Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my FJ and have started adding accessories that I like. Down the road I'd love to get my amateur radio license but I think I'll start with a CB in my truck! I had a Cobra home CB when I was a kid and loved it!

I'm looking at picking up a Midland 1001LWX or 75-82 with the PureFJCruiser complete install kit with the Bandi Mount. I have some questions that hopefully you can call help me with.

1. If you were picking between those two radios, which one would you purchase? Is there a cigarette lighter attachment for the 1001LWX?

2. The PureFJ Kit comes with a 3ft Firefly antenna. Is that sufficient or should I opt for the 4ft? Is there a better antenna I should look at?

3. How is everyone running the coaxial cable through your truck? Pictures are appreciated!

Thanks everyone!

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
I went with the Cobra 18 WXSTII for the CB. I coupled that with a Clarion CZ309 receiver so I could mount the radio into the dash. Both mounted in the double DIN mount that I got from Crutchfields.

My antenna is a Wilson 4’ Flex. I put it on a Bandi mount (I was going to build one myself but because I bought the CB, antenna, parts and pieces from Walcott, I had enough for free shipping.).

I didn’t put a spring on it because the Flex antenna does just that, flex…quite a bit. I wanted to be able to bend the antenna over and loop it under the roof rack for pulling into my garage. I had a few people tell me it wouldn’t work and that I’d need a spring. It works.

I routed the antenna cable through the door and up under all the plastic on the side. The only thing I had to remove was the sill strip which popped right out. I taped a length of wire to a coat hanger then taped the wire to the antenna cable and just snaked it all through. I had to split the rubber grommet that I bought because it wouldn't fit over the end of the antenna coax. I bought the Fire Ring coax that had the plug attached at the other end already. I'm going to get some black silicone sealer and just put a little on the grommet and the cable to waterproof it where it meets the door.
I ground off the paint on the Bandi mount on the underside of the antenna lug hole and also where the bolt meets the mount. To keep the area from rusting and to help with the connection I used some Ox-gard anti-oxidant on it. It's really made for aluminum wiring but I figured it would work. I also used a little dielectric grease on the threads of the antenna to help keep that from rusting.

Full thread here: http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/stereo-electronics-electrical/81878-installed-new-cb-stereo-today.html

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Silly question here...

Do Ham radios use coaxial cable for their antennas as well? I'm wondering if after I get my amateur license and want to switch to one of those radios if I could just use the same wire I ran and just change the antenna.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Quite honestly, I would ask yourself based on how much you intend to use it. You are already looking at amateur radio and asked about a cigarette lighter plug, so I would suggest the Midland 75-822. No permanent install required. It is probably the most popular radio we have sold in the last five years.

To answer you question about antennas, A 4ft Firefly is ideally the best for the $$ that we have found. That or the Wilson Flex. (Both about the same price) With either you do not need a spring. I do suggest you get a quick disconnect.

Install is really easy going with the Wilson. And, if you are going to add a ham radio later on, go get some RG-58 coax, OR select the radio antenna now and run it all at once while you have the back door trim off. As they say... do it right, do it once.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quite honestly, I would ask yourself based on how much you intend to use it. You are already looking at amateur radio and asked about a cigarette lighter plug, so I would suggest the Midland 75-822. No permanent install required. It is probably the most popular radio we have sold in the last five years.

To answer you question about antennas, A 4ft Firefly is ideally the best for the $$ that we have found. That or the Wilson Flex. (Both about the same price) With either you do not need a spring. I do suggest you get a quick disconnect.

Install is really easy going with the Wilson. And, if you are going to add a ham radio later on, go get some RG-58 coax, OR select the radio antenna now and run it all at once while you have the back door trim off. As they say... do it right, do it once.

I'm leaning towards the 75-822 to be honest. If I'm reading your post correctly, I can use a ham antenna for CB until I get my license?

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
I'm leaning towards the 75-822 to be honest. If I'm reading your post correctly, I can use a ham antenna for CB until I get my license?
Not exactly. The coax would be the same for the most part, except for the antenna termination. I was saying, that if you keep CB, you will have two antennas on the back, so go ahead and plan ahead and run that antenna coax as well. :rocker:

·
Registered
308 Posts
Not exactly. The coax would be the same for the most part, except for the antenna termination. I was saying, that if you keep CB, you will have two antennas on the back, so go ahead and plan ahead and run that antenna coax as well. :rocker:
I was probably going to go this route, but where do you have your antennas mounted Nick? I was thinking Bandi mount for CB and door clip mount for the HAM.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts