Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought my first FJ and LOVE IT! it is an 08' and my question is, i really have no idea if it has ever been serviced? I bought it from a Nissan dealership. It looked like new, in great shape with only 39,000miles on it.
My question is, i dont have the money to go into Toyota and say hey, give her everything she needs. so, what are the things I need to look for in order of importance to give her the best service I might be able to do. Ive done simple things, like checked the filters. the in cabin one was pretty dirty, but the engine one looked really clean. I dont know if fluids have ever been replaced, how much does that cost? you have the front and rear diff fluids, what else? Also, spark plugs, is it too early for new spark plugs? I just want to hit all the major things that might cause be grief later if i dont check and do now. Im sure anything that needs to be done can be learned right here on the forum, if i just knew what was really important and not wast money on things that really arnt. so if anyone out there has a few minutes to guide me through the most important things i should do at almost 40k, i would be greatly appreciated.
thank you much chaps

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Any idea when the oil was last changed and with what kind? If not I'd change the oil (and filter) with a good synthetic.

Front and rear diff, transfer case (4x4), and transmission (manual) all can be changed. If they haven't been I would change them with a good synthetic 75W-90 (which is what most people use, technically Toyota says 75W-85 but it's hard to find).

Were the spark plugs replaced at 30k miles? If not it's time to do those. Most people use stock Denso or NGK plugs.

Cleaning the MAF is a good idea. If you look around there are some good threads on this.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. The problem is I dint know if it has EVER been serviced! I cleaned the MAS and air filters, i figured the truck will tell me when it's time to change the oil then I will go with a good synthetic. Is there a way to check the diffs to see if they need changing? I know I'm not getting more than 16mpg though.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Thanks for the reply. The problem is I dint know if it has EVER been serviced! I cleaned the MAS and air filters, i figured the truck will tell me when it's time to change the oil then I will go with a good synthetic. Is there a way to check the diffs to see if they need changing? I know I'm not getting more than 16mpg though.
No, no real way to check them without draining the oil, and then you have to change it. If you go with Mobile 1 for the diff's and tcase it's not more than $50 in oil, pus the gaskets from Toyota, which are maybe $10.

You should go back to the dealership and ask them about service on it. I'd bet they at least checked to make sure everything was in working order before they sold it.

I would bet the oil must have been changed regularly, otherwise the "Maint Reqd" light would be on and it would barely run. As far as other maintenance having been done, hard to tell. You could pull the plugs and see how they look.

All-in-all, the things I outlined shouldn't cost more than $200 if you do it yourself, and they are all easy to do. If you can't get any info from the dealer on what has (or has not) been done maintenance wise, I would bite the bullet now and do some preventative maintenance.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply Footbal. Thing is, I bought it from a Nissan dealership, sold with only factory warranty, which of course having 39,000mi is just the drive train etc. I'm not even sure who owned it before me, they told me one thing and carfax told me another. I bought it because it looked practically new inside and out. I opened the hood and looked for dimpling or ripples that I have read about here, it ran good, was clean and no scratches.
The only thing that I am not real happy with is the gas mileage. I'm barely getting 16mpg, and that's if I drive super careful. This leads me to believe that some servicing is in order. I took it to advanced, they hooked up the computer and said both my air/fuel sensors were low. Since the one in front of the catalytic converter regulates air/fuel ratio, I'm worried I may need to change that to help my gas mileage? I've never changed one before, so that worries me a little.
The rest would be at least rear diff fluid, and spark plugs for a starter. This is all new to me, but I have learned so much from this forum, so I hope I can do most ofmthe work.

·
Registered
63 Posts
You might try...

Tursiops,

You might try ToyotaCare. I took our new (to us) 2007 FJ for an oil and filter change and filled out a few forms. A day or two later I was e-mailed some customer service questions and a link to join Toyotacare.

Since it was free, I joined and couldn't believe all the data I found on the net regarding my vehicle. Since it was previously serviced by a Toyota dealer I instantly acquired good maintenance records.

Perhaps this will work for you too!

Best of luck and enjoy your new FJ!

Joel N.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Re: You might try...

Tursiops,

You might try ToyotaCare. I took our new (to us) 2007 FJ for an oil and filter change and filled out a few forms. A day or two later I was e-mailed some customer service questions and a link to join Toyotacare.

Since it was free, I joined and couldn't believe all the data I found on the net regarding my vehicle. Since it was previously serviced by a Toyota dealer I instantly acquired good maintenance records.

Perhaps this will work for you too!

Best of luck and enjoy your new FJ!

Joel N.
Great suggestion. And just to be clear for the OP, you don't have to take it in for service to sign up. Just google ToyotaCare, and enter the required information (including VIN) and then you can see all the information on your FJ. Can also check recalls.

·
Premium Member
3,360 Posts
Is the same thing as Toyota Owners? Or is it only the new car program?

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Is the same thing as Toyota Owners? Or is it only the new car program?
Same thing. ToyotaCare is the new car free maintenance program, Toyota Owners is the online website that keeps your records, and is free to all Toyota owners.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Awesome advice. Heard Toyota care mentioned somewhere at somempoint but had no idea what it was. Now I do, and will def sign up tonight. Great info:cheers:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts