Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Call me Pickles
831 Posts
Thanks for the help! I think if I go radflo I'll keep it simple and do regular travel 2.5 front coilovers with the rear 2.0 shocks and coils. Extended travel sounds nice but I know it'll add more crap to tweak and I really don't need it. Cant decide between fox 2.5 or radflo. I like the radflo because I can choose between a 590 and 650lb coil. Decisions decisions. And Can't wait for pictures!
There really isn't any more/less maintenance with ext travel vs stock travel. This isn't a Long Travel kit that requires modified CV axles or anything like that. It just simply allows the tire more than stock travel which is always nice. Same price I would definitely go ext travel. It's better to have and not need , than need and not have.

My personal opinion between fox and radflo.
With Fox ( and yes Ive wheeled fox ) you cant feel the truck. The ride is so smooth that when loosing traction you can't feel which tire is spinning. It also left me doubting my lines because it fools you in many ways. Don't get me wrong it was AWESOME suspension if your street driving , washboard roads , or even mudding. But with Slow speed rock crawling it took too much feeling away.

Radflo is a general mix of on road , washboard , and rock. There are pros and cons to all suspension but this one seamed to have the best flexibility to any grade path I put my rig to. I know I can take park road 2 from area b to area 51 at 50+ mph at Hidden Falls and not spill my coffee hehe.

They are both superb suspension systems and I personally think you will be very happy with either one! Keep us in the loop on your decisions and I will have pics up soon for you.

·
Call me Pickles
831 Posts
Here are some old flex shots I found

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

And here is before I ran 315s

[/URL][/IMG]

Hope this helps!

--Ryan

·
Registered
23 Posts
There really isn't any more/less maintenance with ext travel vs stock travel. This isn't a Long Travel kit that requires modified CV axles or anything like that. It just simply allows the tire more than stock travel which is always nice. Same price I would definitely go ext travel. It's better to have and not need , than need and not have.

With Fox ( and yes Ive wheeled fox ) you cant feel the truck. The ride is so smooth that when loosing traction you can't feel which tire is spinning. It also left me doubting my lines because it fools you in many ways. Don't get me wrong it was AWESOME suspension if your street driving , washboard roads , or even mudding. But with Slow speed rock crawling it took too much feeling away.

Radflo is a general mix of on road , washboard , and rock. There are pros and cons to all suspension but this one seamed to have the best flexibility to any grade path I put my rig to. I know I can take park road 2 from area b to area 51 at 50+ mph at Hidden Falls and not spill my coffee hehe.

They are both superb suspension systems and I personally think you will be very happy with either one! Keep us in the loop on your decisions and I will have pics up soon for you.
Thank you so much for the extra explanation! I was thinking of long travel. I will definitely go with extended travel now. I guess I'll have to look into which one I can get at a better deal on when the time comes because I don't do any rock crawling(hopefully it will be in a few months) and I'll post a picture for you but I'm a 4runner guy :( always loved the fj's but I didn't have the money to put up for one and then mod it. I was bothering y'all because it seems the fj guys do more high end mods(lifts, leds, etc) and would be able to give a better review.

·
Call me Pickles
831 Posts

Thank you so much for the extra explanation! I was thinking of long travel. I will definitely go with extended travel now. I guess I'll have to look into which one I can get at a better deal on when the time comes because I don't do any rock crawling(hopefully it will be in a few months) and I'll post a picture for you but I'm a 4runner guy
always loved the fj's but I didn't have the money to put up for one and then mod it. I was bothering y'all because it seems the fj guys do more high end mods(lifts, leds, etc) and would be able to give a better review.
Lmfao. It's funny your a 4runner guy. Wife has a 2003 v8 4runner same lift as mine. Almost same bumper as mine as well. She wheels harder than I do. Our club president has a 96 4runner that he hasn't managed to get stuck yet and gators club president has an 88 on 37s hehe. I indulge in both.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Lmfao. It's funny your a 4runner guy. Wife has a 2003 v8 4runner same lift as mine. Almost same bumper as mine as well. She wheels harder than I do. Our club president has a 96 4runner that he hasn't managed to get stuck yet and gators club president has an 88 on 37s hehe. I indulge in both.
I like both but most of the fj builds compared to the 4th gens are usually cleaner. The 5th gen guys have some really nice builds too. Now that they are discontinuing the fj it makes me like them even more. Another random question but I was thinking radflo vs fox and to me it seems getting the radflo with the 650 lb spring would be better because I wouldn't have to crank up the spring as much to get the lift I want. Is this just a misguided theory on my part? I realize you don't want too stiff but I have a steel bumper and want to add a 2nd battery. The bumper isn't as heavy as shrockworks but it has to at least be 80lbs

·
Registered
140 Posts
If you already have a steel bumper and are going to add another battery I would recommend the 650 at least. Radflo does offer a 700lb spring too, which might not be a bad idea.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Ran my Boss suspension up some off road again today. I installed it this last weekend. Today I went up a road that few will venture, since it is an older jeep trail, meaning it is better for jeeps and something like my 73 Bronco I had, due to size. I had a spotter going up one section that is pretty rough. He stated that had a Tundra that he almost flipped there. . .

So he spotted and I told my wife to watch him and learn. Got part ways, had to flip on the locked rear and got up and out of the narrow run. He was impressed and said he thought that when I stopped for a moment, I must have locked the rear as it was spinning (Atrac was on). So we did our work at some petroglyphs and when we got back to the place, going down this time, I had my wife get out and told her she needed to give me some directions, I looked at my line and started.

Hit a bad area, where you get turned to one side then another, looked to my wife and she is just hyperventilating. . . oh great. Directions? more hyperventilating. lol

So I hit the point where the previous helper had said he had to get someone to pull his truck out of a near flip, and I go up, with a large rock to my left, I put my arm out as I was balancing pushing against a rock on my side. . . Wife. . . more wild looks then I directed her what to look for and what were my tires doing up front? I knew I had to shoot a line, turned my wheel the way I wanted it, gave it the power I wanted and it pulled back down. The sliders did there work, wining like a cat in heat, hit the back side of the bumper, about 3 feet up and out I went. The slider on my side was fantastically scraped and did its job, the rear fender, just scraped up, I don't care.

Fun day with the 3 inch Toytec lift! I told my wife, next time I want her taking pictures!

·
Registered
23 Posts
If you already have a steel bumper and are going to add another battery I would recommend the 650 at least. Radflo does offer a 700lb spring too, which might not be a bad idea.
I definitely will get the 650lb coil! I remember hearing about the 700 lb coil but the rumor on the t4r forum was that a guy named Andres I believe did that at overland warehouse and now hes out of business. I suppose I could get another 700 lb coil though

·
Registered
140 Posts
I definitely will get the 650lb coil! I remember hearing about the 700 lb coil but the rumor on the t4r forum was that a guy named Andres I believe did that at overland warehouse and now hes out of business. I suppose I could get another 700 lb coil though
Metaltech 4x4 has an option for the 700lb coil. It requires extra lead time, probably for revalving.

·
Call me Pickles
831 Posts
Ran my Boss suspension up some off road again today. I installed it this last weekend. Today I went up a road that few will venture, since it is an older jeep trail, meaning it is better for jeeps and something like my 73 Bronco I had, due to size. I had a spotter going up one section that is pretty rough. He stated that had a Tundra that he almost flipped there. . .

So he spotted and I told my wife to watch him and learn. Got part ways, had to flip on the locked rear and got up and out of the narrow run. He was impressed and said he thought that when I stopped for a moment, I must have locked the rear as it was spinning (Atrac was on). So we did our work at some petroglyphs and when we got back to the place, going down this time, I had my wife get out and told her she needed to give me some directions, I looked at my line and started.

Hit a bad area, where you get turned to one side then another, looked to my wife and she is just hyperventilating. . . oh great. Directions? more hyperventilating. lol

So I hit the point where the previous helper had said he had to get someone to pull his truck out of a near flip, and I go up, with a large rock to my left, I put my arm out as I was balancing pushing against a rock on my side. . . Wife. . . more wild looks then I directed her what to look for and what were my tires doing up front? I knew I had to shoot a line, turned my wheel the way I wanted it, gave it the power I wanted and it pulled back down. The sliders did there work, wining like a cat in heat, hit the back side of the bumper, about 3 feet up and out I went. The slider on my side was fantastically scraped and did its job, the rear fender, just scraped up, I don't care.

Fun day with the 3 inch Toytec lift! I told my wife, next time I want her taking pictures!
No pics of the trail or anything???

·
Registered
455 Posts
No pics of the trail or anything???
I had my camera out for my wife but she said she was scared I was going to go over and taking pictures was the last thing on her mind. I told her next time, Take pictures, I can only roll over. . my poor FJ. lol

The area that is rough, isn't that long but very narrow and you have to choose just the right line. Going up I had it, down, no. I will be going again in a few days. It is great for an older narrow jeep as that is what it was made for, not for the wider newer stuff, which is also why I liked my 73 Bronco.

Maybe an additional locking front end would be nice as the locking rear has come in very, very handy.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts