Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, just now signed up and have some questions.
Thinking about buying an FJ Cruiser to use as a tow vehicle behind an RV. Can someone tell me the actual weight of the vehicle? I have Googled it and it came up 4,000-4,300 lbs. approximately. I’ve also read this can be towed by discounting the drive shaft manually or installing an after market kit so the drive shaft can be disconnected from inside vehicle. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
I think the actual weight would be around the 4,000 - 4,300 pounds. It would depend on how the source weighed the vehicle. Full of fuel, oil and other liquids, with a roof rack and every conceivable option available at the time vs stripped down and little fuel or other liquids. Also, on the lighter end of the spectrum is the 2wd version. Those weigh less.

·
Banned
133 Posts
I’d probably go with Texas FJs answer. Like I said I’m not so smart. I just read a lot. And often forget or get confused lol

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the Welcome and the replies!

l know Google said 4,000-4,300 lbs. but l found one that shows GVWR as being 2525 KG. and that works out to be 5566 lbs. Could that be right? I’m not to smart either! 😊

·
A-Team Moderator
8,977 Posts
The gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR), or gross vehicle mass (GVM) is the maximum operating weight/mass of a vehicle as specified by the manufacturer including the vehicle's chassis, body, engine, engine fluids, fuel, accessories, driver, passengers and cargo, but excluding that of any trailers.

·
Premium Member
2,668 Posts
Last time I ran Jade through the weigh station she was 5500 lbs. Full tank, two of us, recovery gear, winch, rear bumper with 2 five gallon cans, 33's, stock alloys and a few other odds and ends..

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,268 Posts
How you flat tow depends on whether it is manual trans or auto. You can't flat tow an auto without removing the propshafts or causing catastrophic failure of the transmission. (No oil being circulated through the box but the wheels will be turning it) Bear in mind too that you're adding wear and tear to the drivetrain dragging it around.

·
Registered
42 Posts
A 4x2 could be towed if it had a manual trans (not sure who would own a 2 wheel deprive FJ?). But a 4x4 would have to be manual trans and manual hubs, which im pretty sure does not exist. So then your stuck with a manual 4x4 on a dolly.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I tow my 08 4x4 automatic on a flatbed featherlite car hauler. I have gone through a weigh station with the fj on the trailer, with camping gear & 2 bikes on the trailer. My trailer weighs 1200lbs & my total was 5800lbs for the trailer loaded. I have a full set of aluminum skid plates & everything else is stock. Or it was at the time I weighed it. I have talked to other people who have installed the driveshaft disconnect with success. However my opinion is this causes a weak link in the drivetrain if you plan on doing any medium to hard offroading.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts