Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my front skid installed ~$410.00 installed. Actually fairly decent gauge metal- may not be calling it a 'bling-plate' after all....

:cheers:

Attachments

·
Registered
952 Posts
All depends what type of off roading you will be doing - to determine how much protection it offers...

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
Its basically a big snow shovel under there and if you ever get stuck in the mud and have to back out or be pulled out backwards it acts like a big shovel and fills up with mud. But if you stay outta the mud might work for you.

·
Premium Member
6,956 Posts
Just got my front skid installed ~$410.00 installed. Actually fairly decent gauge metal- may not be calling it a 'bling-plate' after all....

I hope it serves you better than it served me. That sheet metal thickness is really deceiving.

I posted this in the Rasta VS. Budbuilt thread.

Bent and beaten. We all know it sucks. The placement was it's biggest down fall. It could have faired much better if tucked closer up.

Poor bling plate...

Can you see the aluminum balling up? This is what I meant by sticky. Aluminum IS a sticky metal, and IS much softer than mild steel at any temperment (Brinell hardness scale).

Much too easily dug into and gouged for my liking, aside from the fact IT PLAIN SUCKED. (I really really dislike this skid and the fact Toyota took my money for it... :eek:)

Another sticky spot...

The black line is a SHADOW where something stuck into it.

Another angle.

I am not sure if you wheel as hard as I do. If not, you might be fine. I don't baby my FJ like many think I should, but the payments come from my bank account so I use it as I see fit. This does mean it has significant pin striping and a rather brutal dent/scrape or two.

Please don't take offense to this, as your experience with this skid may be completely different from mine, but buying that skid was the biggest mistake I have ever made in regards to my FJ. As you can see, I used it for what it was intended and it failed miserably as far as I was concerned. It hung up on rocks, bent, scooped snow and mud like DC Cruiser said, and was basically a major pain in my ass. I ditched it for Budbuilts, and personally think you would be better off to do the same, if you see fit. It is your rig, I don't mean to tell you what to do, but if you sell it now you may be able to put it towards a Bud skid or two. You don't need the whole set, but protecting the oil pan and frontal components is vital.

Happy trails.

Joel

·
Premium Member
190 Posts

Congrats on your new mod. Hope it serves you as expected. Looks great.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I hope it gives you more protection than it did me. Mine fell off after hitting the incline of a dune at speed. The flimsy brackets just buckled. You might think the plate is thick, but the brackets holding it on are made from a Pepsi can. It also high-centered me a few times.

·
Registered
849 Posts
good luck and as others have stated.......hope it works out for you. if you do any wheeling you might want to upgrade to budbuilts (or anthing stronger). $410 seems like alot to me. i paid $600 for my BB's and they are AWESOME! (and offer way more pretection).

on a positive note--> your FJ looks way cool and if you are happy, we all are happy with ya!

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
No offense, but you should have others on here before you bought that thing. ESPECIALLY for 410. You could have found one on here from someone selling it for less than 100 and they probably would have installed it for you if they were close to you.

·
Premium Member
6,956 Posts
No offense, but you should have others on here before you bought that thing. ESPECIALLY for 410. You could have found one on here from someone selling it for less than 100 and they probably would have installed it for you if they were close to you.
I felt so ashamed of mine, being the POS it is/was, that I wouldn't accept any money for it. I gave it to Gerry in AB, and he sent me the waybills for shipping. At $410, that's about one FJ payment I shouldn't have had to make. :(

Sorry to put this crap in your thread Bender. If you are happy, that is what counts! :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts