Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Wanderlust
4,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Total Chaos Fab has been producing the spindle gussets shown below for a few years now (PN 59698). It's a very simple and stiff design but does not allow the use of the front sway bar as the gusset covers the sway bar end link mounting hole.

Recently, TC has made available a second more Heavy Duty gusset spindle design which is now compatible with the front sway bar. The new design consists of three pieces: the main gusset which is CNC-bent 1/8" steel, a 1/4" thick top plate (for FJC, thinner for Tacoma), and a tie rod mount gusset. The new PN is 59698-SB and the suggested price is about $20 more than the original design.

Edit: TC has added these gussets to the website with the recommendation to use 1.25" thick spacers if factory wheels are used. MSRP is $60 for both sides.

Welding these gussets on will require complete strip down the spindles. I took these photos of Jordan from DeMello Off Road working on gsgmac's spindles.

And the following photos are of mine (also done by Jordan). I'm not using the front sway bar but the new TC gussets work with the factory front sway bar.

As shown in the photo below, the main gusset goes straight from the UCA ball joint to the wheel hub and does not have the dog-leg bend of the factory spindle. Wheels with backspacing larger than the factory BS of 4.8" may rub on the main gusset.

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
Awesome pics! I noticed the new gussets on the three link build thread. Very nice. I was actually going to make my own, since I didn't want All Pro ones, but still wanted to retain my sway bar. This is sweet now I don't have to design and build my own!:cheers:

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
Can the Swaybar remain with these ?....

and what about getting a set pre-welded with a core with a return on a stock set, for a cost of course ?...

Just a thought... :thinkerg:

·
Wanderlust
4,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome pics! I noticed the new gussets on the three link build thread. Very nice. I was actually going to make my own, since I didn't want All Pro ones, but still wanted to retain my sway bar. This is sweet now I don't have to design and build my own!:cheers:
Thanks. The price for these gussets is so reasonable, it's tough to be able to make your own for less.

Can the Swaybar remain with these ?....

and what about getting a set pre-welded with a core with a return on a stock set, for a cost of course ?...

Just a thought... :thinkerg:

Yes. Front sway bar can be used with these. I think that's a great idea to have pre-welded spindles available; if the returned cores are too bent to be useable, then the cost of new spindles are charged.

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
^^^ Exactly, if the core ones are bent, thecore charge would not be refunded !.... ;)

Just thinking of all the people out there that can't weld, don't know a welder or a place that would be 'toyota' savey'...

·
Premium Member
2007 Black FJC
2,204 Posts
Damn, Nicole and the guys at TC have been holding out on me! :) These look awesome. Don't need the sway bar, so probably won't change, but these have a more consistent look with the TC style LCA's. Very slick looking.

·
Wanderlust
4,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It was Jason DeMello who told me about these new gussets. His shop has done at least one set for a Tacoma and two sets for FJ Cruisers. These spindle gussets become a necessity when installing front LT kits.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
The news ones look great!

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
We have actually thought about doing a pre-built ones with cores for people that don't want to weld them for them selves. We could even have them powder coated before they left to help fight rust.

Cost with the parts would be about 200.00, 40-50 for powder coating plus core charge.

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
We have actually thought about doing a pre-built ones with cores for people that don't want to weld them for them selves. We could even have them powder coated before they left to help fight rust.

Cost with the parts would be about 200.00, 40-50 for powder coating plus core charge.
^^^^^Sign me up. I would take these if I could do a core exchange. I need my rig for the daily commute to work.

·
Premium Member
1,023 Posts
We installed a set on our FJC. We bent our original knuckles with the old style TC gusset so we got a hold of the new ones and I added an additional rib down the center. Need all the extra insurance we can get since we have upgraded to 36" Iroks.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
^^^ Awesome... This is one of the week points on my FJ I worry about !...

Thanks for Checkin' on it Jason !... :bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Does anyone know if these new ones are compatible with the OEM UCA. Previous version states on their site, that it is not compatible with OEM UCA or OEM sway bar.

I ask because I just recently bent a spindle/knuckle and wouldn't mind a set, but w/o having to upgrade everything.
I just put on the older style braces and beyond not being able to use your sway bar they should work just fine with the stock UCA.

·
Wanderlust
4,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Does anyone know if these new ones are compatible with the OEM UCA. Previous version states on their site, that it is not compatible with OEM UCA or OEM sway bar.

I ask because I just recently bent a spindle/knuckle and wouldn't mind a set, but w/o having to upgrade everything.
AL:
I received an email from TC today regarding your question on compatibility with the OEM UCA. The reason given by TC is that the additional gusset near where the UCA is bolted to the spindle may prevent the use of the cotter pin to secure the castle nut because the hole in the OEM taper ball joint stud may not be exposed. Since the TC UCA uses a new 9/16" bolt and nut, this is not an issue. TC also confirms that the MSRP is $60 (edit: price is for both sides). HTH
Thong

1 - 20 of 49 Posts