Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys I have lived in Florida a few years. I recently moved back after a year and a half in new mexico. I am looking for a good place to go offroading and show off the FJs skills somewhere around West Palm. My FJ is stock right now since I am going out of country for a while next week. I wanted to know if anybody is getting together tomorrow, sunday the 31st. If not do you guys have any suggestions on where to go for a quick half day outing. I am not new to offroad driving just havent been anywhere in florida.

Thanks any info would be appreciated.
Andrew

·
Registered
790 Posts
Hi guys I have lived in Florida a few years. I recently moved back after a year and a half in new mexico. I am looking for a good place to go offroading and show off the FJs skills somewhere around West Palm. My FJ is stock right now since I am going out of country for a while next week. I wanted to know if anybody is getting together tomorrow, sunday the 31st. If not do you guys have any suggestions on where to go for a quick half day outing. I am not new to offroad driving just havent been anywhere in florida.

Andrew
When you get back into town plan to come to West central Florida. There is a group of us that will hook you up with a ride.

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
If mud is your thing, you are in heaven. But, since you are coming from NM I assume you like trails with more technical stuff and mud may not be your friend (sure isn't mine). The area you are in will be mostly mud and limestone pits (most of these pits are private property, btw).

SOOooooo, your choices are a bit fewer. Just as Gwagg stated, West Central (think Tampa) has some good stuff that extends up through the Ocala National Forrest. The FJers in that area are well organized and good folk.

Out in North West Florida there is good wheeling to be had in the Black Water State Forrest and Eglin Reservation. Again fairly well organized and great people.

I've heard some folks talk about some fun to be had around the Tallahassee area, but have yet to see any of it. Anyway, check out some pictures in the trail runs and meets section to see what looks good, then come on out and see us!

·
Registered
1,943 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts

Andrew
I am in the same boat.

I do have some trails here but they are sugar sand, I have yet to explore them all so if you ever want to drive about 30-45 minutes north from where your at on a Friday afternoon or weekend let me know, we can tool around these trails together and try not to get too stuck. I have limited recovery gear, I still need to get a high lift.

I keep studying the aerial photos of the area to see where I can get in and out of.

Here is a wiki map of the trail area.

Wikimapia - Let's describe the whole world!

PM me here or email me:

Jims5543 at gmail dot com

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey guys sorry its been so long but I came back from overseas and came straight back to NM for a job oppurtunity. I am out in NM now but I will probably be back in FL soon on vacation with the FJ and will look some of you guys up when I get there. Thanks for your replys.

Andrew

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well some have went to JW Corbett WMA. But lots of mud and water at times.

For more info;
FWC - Wildlife Management Area Sites J.w. Corbett

Here is a link to a 4x4 group down in that area and one older run they did there.

theswampthings4x4club.com :: View topic - Corbett June 29 pics

I have never been there.

But we know a few places around here (Tampa) and we love to scare the heck out of the out-of-towners, when they come into our area! lol Just kidding...:rocker::lol:
My fiancé and I just moved to West Palm Beach from California 3 days ago. We don’t have an FJ but I have a 4Runner and he has a Tundra. Both of us are used to trails and it’ll be fun to discover how our rigs can handle mud in Florida. Would love to join the off-road community here since we do not know anyone, yet. I know SoFlo do not really have much off-road presence, if none at all and we love to drive far places to meet folks like you who enjoys the same interests. My IG is otg_t4r and his is 504_tndra.
The closest place to you is JW Corbett, but as you can see that is a very dangerous place to go now since it is the wet season also that is a place where you do not want to go alone.

As far as other areas down here, they are mostly private property and you have to be very careful when you go off roading in private property.

·
Registered
2014, Trails Team Ultimate Edition.
181 Posts
I live in central Florida so my recommendations below wont be of any assistance for WPB proper. however, should you find yourself driving north towards Ocala from WPB on the turnpike, several in the Central Florida region.

Green swamp Wilderness Preserve is where i found many trails with many water crossings (Dry / Mudding/ submarining / etc.).
Withlacoochee state forest Croom wildlife management area has descent trails.
Ocala National Forest has plenty.

Tire Cloud Sky Water Wheel

·
Registered
5 Posts
I live in central Florida so my recommendations below wont be of any assistance for WPB proper. however, should you find yourself driving north towards Ocala from WPB on the turnpike, several in the Central Florida region.

Green swamp Wilderness Preserve is where i found many trails with many water crossings (Dry / Mudding/ submarining / etc.).
Withlacoochee state forest Croom wildlife management area has descent trails.
Ocala National Forest has plenty.

Tire Cloud Sky Water Wheel
That looks amazing!!! And yes we don’t care about long drives. We did just as much long driving in California. Thanks for the advice and nice rig! Is that a hard top fsr? We have the soft top and sold it before the move and really thinking about the hard top version. How do you like it? Where do you guys camp out?

·
Registered
181 Posts
That looks amazing!!! And yes we don’t care about long drives. We did just as much long driving in California. Thanks for the advice and nice rig! Is that a hard top fsr? We have the soft top and sold it before the move and really thinking about the hard top version. How do you like it? Where do you guys camp out?
Thanks! my RTT is the Roofnest Falcon XL. there are many excellent options but for me, the roofnest has met my needs. the unit is slim, lightweight; opens within the footprint of the FJ so deploying in a parking spot, turnpike rest stop, etc. is ideal for a "maturing mans" powernap. it does not need the ladder for me to climb in. i can use the tailgate tire to hop up when in a rest spot. The RTT rails allow for accessories to be attached which i have a few. also 200watt panels on the roof rack. there are negatives such as not being able to store sleeping gear inside. The biggest negative was the damn ladder!!! when kept inside the FJ during travel, always in the way, always the equipment and gear straps getting caught up like a tangled extension cord. however, i recently figure out a system to attach the ladder on top of the RTT roof rack with straps similar to shovel mounts. the ladder is easily accessed by stepping on the door sill and it's out of the way. other than the sleeping gear not being stored inside, its an excellent system.

In Florida, Withlacoochee or Ocala is my preferred for remote and primitive camping. I often camp in state parks with natural springs which Florida has many; the Florida keys are awesome but a longer hike for me. i have an inflatable kayak (outdoor elements) which fits inside the FJ nicely and allows me a lot of access to the Florida waterways.

Outside Florida, it takes me 2.5hrs to leave the state so i often do BLM camping. In two weeks, I'll be traveling the Georgia Adventure Trail (link below) which has plenty of primitive camping, water crossings, and a wide variety of terrain. a few youtube videos also exist.

there is a central florida FJ club who organized two events this year (tampa and daytona) link below.

I've been all over the US and in my opinion, the west is majestic and far superior for overlanding. however, you can still find beauty in the east, you just have to look harder; but hidden gems are all over.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thank you so much for the 411. That’s treasure! Do you go on your own or meet up with other rig owners? And yes the west offers countless places for overlanding. If it weren’t for gas prices we would drive farther places.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Thank you so much for the 411. That’s treasure! Do you go on your own or meet up with other rig owners? And yes the west offers countless places for overlanding. If it weren’t for gas prices we would drive farther places.
I typically go alone because i travel without an itinerary and don't like to plan the trip other than the allocation of time. however, during the last FJ-roundup, i was in a discussion with the leadership where a future organized overland trip is being considered. i'll PM you should this come to fruition.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts