Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, i currently drive an 01 24 valve dodge cummins i love the truck and have some stuff done to it and it moves damn good, the only problem i think it was abused before i bought it and **** is constalty breaking, going out or needing fixed, i recently have made the descision to part ways,

I am considering buy an FJ I have not done a lot of research on them yet but what i have seen i like, just wanting to know how they drive, major problems, fuel milage and how far you guys take them off road(not that im going to just curious) any advice would be great

Thanks!:bigthumb:

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Hello. Welcome aboard.

For me, my fj drives great. Before my fj i had a 2003 Chevy 1500HD 6.0 4x4 crew cab, and before that was a 2000 Nissan Xterra 3.3 4x4 5spd. Before that were cheaper crappier cars. I can say without a doubt the FJ is the nicest vehicle I've owned. When my tires were stock she drove nice and smooth. She still drives relatively smooth, but I do have mud tires on her now, so there is a nobby feel while driving.

Biggest problem off the top of my head are bulges/tears in the inner fender. Some have this issue, some don't, I don't. There can be a throw out bearing issue on the 6spdMT's.

Now that I have a lift, bumper, tires, my MPG's sucks. I get about 13 in the city and about 17 on the highway. Not horrible, but considering it's only a 4.0 not great. But I could revert back to stock and I'd get about 17 city and about 20 highway.

I'm not a heavy offroader. Stock the FJ is extremely capable (make sure you get one with at least the locking rear differential). There are a number of stories on here where people will tell you about their friend's stock FJ keeping up with them and their modified FJ. For the most part the FJ will go anywhere you want it to. Of course the more money you put into it, the further it'll go, and easier it will be.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Welcome. Now go drive one. Ask the salesperson lots of questions and have her/him explain all its features. That should give you some impressions, both positive and otherwise. Then come back and ask questions based on your initial experience.

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
Agreed on all counts above. You're on the right track by talking to owners, but those of here are slightly biased. :lol:

The dealership is for test drives and getting all the specs, but talk to owners on the street, too. Lots of different opinions, likes, dislikes. I bought an '08 Auto 4x4 with 12k miles on it last August and I love it.

In reference to Capt Sensible's comments above on mileage... My FJ is still stock and my mileage is not bad for a part-time 4WD. I get 19mpg after a week of street/highway/commuter traffic and not really thinking about how I'm driving. If I were to take it easy when pulling away from a stop and use my cruise control more to keep my highway speeds just below 70mph I could probably squeeze another 1-1.5mpg out of it. I plan to replace the OE tires with something more capable this year, but I am very aware of the downward spiral in mileage once the modifications start to happen. I don't plan to add a lot of weight or drag because this is my daily driver.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Welcome and enjoy the madness.
I have a 07 auto with 69,000 miles of trouble free driving. I love this thing. I too have a lift and mud tires and I get 18 mpg on the highway and about 15 around town. I am in sales and drive a lot and it handles and drives fantastic in my opinion. My other cars in the garage are a 97 tj, 03 Yukon and a 2000 328i (damn I have old cars). As far as driving goes I enjoy the BMW and the FJ the most. Off road my FJ will go anywhere my lifted and locked TJ will go and be significantly more comfortable and reliable. The down side to me is it take some getting used to as far as visibility goes out the back and sides and you have to drive it for a while before you know how to look for lane changes. I also have a tournament ski boat that I will pull with my FJ and it pulls just fine but then the mileage really goes south if you want to maintain a speed of 70 mph. I would go test drive and see if it fits what you are looking for.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Hello and welcome! I love my FJ, still have my 95 Powerstroke and drive a 09 Duramax for work. MPG won't hurt as diesel costs so much more now. You'll learn to fill up more often. When I got my FJ I was always sideways when I parked it. I was still trying to compensate for the size of my trucks.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hello and welcome! I love my FJ, still have my 95 Powerstroke and drive a 09 Duramax for work. MPG won't hurt as diesel costs so much more now. You'll learn to fill up more often. When I got my FJ I was always sideways when I parked it. I was still trying to compensate for the size of my trucks.

snafu58,

I have a 2002 Dodge Cummins, and a 2007 Chevy Duramax....thinking about maybe selling my Duramax....using equity in it to clear up some debt from a divorce a couple years ago, and getting a 2011 Quicksand FJ. The Duramax is dang nice(LTZ), but I owe some on it and had to pay off my daughters Honda civic last month which put me back up to owing $25,000 still. Figured I might sell and start over and have a new rig vs. a 7-8 year old truck....and then there's talk of FJ being discontinued next year and don't want to miss out.....trying to figure if that would be a good decision....and yes, diesel fuel is more expensive....just have to fill up more often with FJ.....your thoughts ?

Rhoppe

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
If your used to getting 8 to 12 mpg driving trucks then the FJ won't kill your budget...I have a pwr stroke F-250 for work and 34 gls to top off is big $$$. The Fj should get you around 16mpg without to many mods...and what you get is a real nice trail rated truck right out of the box...Read on...thousands of threads describing many opinions that are mostly good.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Best advice listed above. Go drive one. I bought an 07 in 2006 new. Best vehicle I've ever had, and I've had a bunch. I gave it to my son about a year ago, who is in college, so that he could have a more reliable vehicle. I went and test drove some others and nothing compared. I bought a 2010 FJ. Just a very unique, reliable, and multi-purpose vehicle. Best I have owned, and I just never get tired of driving it, though I have been in one for 5 years now. Oh, and my son feels the same way. We LOVE them!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Hey brokendown, I'm in a similar situation except that I have owned at least 4 toyota products in the past as well as Honda, GM, Jag, infiniti, mitsubishi, dodge, and some I can't remember.
I currently have my sights set on a 2011 FJ as soon as the right model is available in my area. There's no question the Cummins TD has a stout reputation, but your vehicle carrying that engine is likely a victim of the Dodge/Chrysler diminishing quality phenomenon that led to their recent bankruptcy. I think we try not to bash companies on this forum, so I should just point out that the consumer reports and other statistical sources will indicate a Toyota product will simply be more reliable, higher finish quality, and easier to work on as well.
If you haven't done it yet, your first step is to go drive an FJ. you don't have to bring your checkbook with you but just driving one will answer a lot of questions, good hunting! :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A big thanks to all your advice! I guess theres one thing left to do and thats drive one, i suppose this weekend will be a good time to hunt, now to put the my billet flexplate in the dooodge to sell it soon, hopefully i find an FJ at a good price ive done some more research and really like what i have seen and heard but like you guys said i need to drive one first let alone sit in one! hope to be back on her with some pics soon

thanks, brokendown

·
Admin
8,939 Posts
Read up on the forums here for your answers.... don't expect the sales guy to know more than you after reading here for 30 minutes. At least that was my experience.

Definitely drive one though.

I test drove 4 FJ's before I finally bought one. There was nothing wrong with them, they were all brand new, I was just not ready to purchase yet. This should also give you a feel for the sales staff if you are planning on purchasing through a dealer.

Good luck.

:cheers:

p.s. I love my FJ!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts