Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had this done yesterday with a Rev 3" lift. I'm feeling rubbing and seeing it too in the front wheel well behind the tire. Take a look at these pics and see if you see what I am seeing and what I'm supposed to do about it. I can't fit my finger between the tire and that arm behind it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
Are you running the Factory Skid plate? I rubbed on that until I trimmed it. But only on sharp turns.

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm very close to rubbing on that plate, but if you look at the arm that is right behind the tire there, THAT I believe is touching when the wheel gets moving. It has to -- it's like half a finger tip away from the tire. Any wobble at all, and it's going to touch that arm. And you can see the dirt has been rubbed away in that area.

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
Are those the factory wheels? If so we are running the same tires and wheel but I have the Heavy OME lift with no rubbing.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Just had this done yesterday with a Rev 3" lift. I'm feeling rubbing and seeing it too in the front wheel well behind the tire. Take a look at these pics and see if you see what I am seeing and what I'm supposed to do about it. I can't fit my finger between the tire and that arm behind it.
I run these same tires, but on aftermarket wheels, with no rubbing. The stock wheels may not have enough offset to get that aggressive sidewall away from your UCA. You may need to get different wheels, or different tires, or add some wheel spacers.

·
C4B_Rocks
758 Posts
I think you are rubbing on you're upper A-arms if you can't get you'r fingers between the upper A-arm and the tire then that is you'r problem. You are going to need a wheel spacer for the front.

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I took it back on Saturday and they took another look and said there is a 1/2" clearance between the tire and the A-arm and that I'm not actually rubbing. Does that sound like enough?

Starting to think I should have gone AT instead of MT, but damn they look mean. :)

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You need spacers up front & check for rubbing on the body mount to.
I dropped by again and they are again saying that arm will stay static at 1/2" and that it will not rub. So now I don't know what to think.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Athos.....u need to buy a 2'' leveling kit in order to run that fat of a tire 295....the stocks ont the steelies are 265 with a -3 degree offset there is not enough room under there for 295's without lifting/leveling out the front end...i got my kit from readylift.....230.00 bucks

·
Registered
931 Posts
When the suspension cycles up and down the tires is rubbing on that arm. Tell them to put on the smallest spacer they have and you won't have any issues. I have the same tires in a 35 and had to do a spacer to keep from rubbing. PM me if you have anymore questions. I have been through everything you are experiencing now before.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Athos.....u need to buy a 2'' leveling kit in order to run that fat of a tire 295....the stocks ont the steelies are 265 with a -3 degree offset there is not enough room under there for 295's without lifting/leveling out the front end...i got my kit from readylift.....230.00 bucks
A leveling kit is not going to address the distance between the UCA and the inside wall of the tire. The picture shows rubbing on the ball joint area of the control arm.

My tires rub there on heavy turns and jumps. I use a different set of tires for offroad to correct the issue. On road, I just live with it.

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My RevTek 3" lift is not enough?

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So if I am at a half inch now, what would a spacer gain me and what's the downside of the spacer?

·
Registered
835 Posts
So if I am at a half inch now, what would a spacer gain me and what's the downside of the spacer?

Wheel spacers have several drawbacks. It adds another part to crush /work loose / fail, and you have to either extend the stock studs or use a spacer with it's own studs like the spidertraxx. The added offset will bring your tire closer to the body mount at full turn, and may rub there instead. The right rim and tire combination is out there, but everything has a trade off. I went for minimal setback, and no chop, I like the simplicity of it. A little rub I can deal with, and I have had no problems even offroad.

·
Registered
304 Posts
why would any company install a tire on a vehicle if it rubs?!! Had that problem on another vehicle. Just had to complain about that crap.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts