Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Just recently joined during my hunt for an FJ - and finally settled on one last week. Purchased a 2012 Calvar Blue FJ 4x4 (Convenience + Upgrade Package) with 84k miles on it.
During the purchase, I had it check out by a local Toyota dealer, which came back with a clean report. It seems to have been well cared for and never really been taken offroad.

Couple of questions that I'll likely find as I dig into the forums, but thought I'd put here as a Newb.

1. I'm in North Carolina. Typically 30s in the winter, 80s in the summer. Seems like the consensus is to ditch the 0w-20 and go with a synthetic 5w-30? I know how oil can get people riled up, so just making sure I'm on the right path in general here!

2. Not too concerned given the clean bill of health, but are there any things I should focus on in particular to make sure it's in good shape for the long haul? Anything important in the 100k mile service, or reason to have that done at the dealer? I was also thinking about having the 4x4 system serviced (diffs, transfer case) just for peace of mind.

3. Suspension. I'll likely post this in the suspension discussion, but I'm interested in the best options for keeping it as close to stock as possible while maybe leveling it out or doing a 1-2" lift. I'll be taking it out on forest service roads and some low difficulty 'jeep' trails, but nothing serious... yet. I was wondering if maybe swapping to a stock TRD setup would be worthwhile? Lot's to learn I'm sure.

4. Anything else I should check out/do as a new owner?

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
Congrats on the pickup! Do you have the maintenance history of the vehicle? If not, I'd probably change all of the fluids so I know where to begin. It looks very clean! Really, just drive it and learn about it. Being down there in NC, you'll have lots of trails to go on. Learn how to use the 4x4 system and see what your FJ is capable of! Happy riding and welcome to the forums!

Reactions: The Mayor

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, full history of service records, nothing major done, but regularly serviced every 5k miles give or take. I used to own a 1982 FJ40 and have always had an eye for these since they came out. Pretty excited!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Congrats! She's a beauty, well done. Great color

IMO you are on the right path on the 5W-30 synthetic. It least that is what I've switched to and I'm in Ohio.

The tipping point for me was someone posted the "outside US" recommendation and it was 5W-30. The 0W-20 in the US is probably for a .001 increase in MPG for CAFE numbers but should work fine also.

Flame suit on. :)

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,644 Posts
Welcome from the UK.
Yes I swapped to 5W-30...the spec for the rest of the world anyhow.

suspension wise there are lots and lots of threads discussing this. Depends on your budget. By the best you can afford and over spec if you can as you’ll end up wanting more. Recommend Toytec for advice and options

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
Congrats, and excellent color choice. We have about the same mileage--mine's a 2011. Does anyone recommending the 5W-30 change have an explanation for why this is good?

As for the rest, open your wallet, empty out all your money. Repeat every time there is more money in your wallet. It never ends.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Check those records for a Transmission Service. The lifetime trans fluid is not really meant for a lifetime. Also check that the drive shafts have been greased. They telescope and need proper greasing. If you just want it level you can use spacers up front. If you want it level but also want to replace/upgrade the shocks, Bilstein 5100 adjustable height shocks are a good way to go. The front shocks have a ring on the shock body that can be placed in one of four places to adjust the height when installed. The second notch still leaves a little forward rake and the third notch sets you just slightly nose up. Maybe. It's a little different on each FJ. Here are pics of my progression for reference.

Stock

5100's 3rd Notch

Lifted 3 inches with same 5100's but lift springs.

Same 5100's and lift springs but with new 295/70r17's and wheels.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello The Major, welcome to the FJ world and congratulations on your 2012 FJ. I recently had a 3" lift on my 2008 FJ; I installed the Old Man EMU which is a good suspension lift. I live in Miami so its considered over kill here since we do not have mountains or rough terrain in this area. I've been told that the EMU's I have will work well in rough terrain. I installed this heavy load suspension kit because I also installed heavy Smittybilt bumpers; which in time would have destroyed my old OEM suspension. This is the kit I installed: Enjoy your FJ!

Part no: OMEFJC10HKS
OLD MAN EMU 2.5"-3" HEAVY LOAD SUSPENSION LIFT KIT WITH NITROCHARGER SPORT SHOCKS

·
Registered
2 Posts
1. Windshield, be prepared...its flat and that FJ in front of you that you are checking out their mods will kick up a rock and crack it. I've been through 3 in 9 years.
2. Wheel bearings are not sealed (at least on my 08). If you go through wet stuff alot they may need changed out on front. I've changed mine twice in 9 yrs.
3. Idler pulleys. I haven't really figured this one out yet, I was doing some snorkeling so it may be why but the 3 replaceable idler pulleys wear out. On my 3rd set. Pretty easy to change out and not too expensive...just gotta get the dang belt back on. I'm thinking about just doing it every 20k just to be safe (and not have the belt frey taking out my coolant hose again out in the middle of no where)

I did bilstein adjustable shocks with leveler on front with no lift. I got 2.5 to, not quite 3in lift. Running 285 17 terra g2s and want to go a little bigger. I'm in FL as well. While I agree with flashover that we don't have mountains, we do have swampy trails.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks again all. As for maintenance, a couple of questions (Currently sitting at 85k miles).

1. Worthwhile to change all the fluids? Transmission fluid flush?
2. Anything in particular that gets serviced at 100k?
3. What else to inspect?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts