Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2008 FJ Cruiser | 4WD
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

I recently purchased a 2008 FJ with 4WD but no diff locker or A-Trac (kind of bummed about that honestly).

Price: $20k
Color: Black
Mileage: 142,xxx
Lift: 3"
Tires: 305/65r17 (33" I think? I am new to this)
Wheels: Ugly Helo luxury wheels. Going to switch for TRD 17" soon.
---
I love the car but there were some hidden details when I purchase it from the used car dealer I went to.
They disguised the smell really well but now that a few days have passed there is a strong smell of cigarettes and manure. They told me that the person they purchased it from had used it on their farm, but damn the smell is strong. I also found mouse droppings in the trunk, engine bay, and cabin air filter. I am pretty positive there is no longer a creature in my car but there were signs of a mouse around.

I hired a detailer and he was shocked at the lack of effort the dealer put in to clean it lol.

I purchased an ozone generator to rid of the smell and so far it is working.

A/C broke yesterday as well! However I think that is my own fault for going on a rough trail the other day.

Been an interesting ride already, but I am happy to join the FJ Family!

·
Premium Member
17,042 Posts
Welcome aboard!

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
40,175 Posts
Welcome!

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
Welcome from Oregon :)

·
Registered
388 Posts
Welcome from Vancouver, British Columbia! Great looking FJ- once you get the problems worked out you'll grow to love it. For most exploring off the pavement you'll find it quite capable; only when going down places no one else has been for a while will you find the e-locker and atrac necessary. You could look into finding the parts and having them installed- which I highly recommend as my sons and I find the 2 features almost indispensable in our '08, or if you feel the need to be able to go almost anywhere a winch would be another option.
Some of the places we've been- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMIspHkYseZjgFvz96HkoJg
My eldest is the budding filmmaker, so if you like what you see and subscribe he'll be thrilled! I'm just the chief mechanic/holder of the purse strings when it comes to equipment (actually, co-holder)/sometimes driver/vehicle owner and extra on the set. Enjoy! Al

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Welcome from Vancouver, Canada!

·
Registered
2010TT AT
1,262 Posts
Hi justenphelps, welcome from Ohio!

·
Registered
2008 FJ Cruiser | 4WD
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Welcome from Vancouver, British Columbia! Great looking FJ- once you get the problems worked out you'll grow to love it. For most exploring off the pavement you'll find it quite capable; only when going down places no one else has been for a while will you find the e-locker and atrac necessary. You could look into finding the parts and having them installed- which I highly recommend as my sons and I find the 2 features almost indispensable in our '08, or if you feel the need to be able to go almost anywhere a winch would be another option.
Some of the places we've been- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMIspHkYseZjgFvz96HkoJg
My eldest is the budding filmmaker, so if you like what you see and subscribe he'll be thrilled! I'm just the chief mechanic/holder of the purse strings when it comes to equipment (actually, co-holder)/sometimes driver/vehicle owner and extra on the set. Enjoy! Al

This is excellent! I am going to see how far I can get without those features but if i really need them I am glad that they are installable.
I just subscribed to the channel, the videos are great and I am jealous of the places you guys have been!

Appreciate the kind words and advice. Already loving this car a ton.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hello everyone!

I recently purchased a 2008 FJ with 4WD but no diff locker or A-Trac (kind of bummed about that honestly).

Price: $20k
Color: Black
Mileage: 142,xxx
Lift: 3"
Tires: 305/65r17 (33" I think? I am new to this)
Wheels: Ugly Helo luxury wheels. Going to switch for TRD 17" soon.
---
I love the car but there were some hidden details when I purchase it from the used car dealer I went to.
They disguised the smell really well but now that a few days have passed there is a strong smell of cigarettes and manure. They told me that the person they purchased it from had used it on their farm, but damn the smell is strong. I also found mouse droppings in the trunk, engine bay, and cabin air filter. I am pretty positive there is no longer a creature in my car but there were signs of a mouse around.

I hired a detailer and he was shocked at the lack of effort the dealer put in to clean it lol.

I purchased an ozone generator to rid of the smell and so far it is working.

A/C broke yesterday as well! However I think that is my own fault for going on a rough trail the other day.

Been an interesting ride already, but I am happy to join the FJ Family!

View attachment 1168978

I had a similar issue with strong odor, Mine was purchased from a "famous" drummer supposedly. I think he used this vehicle as a hunting or backwoods vehicle as it smells of musty, Mossy, grassy, musk. :poop: LOL! After a couple attempts to clean/ mask the smell with store bought solutions, I did some research and came upon the Ozone solution. I've run it with the A/C and circulation buttons on at MAX. It's better but as the heat here in Texas gets hotter, I notice the musk coming back. Im gonna nuke this thing into submission a few more times! How did you do with your smell?

·
Registered
2008 FJ Cruiser | 4WD
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I had a similar issue with strong odor, Mine was purchased from a "famous" drummer supposedly. I think he used this vehicle as a hunting or backwoods vehicle as it smells of musty, Mossy, grassy, musk. :poop: LOL! After a couple attempts to clean/ mask the smell with store bought solutions, I did some research and came upon the Ozone solution. I've run it with the A/C and circulation buttons on at MAX. It's better but as the heat here in Texas gets hotter, I notice the musk coming back. Im gonna nuke this thing into submission a few more times! How did you do with your smell?

Fortunately the Ozone generator has been working so far! I have run it about 5 times total for about an hour to two hours each time. Every now and then I do notice a hint of the bad smells but for the most part is has gone.

I definitely recommend OVER using the ozone generator if you own it and like you said, NUKING the smell into submission with the ozone. I swapped my cabin filter for one with charcoal etc so that might have helped also.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Its crazy how powerful those generators are. That ozone is no joke, will kill all in its path. LOL! I've run it twice in the FJ, gonna do a few more times to get rid of the Musk! Weirdest smell ever, kinda like a swamp!

·
Registered
2007 Metallic Sliver FJ, Auto, 285/70/17 BFG KO2, 3inch Bilstein OME lift SPC upper control arms.
101 Posts
Its crazy how powerful those generators are. That ozone is no joke, will kill all in its path. LOL! I've run it twice in the FJ, gonna do a few more times to get rid of the Musk! Weirdest smell ever, kinda like a swamp!
You should also buy a AC refresh kit. It will help. My ac/heat had a funky smell and running that cleaner through really helped to eliminate the odor coming from AC. I used the Toyota brand but I know there are other brands available. 🙂

1 - 19 of 19 Posts