Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two years and 36,000 miles later, I was finally able to wear the nubs down enough on the stock duelers to justify buying the new shoes. Thanks to some forum members information I was able to find 5 OEM steelies (actually 7 because two of the first five were badly bent and had to be reordered) from Les Schwab Tire for $49 each. Not bad. Then I went to my buddy at Commercial Tire and he hooked me up with some BFG A/T KO 285/70/17's with white letters OUT. Finally got them mounted and balanced and on the cruiser tonight. I think this is how they should have come from the factory. It looks great, rides great, and I am in LOVE. I was VERY close to going with the KM2's, but after they had two of them mounted I chickened out and had them switch them for these. I could not see myself spending the dough to replace the tires at the 30,000 mile mark (which for me is less than two years), so I stuck to something that is well documented to get over the 40K mark. That should get me through three years (hopefully). I don't know if they rub yet, because it is straight road and asphalt between my place and Commercial Tire. I will take it out this weekend and test them out.
I will be lifting in a few months but I hope to be able to run this configuration until late fall. I plan on the OME 885's and 895's with the nitro struts in the front.

GPWDFJ

·
Registered
221 Posts
looks sweet!! :rocker: CongratS! :bigthumb:

·
Registered
851 Posts
Great tire choice! I have always been a BFG fan, and I tried to wait it out until my stock tires wore down, but I went for it and got the BFG's. I only got $300 out of my stocks, but I haven't had any regrets. BFG's RULE!:rocker:

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
The white out on the black FJ looks great.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
They look just like the meats I have. I whined so much about the crappy Dunlopers on mine my wifey said get them just to shut me up. It was a safety issue for me.:lol: I like the look with the black steelies and the white out. I thought about the white out on the SF but went with the black out instead.:rocker:

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Congrats:cheers:, they look great!!!:rocker:

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone for your comments. I look forward to putting them to the test this fall (hunting season).

I plan on getting some black lug nuts and I will likely order some center caps.

My wife promised me never to ride in the cruiser again if I got "ugly black" wheels. Now that I have them on, she says "Oh...they don't look as bad as I thought they would..."

If I am not mistaken I think that means, okay you were right...I'm sorry. Not that I was worried that she wouldn't ride with me, cause she is 5 months preganant and I'm sure she doesn't want to walk!:lol:

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
Good choice! -:bigthumb:

-

·
FJ Expeditions R Us
4,084 Posts
Lookin' good!!!

I also just bought 5 steelies and I'm going with the BFG 285 KM2's. I have 265 KO's now and love them for general road and moderate off-road driving!

cheers,

dale

·
Premium Member
17,152 Posts
Looks nice!

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The rub update. So far it has not rubbed at all. I took it up one of the worst trails that I wheel this weekend and the tires were perfect, I didn't hear it rub at all and and I was going after it too. Granted, I didn't stuff the tires at full articulation, but I will probably never do that with the trails and areas that I run, so for my purposes, no rub makes me happy!:clap:

·
Emeritus Moderator
6,484 Posts
The BFG AT KO are a great tire. Nice looking FJ :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts