Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Just purchased a clean black 2011 with 97k miles. It is really nice but has a quirk I am not sure about. When driving in a highway lane with a crown (or small ruts), It pulls left or right without warning as the road surface changes. This happens on typical city streets. The pull is not drastic, but it requires a course correction to stay in the lane. The question is: is this normal or is something wrong? Thanks for any thoughts.

Colin Ward

·
Registered
9,728 Posts
Not normal per-se, but its complicated.

Is it lifted? May need more caster in the equation...tracks better with more.

What is the tire pressure at? This can affect road manners.

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,271 Posts
Welcome.

my FJ and all my 4x4‘s will pick up on ruts in the road and pull, the ruts here are generslly made by the trucks and wider than the FJ track so it will ride the edge and ‘fall‘ in so seemingly pull. So if you can directly attribute the pulling to ruts then there may be nothing wrong but if it pulls on good road or under braking then there is something wrong. As above check tire pressures first, also have a good look at the tires for uneven wear, from there check alignment. If these don’t solve it then you need to look at other driveline components

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Welcome to the show.

Good advice given already, give us updates of what you try and how you make out. Wait till you get hit with a 40mph
wind gust broadside. Also maybe post up some pics of the rig and front tires and such.

·
Premium Member
16,458 Posts
Welcome aboard!

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
welcome to the show! congrats on the purchase!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone. Checking tire pressure requirements first....a bit confusing since the door sticker says 35 and an additional sticker has been placed over it that says 41. The tires are 17".

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
A few comments:
1. Your WHEELS are 17", but what type and size TIRES are mounted? The type and size of the TIRE has a huge effect on the "tramlining" characteristics you are describing. The wheels have almost no effect on this.
2. Assuming that this is an automatic transmission model, you are not driving it on the road in 4WD mode, correct? The AT models are "part-time" 4WD ONLY, and must not be driven on high-traction surfaces (the street) in 4WD mode. Driving in 4WD mode on the road can eventually cause serious damage to the driveline and tires, and will induce handling problems.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The tires are Goodyear Wrangler AT/S P265/70R17.

Yes it is an automatic and no, I am not running it in 4WD on hard surfaces.

Thank you

·
Registered
259 Posts
First things first, check your alignment basics. You can estimate toe with a tape measure. Mine behaved same as yours when i bought it, had toe out and uneven camber.
You could tell it had been that way as the inside of the front tires were most worn.

Fixed toe, took camber to zero, rotated tires and it's been great since.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just picked up a 2011 with 95k I had the Goodyear AT/s in that sized installed and it tracks fine even hitting bumps slow or fast.

I would also check toe in or out that will cause quick jerks when hitting bumps. The crude was to check is to use a tape measure. Distance between front of tires compared to distance between rear. Try to do measurements closest to center of wheel.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I just picked up a 2011 with 95k I had the Goodyear AT/s in that sized installed and it tracks fine even hitting bumps slow or fast.

I would also check toe in or out that will cause quick jerks when hitting bumps. The crude was to check is to use a tape measure. Distance between front of tires compared to distance between rear. Try to do measurements closest to center of wheel.
Front and rear track can be significantly different depending on vehicle, camber, etc.
I check as high as i can on the front of the front tires, then the same height on the rear of the front tires. When i bought mine there was a 1/2" difference...:oops:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

What is your tire pressure? Thanks

·
Registered
25 Posts
My sticker, you have the LT tires from the factory so they always require a higher pressure to adhere to there load rating.

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
You could always go to a deserted parking lot or road, put some chalk on the tread, drive a bit and look at how the chalk has been rubbed off and adjust the tire pressure from there. That way you would know the correct tire pressure for your rig with your load.

Plus, after doing that you can be "that guy" at the meet up who explains how you know 37 psi is the exact correct tire pressure for you. There's always at least one...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts