuts. When was the last time you had an alignment?

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
X2..... Something is amiss on a wheel or two. Torque your lugs and maybe swing by the shop who did your tires and have them rebalance. I had a shop knock off a couple of the sticky oem wheel weights during reinstallation. That gave me a wicked vibration.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info, checked everything and nothing is loose, took a couple of 30min drives on the freeway and I did hear and feel things vibrating on my rig. I'll be at the shop tomorrow morning to let them know that the wheel balance seems off, luckily my tires came with free balance and other stuff.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
If all the lugs are tight, sounds like an out of balance wheel or 4. Normally they don't touch anything else but the lugs, so if those are all tight, that would leave it to just the balancing.

·
Registered
535 Posts
how old is the FJC?
Maybe a ball joint going or steering rack going bad? If you jack the front up of the FJ try wiggling the tires to see if you feel any wobbling.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Does it do it at all speeds, or just some?

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
Thanks for the info, checked everything and nothing is loose, took a couple of 30min drives on the freeway and I did hear and feel things vibrating on my rig. I'll be at the shop tomorrow morning to let them know that the wheel balance seems off, luckily my tires came with free balance and other stuff.
When you go I would suggest NOT telling them what you think it is. With people's lazy mentalities they'll only look at the "wheel balance", say there's no issue, and they'll send you on your way. Tell them you have a horrible vibration and that you don't know what it is so they cover all the bases to take care of the problem. I kmow how people are these days :rolleyes:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Problem solved! I was supposed to change my spark plugs and accidentally injured my hand, its ok, but can't do anything with it for a week. I go to the dealer to change the plugs and coolant. When I got it back I saw a sheet that said they reduced tire pressure from 60psi, to 34psi on all my tires. I was like wow, the tire shop put 60psi? I know the max psi for a 3k lb load is 80psi, but as far as i knew u always went by what the car manufacturer recommends. So I've been driving around at 34 from 60 and there is no more rattle or vibration. Guess the high tire pressure gave it a real rough ride. So I guess, you should always check tire pressure yourself when someone services your tires. Glad there was no balance problem and all is well. Thanks again to everyone that gave advice and opinions.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts