Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will be purchasing first FJ Monday. 08-46,000 miles. Essentially untouched. I've looked at for some time, for purpose of second "family" vehicle, and an option when work F350 is in the shop, which is a lot.

As part of the deal, dealer is installing a 3" Pro Comp lift. Suits the purpose if the vehicles use, I think, and supposedly doesn't affect Toyota Certification.

Has Cooper's mounted on stock 17"'s, which I'd like to swap at time of purchase, but for American Star with BFG's, they charge $3,299, and gave only offered $500 in trade for factory wheels with new Cooper's.

Obviously in a time crunch for replies, but my initial questions to y'all is:

Is the 3" Pro Comp lift suitable for everyday use, with the occasional trip through the brush and dunes?

If so, is it better to stay with the stock wheel size? Go up a size?

Like the American Star Teflon's (forgot model) and like BFG's, but is there a better combination for the above questioned lift?

At this point any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Welcome to the club. :cheers:

To answer your questions:

1. You will be fine with a 3" lift for what you have listed and then some.

2. With a 3" lift you can go to 285's or 295's without a problem. Looks better to me with the bigger tires.

3. Not sure about a "better" combination. I am sure you will get many, many different answers to this question. Everyone has their own favorites. I have the BFG MT KM's and they are a bit noisy. The KM 2's are supposed to be quieter.

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Hello and welcome! I'm not familar with the Pro Comp lift, but from what I know in general it is a good product. 3" should allow for 285s and not prohibt regular driving.

·
Premium Member
16,938 Posts
Welcome aboard!

·
Premium Member
2,753 Posts
$3299 for tires and wheels?

Are you talking about American Racing Rockstars? (American Star didn't register with me or google)

If you are, it seems like the rims can be had for ~$200.00 each ($800 for 4, $1000 for 5)

Discount tire has the BFG KM2's at ~$250 each (you can get a forum member discount too) 5 tires = $1250.

$2,250+ ~$100 to mount and balance + shipping? Still seems like you can get your tires set up cheaper if you do it yourself. plus you can surely liquidate your coopers and factory rims for a bit more than $500.00. I don't know exactly what you need but if you are willing to do a bit of the work yourself you can save a bit of cash.

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It was actually the American Racing Mojave's with BFG All-Terrain's they quoted, and yes you are right, I can get all for about 1k less, from vendor you specified, even with the extra wheel.

Considering the BFG Mud Terrain's suggested in earlier post (it's all in the cart, ready to go) 285/70/17 on the 17" Mojave's. Previous reply stated these will work with 3" lift dealer is installing (only for warranty issues), without clearance issues. Hoping it still rides decent.

Pouring through the endless posts for shock upgrades based on 3" lift.

Thanks to all for the reply's. Hope to pick up tomorrow evening, depending on lift install.

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
Hello & Welcome!

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Welcome aboard!

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would've posted pics already, but my iPhone Forum-ability skills are lacking.

Slight delay on delivery, but hope it at least hits the rack for the dealer installed lift kit, tomorrow. They were originally going to swap wheels and tires, at "cost", but their cost seems to be about 40% higher than retailers or etailers. My only concern with ordering online were the tire pressure monitors. Haven't found the discussion on that yet.

I had decided on wheels and tires, and kinda glad for delay, as i think i changed my mind. I think. Was going to go back with 17" rims, 285/70/17 BFG's, but am pouring into the other posts to see if 295's require any modifications, other than a lift. I fully intend on keeping vehicle until the world ends, so there will be plenty on time in the future to cut, tweak, and weld as other guys have claimed necessary, in the future. In the meantime, more is more, right?

If anyone casually passes this with knowledge of 295/70/17 and 3" lift compatibility please advise. I like pouring through the forums, but always open to direct suggestions. It's a lot of money to not take advice on, and it seems like I'm out of time.

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
FJ sitting in driveway, minus the lift and tires. Scheduled for Wednesday. Have a hard time believing that there isn't a wheel supplier in the country with 5 17" AR Black Mojave's, or any AR Matte black wheel that doesn't have some tinge if "bling", in the entire US, but it's the reality. Hate to put tires on stock wheels for two months while waiting for back ordered wheels, but dealer won't wait for two months to install, at least not for the negotiated terms. Oh well. Still an FJ in driveway. (yes the wife's car still gets the garage)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts